Archinect
anchor

Shigeru Ban

joek

This might be a bit of a long shot but does anyone have, or know of anyone else that has, experience of working for Shigeru Ban?

I am wondering about the office set-up and about the kind of experiences I might get if I was to apply there. I am an 'interior architecture' graduate from the UK with around 3 years experience working in design.

Any information at all about his practice (pay, hours, team structure, CAD software, modelmaking) would be interesting to me, let me know if you can help.

Aug 22, 05 4:47 am
Ludwig

For the Tokyo office they only hire foreigners with some knowledge of Japanese

Aug 22, 05 7:08 am  · 
 · 
joek

thats ok, I can kind of get by in Japanese but its nowhere near good. I guess no-one else knows, ok, not to worry. Worth a try. Thanks anyway guys! :)

Aug 22, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
geno

i have a good friend that worked there for close to a year.
she speaks some japanese and was paid only a small living stipend - which of course didn't purchase much but a few chopsticks in Tokyo. she worked close to 20 hours/day and said it was fantastic experience - but only once. she would never work for free again. good luck!

Aug 22, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
joek

thanks geno. The hours and pay are just about how I imagined, I just wanted to hear someone say whether it was a worthwhile experience or not. I guess if you can ride the full-on work load and no wages, it will pay off in other ways. Thanks again.

Aug 22, 05 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

am sure it would be an awesomne experience.

don't know anyone who has worked for him, but if he is anything like sejima and ito and that lot then the hours will be super hard and pay zero. lots of the young folk in my lab have, or are, working for the big guys but the burnout rate is extreme, and they only got the jobs because of connections at the school...apparently it is a privelege to work for nothing and ruin mind and body for the famous.

would be interesting to hear how a cold call works if you have a go at it. thinking of trying?

Aug 22, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
joek

yeah, my contract is up at the end of March next year and I wanna stay and do some real design work. That was really the point of taking a teaching job, to hopefully step-stone into an actual design job here.

I'll let you know what happens but I am a long way off 'ready'.

Aug 23, 05 1:13 am  · 
 · 
innov8rdi

i got offered a job there this summer as an intern. unfortunately i was unable to take it because they couldn't pay me and i couldn't afford to get myself over there then sustain living conditions without pay. totally sucks. i'd imagine it would have been amazing...

Aug 23, 05 2:12 am  · 
 · 
person

joek,
I would do a little research on the office. I actually havent heard good things about the state of the office -- it might be sliding a bit? You could email RNNR (archinect alias) as he has worked there and told me this -- good luck.

Aug 24, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
joek

thanks person

Aug 24, 05 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
brendtoconnell

Ya I know a guy working for Dean Maltz Architect in New York City. If you can't get into the Tokyo office you might try Maltz. I hear him and Ban collaborate on many projects together.---You also must like working long hours........

Aug 25, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
sanyunglee

does anyone got a internship in SBA?

I accept it and I'll be there from mid June.

Mar 10, 17 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Acay

Hi Sanyunglee I may be going in late June/ early July too- where are you from?

Mar 14, 17 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
sanyunglee

I am from finland but I am korean, just studying in finland now. could you tell me your facebook? we can make private group or something to share information.

Mar 15, 17 5:46 am  · 
 · 
Iwata

Hello, I may be going too. They asked me if the starting date (they proposed) was ok and how long I could work. I confirmed and told them. Then they have been silent until now. I am really confused. Anyone has ever been this situation?

Mar 28, 17 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Acay

Hi mario! Im andrea :) and dont worry they normally take 3 weeks- a month to reply! When will you be going? Maybe sangyung and i can connect to you on fb?

Mar 28, 17 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Iwata

thanks Andrea! however, the starting date will be next week and I have been waiting for two weeks. I sent a few follow-up emails but still - they keep silent which is very frustrating. I don't know what to do.

Mar 29, 17 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Juice

see my comment below

Mar 29, 17 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Acay

thanks ds1 for your detailed info!

Mario- they just literally today sent me an email confirming my place so maybe they are replying everyone in a batch?- have they replied you yet? :( im sorry this is so frustrating...

Mar 29, 17 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Iwata

Thanks for sharing ds1. 

Andrea, i got their response with some paperwork to fill in. when are you coming? i will be there for the whole summer.

Mar 30, 17 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Juice

I interned at SBA. It's generally no pay(you get reimbursed on transportation - the subway). Long hours (usually 10 to 12 hour days). I did maybe 2 or 3 all nighters due to preparations for competitions. You rarely ever talk to Shigeru Ban. He's always busy or flying out. The team is fantastic however. Nice people. Projects are very high profile too. Incredible building systems (super roof structures, complex facades, massive program). Most of the time you will find yourself model making - which can be very long and arduous. If you don't have unique digital production skills (excellent rendering/photoshop, good grasp of grasshopper, fast and adept 3d modeling in rhino) you will find yourself hunched over and model making the entire time. It'll be long, repetitive, and tiring, but in the end you will come out with exposure to high caliber design and global networking. To this day I still keep in touch with, and sometimes meet with my fellow interns I worked with at Shigeru Ban. 

If you're a fragile person, don't do it. It'll break you.

Mar 29, 17 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
sanyunglee

last sentence, it'll break you. haha, thanks for your advice.

Apr 1, 17 2:20 am  · 
 · 
spaceframer

Hello, to those who have interned at Shigeru Ban,

I got a reply from them asking possible starting date. I replied but havent heard from them since then. Its been a week and the starting date is approaching, while I need at least a month for visa application procedures. 

When you said they finally replied with some paperworks to fill in, does this mean visa paperworks? Also, how long was that from the day you replied? Fyi, I am from a country that needs a Certificate of Eligibility to stay in Japan for over 15 days.

Sep 1, 17 5:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: