Archinect
anchor

Seeking constructive thesis feedback.

LITS4FormZ

I'm presenting my thesis topic in a couple of weeks so before I go in front of the firing squad I was wondering if my fellow archinectors would care to give some constructive criticism beforehand. 

Disclaimer: I have no political ties to or opinions regarding the policies of the People's Republic of China. Not looking to stir up controversy, just a guy looking to finish his academic career doing a project that is both personally fulfilling and intellectually satisfying. 

Having worked on built projects in the China and taken several site visits I know all too well about the living conditions of the workers that are actually putting together our vision (well, more like clients vision, but I like to think we have a small part in it). Maybe architects can do more than just design a place to live for a "fu er dai" (second generation rich) but find a way to improve the living situation of the people who are actually making your scribble on a napkin a reality . Because of this, I will propose a system of on-site housing integrated within the confines of 4 unique construction sites using the same kit-of-parts in different cities and climates across China. The majority of the workers, especially in 2nd tier cities which is the focus of my research, already live on the site in the barren building frames, basements or slapped together "worker's housing." I'm proposing an inexpensive, modular construction system using the resources already available on the site with minimal additions to effectively house the majority of construction laborers working on each particular project. 

I will be traveling to China for just over a month this coming winter to complete research on my thesis. I plan to interview architects, developers, laborers, young professionals and retired workers during my trip. Knowing enough Mandarin to get along on my own and having several friends and colleagues that are willing to help me on my 8000km trek across 12 different cities, this is something I know I can pull off. I know all about the "tao" of filming in China and have the "guan xi" to make this happen. This is something that I am truly passionate about and would be a fitting end to my time in academia before I head back to the far east to restart my career.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. And if any Chinese archinectors would like to be a part of the interview process I would be more than happy to see if our paths will cross on my journey. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I hope to create a dialogue to advance this concept!

Sep 26, 11 10:40 pm
Rusty!

You give them housing, and next thing you know these assholes want to unionize. And they want human rights and shit.

Sounds like a really cool thesis project. I do hope you have researched the hell out of England's industrial revolution. The precedents can not be ignored.

Your thesis topic is very much political, no matter how much you say it isn't.

Sep 27, 11 1:05 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Thank you very much rusty!, English industrial rev housing is a perfect precedent. I've been focusing on housing typologies during various boom periods throughout history from ancient Rome to Dubai. 

You are right, the topic is quite political. However, I will have to do what I can to avoid the connection while filming abroad as it can get one into trouble. Those comments and connections can be added later. 

Oct 3, 11 11:37 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

really cool thesis! are you blogging about any of your research?

Oct 3, 11 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Thanks jk3hl! I'm going to try Archinects new blogging system (provided that I get approved of course). I'm also required to blog every couple of days during my research trip to keep my thesis advisor happy since I'll be missing close to 3 weeks at the start of the spring semester. 

Oct 3, 11 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
willthomson

Hi -- LITS4FormZ --

Really interested to hear more about your research, and if you come through Xi'an during your trip, please drop me a line. I am an anthropologist -- I've been in Xian for the past year with a grant from the NSF, living with construction workers and researching the relationship between architecture and construction. I think your project is really interesting approach and think there's probably a lot to talk about. Anyway, would love to chat with you about your experiences and plans -- wthomson --(AT)-- gmail .

Dec 16, 11 3:31 am  · 
 · 

beyond the social/political proposal that such housing should exist and that there is a technical way to provide it, i'd like to hear more about what your specifically architectural proposal is. what will this thesis do to further an architectural dialogue? what makes it different from how mass housing has been approached in the past, from early industrial England, through early 20thC Germany, post-depression US 'projects', to current hope vi-type re-shufflings? 

Dec 16, 11 6:28 am  · 
 · 
rsiddiqui

Hello LITS4FormZ,

This is more of an elaboration of what Steven Ward has posted above- It seems that your proposal needs to further elaborate what it is exploring architecturally other than function.  There are numerous precedents of mass housing- how does this relate to these precedents and how will it be different?

Lots of luck to you!  This sounds really interesting and will hopefully be a successful and fulfilling way to complete your studies.

Dec 16, 11 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: