Archinect
anchor

Music For Grocery Stores

vado retro

Perhaps Brian Eno has already produced a record of ambiant music for grocery shopping, but America's "Horse With No Name" actually works quite well.

Jul 31, 05 11:39 am
driftwood

Yeah?

Jul 31, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

My girlfriend heard "Hey-ya" and Green Day at Whole Foods...

Aug 1, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Glassbreaks

, DJ BC hip-hip mash-up with Philip Glass.

Aug 1, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I prefer to shop in silence. And don't even get me started on my rant about whole foods...I'll spare everyone.

Aug 1, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

everyone's wearing headphones these days anyway, feeding in their own soundtracks. isn't public place music becoming more and more obscolete?

Aug 1, 05 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

bryan4arch,
try living in a place like albuquerque and you'd THANK GOD for whole paycheck foods. i'm psyched that we should have a trader joe's in 6 months.
now rant please....

Aug 1, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

bryan finoki's comment reminds me of an old bolshoi lyric (a song from the walkman era, no less). in honor of lyric-quoting vado, the author of this thread, from 'books on the bonfire':

"we used to converse
so long ago.
now we exist
in our personal stereo."

Aug 1, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

bryan4arch - Wouldn't that mean grocery stores would have to pump in white noise to cancel out all ambient sound. How cool would that be, shopping in a vacuum? Very sci-fi. I'm all for it, shopping would take on a whole new surrealistic quality.

Aug 1, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and now that we've gotten to the point where ramones songs are used in diet pepsi ads, i wanna hear some punk rock at my kroger! bring on jello biafra and henry rollins pitching charmin, baby!

Aug 1, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

dah dah dat dah da dah da dat dah
I wanna buy sedatives.

Aug 1, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

nice quote Steven.

by the way, this is a good read on the topic. Elevator Music: A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong by Joseph Lanza

Aug 1, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

slate magazine has started posting their own audio commentaries for museums.
probably not nearly subversive enough but it leads me to think of a site with a fascinating possibility of downloadable narratives linked to space; a spatially mapped ubuweb??? anyone know if something like this already exists?

Aug 1, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

My girlfriend heard "Hey-ya" and Green Day at Whole Foods..

I miss shopping in a trance to the music of Astrud Gilberto, Stan Goetz & the likes of them. Winn-Dixie, where art tou?

Aug 1, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i love independent record store music.
my worst grocery store music experience always coincides with christmas.
albertson's play instrumental super tramp. breakfast in america is usually a tad turned up around bacon.

Aug 1, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i also like that chevrolet is using a steve earle tune. i doubt that they know he is an excon and self proclaimed marxist. the revolution starts now.

Aug 1, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

abra-

mall music definitely takes a toll on the soul during the holiday season. maybe that's why suicide rates go up?

i like shopping at the 24 hr supermarkets when it's past around midnight. the lights are turned down a bit and it's super quiet. and you can run around with the cart and everyone's too tired to care.

Aug 1, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

it's corny, but I actually really love it during december when they all play christmas music. Just a little bit of nostalgia, as my family used to do a really good christmas, til my parents vacated the country.

Aug 1, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

A Center for Ants?
it's past around midnight. the lights are turned down a bit and it's super quiet.

Are you kidding? Every grocery store I've been too late at night has the music cranked, the stockers are usually all rocking out. I remember one store used to bring out speakers and set the on the checklanes and crank it to 11. And I should know, I worked as a stocker for awhile, not to be confused with stalker which I've never done.

Aug 1, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was at a local sporting goods store a few months back and ryan adams' song "wish you were" came on. i couldnt hear it very well but my version of that disc has a lyric that says "its all fucked up its all a bunch of shit its totally fucked up, wish you were here" i dont know how you edit that one. keep shopping kids.

Aug 1, 05 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

Treasure Island in CHicago has the best soundtrack...even the employees going around singing...

Aug 1, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah but they are all pirate songs. matey

Aug 1, 05 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: