Archinect
anchor

Share your Networking tips;Do's and Don'ts

Rasa

Seeing how important networking is in getting a job, I thought I would start a thread about how one should "network".I am not sure if this has been covered before.

So what are your networking tips?Any particular strategies you use/used?Do you have any interesting stories?

Oct 2, 11 2:20 pm

#1 and the most important thing is this: you're building relationships. real relationships - ones where you're reaching out to help someone in whatever they're doing (more than asking them to do something for you, like hire you) are what drive a successful business. trust is everything in our line of work. being genuine in your relationships is what develops trust.

everything else you'll hear are just ways to get to #1....

Oct 2, 11 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

In general, while networking, ask for informational interviews and informal sit downs, not for jobs, in the first instance.  It's more likely that the person you're networking with might know somebody who might be hiring.. or know's somebody who knows somebody.

I've always had the most success getting leads for networking opportunities from my various schools' alumni organizations. .. most of whom keep directories tagged by firm and industry. Alums of your alma mater love to talk with newer graduates and you automatically have common ground with them, conversationally speaking.  Some of them may be looking to establish mentor-mentee relationships, either because they genuinely want to for the sake of doing so or because they are encouraged to do so by their own professional alumni and charitable affiliations.  Don't limit yourself to just the alumni orgs of your latest grad school.. go all the way back.  If nothing else, it's a great opportunity to get reacquainted with your undergrad institutions or even with your high school or prep school.

Believe it or not, linkedin actually works fairly well. It can be a difficult place to start because you need connections to make connections, but one technique is to join a few groups that are of interest to you.  Search for groups having to do with architecture, urbanism, green building, etc.  There are plenty of them.  Start posting interesting and intelligent comments, and then, as people reply to you, check out their profiles and if what they do looks interesting to you, make contact with them directly using inmail or just direct emailing.  Introduce yourself and see where it goes.  

Finally, there's local AIA and other professional events.  However, I've found that it can be hard to engage with people you don't already know at such events unless they're specifically designed for networking.  Conferences can work the same way.

The one networking path that I've never had any luck with is family and family friends.  My extended family includes people in real estate development, principals at big firms, people who employ architects, etc, so one would think that this would have been a successful route.  But no, I can't even convince my parents to accept pro bono services from me in their home (mcmansion) renovation, much less be able to convince them to hire me or refer me to potential clients in their circle.  It doesn't matter that I now have years of experience and hold a senior position at a large and very reputable firm.  They still won't even think of accepting free work from their dutiful progeny.  To them, I'll always be the clumsy brat of 5 who smashed the family heirlooms when he gleefully jumped around the living room ;)

Oct 2, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I totally agree with Gregory.

For me reciprocation is necessary in networking. I hate the idea of "networking" where it is all about using people to get a job. Actually that is not even networking..If I add somebody to my professional network it means I should be able to help them when it is needed so I should be able to provide services that benefit them or help them in any other way using my skills. If I believe I can't help them in any way and have to do nothing but ask them for a favor then I don't add them to my network because I'm way too damn proud.

I don't go to "networking events". I prefer to meet people in more casual environments just like I don't go to bars to meet women. Imho both situations are forced and people fake things.

I have friends whom I can include in my network but I keep them separate from the other professional "network list". I tread carefully in those waters because I'd hate to damage the friendship accidentally while trying to get ahead in business.

Oct 2, 11 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Rasa

Interesting stuff! You guys raise an interesting point that networking is not a one sided thing only.This is quite overlooked!

Oct 3, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

Gregory is totally right. I "network" most everyday. Doesn't have to be an awkward thing like it sounds like. 

Oct 3, 11 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Another one to second Gregory's comments: authenticity is key. Once you've nailed that, the doors will open.

Oct 4, 11 11:16 am  · 
 · 
medi

Be professional not annoying.

Oct 4, 11 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: