Archinect
anchor

Dear Abra

TED

Dear Abra;

it was hotter than hell in shit-cago yesterday[104]. but finished my deck and am looking forward to chapter 18.

8 weeks to go....dont know if i can finish.

as always, [but sweating...]

TED

btw; when i logged into 'nect yesterday, seems as if the old domain name hadnt been renewed and archinect was not accessible. do you think we should take up a collection for PP? its only 19.95 i think.....

Jul 25, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear ted,
nice deck i am sure.
i've the same problem with network. each time i click, i see the guy digging and constructing a website. if you get this messege, don't worry no more.
first, i thought i was given a mandatory leave.

Jul 26, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear ted,
nice deck i am sure.
i've the same problem with network. each time i click, i see the guy digging and constructing a website. if you get this messege, don't worry no more.
first, i thought i was given a mandatory leave.

Jul 26, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

No mandatory leave, just a reenactment of the law of silence Constantine issued 24-25 July 326.

Similar reenactment happened at Design-L and Architecthetics exactly two years ago.

Jul 26, 05 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Gosh abra, what is the thick of Reenactment Season 2005 (the beginning of September) going to be like?

Jul 26, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear rita,
some possibilities are
gehry will reenact his stucco-ta with oldenberg with a sharp swiss army knife,
mayne will reenact 2,4,6,8 house, adding a 17.
rem will say 'delirious me' and reenact his museum space appearence,
venturi's reenactment will be one hagia sophia and a half manifesto,
zaha will continue to reattack the mack,
and homerus of smyrna will reenact iliad with happy ending, against his contract.
and yes, law of silence is on again, with the same ending but with a new carthage twist on the 'perhaps lost cross.'
all bypassing me with 'thick freakness' on my equonox in late september.

Jul 26, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Ah yes, I forgot you and Helena share the same birthday. Silly me. And thanks for the "heads up."

Jul 26, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
evangelicalbunny

Dear Abra,

I hear that shit (literally, speaking) is hot right now, is that so?

With Love!

eb

Jan 4, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Dear eb,
You’ve heard nothin yet. Wait until hot shit, ‘hs’, is mixed up with boil'n piss, ‘bp’, resulting in high quality methane, puttingWillie out of business.

as always,
Amen.

Jan 4, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh yes, the sage returns!

dear abra

what do i do about my ex-girlfriend who keeps calling my crying at 7:30 in the morning and asking me to take her back? i feel pretty bad about it, but i think we're better off without each other for now, especially since i'm moving away.

Jan 4, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
rhys

dear abra,
how repulsive it is to return to work. every one keeps asking how the holidays were. when i tell them that i have been violated by this "holiday" they stare at me. i need a holiday from the holidays. please advise.

Jan 4, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dear abra:

My office is in my partner's basement. His two cats always come down and use the litter boxes while I work, causing the "office" to smell like cat pee. Financially, would I be better off selling the pee to Willie Nelson for biodeisel instead of trying to practice architecture under these conditions?

Quivering in anticipation of your response,

liberty bell

Jan 4, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear bossman,
tell er you need your z’s and she is an X. the reasons you’ve split are still there and she is crying because she has not met vado retro, yet.. stand tough and don’t be a nice guy, if you want to finish this faulty relation off.. i know i know., i am not a heartless sob but i’ve been on both sides of the tracks, unless you cut it off now, problem grows harder and bites you in the ‘mass’ later..

dear rhvs,
holiday violence can be very disturbing.
next time someone asks you how the holidays were, just yell ‘jiiihaaaad’ and run out of the room.

dear lb,
whaat? i am growing suspicious on this partner of yours.. first the cab drawings during christmas, than another deadline for more the same, and now the cat piss in the basement.. are you kidding me? take your equipment and set up in the best space in his house and see if he is a true partner or just a kittypiss closet case..
actually i’ve given up the idea of home office long ago, +, business partnership are healthier in neutral spaces on equal footing.

Jan 4, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dear abra:

Forgive me for being so self-centered in that last question for which you provided your usual wise and enlightening advice.

I should have prefaced my request by first inquiring as to your 2006 resolution: are you still cigarette free?

With best wishes for your continued health,

liberty bell

Jan 5, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

thanks for the support lb.
guess what, i am still smoke free. but let me tell this, it was really hard coming back to office last tuesday and not have a cigarette in my hand. i went through withdrawal crisis yesterday and would consider snorting up heroin, if some was around..! i feel better now and passed the 2 weeks mark a couple days ago. that would have been +,- 640 cigs chain smoked (this type of counting helps me to stay away for now ;).
yes, it is possible to teach old addicts some new tricks..

Jan 5, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay!! So, so, so proud of you abra! They say it is harder to quit nicotine than to quit heroin. So (go ahead and snort some if you have it and) keep tallying those passed up cancer sticks. Good for you!!

Jan 5, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
e

congrats abra and best of luck to you. i have seen so many of my friends struggle with this. currently, my best friend is trying to kick the habit. a while back he started chewing instead of smoking. yes, chewing. his theory was to get himself to stop smoking first and then kick the nicotine. seems some what reasonable to me, but certainly a grosser looking habit. he has tried every possible way to quit so far and no other solutions have worked. his goal was to stop chewing on new year's eve. my fear is that he has not stopped.

i know he wants to stop. i have been pretty tough on him in a few instances in the past. his girlfriend says that i am the only one of his friends who gives him a hard time. his other friends either say nothing or discourage him from stopping. i want to be tough with him again, but i also don't want to lose a friend in the process. what should i do if he has not stopped?

as always, your wisdom is always appreciated.

Jan 5, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

there is not much you can do e. except, that you remind him what he also 'wants' to do, but thats about it. 'tough love' with smoking? umm.. maybe..i doubt it, since tobacco doesn't drop you to the bottom levels of social life.
i have never quit heroin and speed. i just don't do them anymore.
i quit alcohol (if i could drink like you do, i wouldn't have) and now cigarettes. both i did cold turkey and because i really wanted and before i would have been told to do so in some dr's office or in er.
alcohol has been 6 years and smokes little over 2 weeks.

anyway, best friends are very hard to come by. most addictions stem from a chemical imbalance, so i am told, but friendships stem from love. be patient with your friend, seems like he is just around the corner. he is already succeded in quit smoking which i think is harder.

also, his girlfriend holds a real trump card against his havb'it'.
take care e. you are a good friend to have..

Jan 5, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

Dear Abra /

1. I can't find my car keys it's 6 oclock and I have to be on the other side of town in an hour.
What should I do?
2. I think I'm in love with a girl I haven't spoken with in almost 4 years. Should i call her and if I do what should i say?
3. Are past mistakes repairable?

Jan 5, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

1.check your pants.
2.check her pants and make sure they are not too much larger. if so okay, ask her if she can give you a ride to the other side.
3.it is better to leave mistakes unrepaired and keep learning from them.

Jan 5, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
autre

abra-
I have a tentative project being offered to me- but the (unatractive)client wants to get in my pants - the project will take longer than i could ever stand to be sleeping with the client- leading someone on for that long just won't work - how do i keep the job and avoid the bad-and-eventualy-project-ending sex..?
-whorechitect

Jan 6, 06 2:38 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear intern whorechitect,
welcome to whorechitecture 101;
a real seasoned sr whorechitect would never judge the potential client through the color of their skin, and other existing facade conditions.
make sure to discuss the extra's section of your contract with a lawyer and add this note; "whorechitect retains the right to sub out the extra work as he/she deems necessary".
remember part of your job to make good lemonade from bad lemons and bring out the hidden beauty. also important is to protect your client's safety, welfare and health by having good quality condoms available and clean the job site after each 'project' meeting.

Jan 6, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

patience indeed abra. thx.

Jan 6, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

abra - still with cute underachiever. Melbourne on hold due to $$$. Any advice on how to get $$$? Or how to turn cute underachiever into cute overachiever? Or is there some sort of exhange program where I can turn in a cute underachiever for an Aussie overachiever of similar cuteness and loyalty?

Jan 6, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

you've got to market cute ua in some $$$ circles. yes pimping..thats why the ua's are there, to be marketed and make money on them. you ain't no oa unless you make $$$ on ua's.
don't underestimate pimping.

"I dipped in my stash, splurged on a chain / Now I'm Titanic, Iceberg's the name" - Jay-Z
Jigga My Nigga

Jan 7, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
snooker

intern.....you should invest in a camera...just for protection!

Jan 8, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Dear Abra,

My family is so f*cked up, what should I do?

Jan 9, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i know a nice little audrey from brixton for that brat grandson of yours so you can stop the inter-bredding that has occurred generations upon generations

[btw arent you actually blood relations to that philip of yours?]

Jan 9, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear betsy,
this chart will explain some of the complications as well as what TED pointed out.
i'd say it is time to choose 'bismillah' and complete the pilgrimage to mecca and add a nice red crescent to union jack..

Jan 9, 06 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
TED

abra!

is this an old torie ploy to up further the price of gas in the uk by marrying into the royal family ?

how will this go over with the co-allition partners from around the world?

come on now jenna bush, yes! she deserves a place in the royal oil family - god know with all that worrying her daddy and gramps have had going for the past 12 years -- but its really green here - signed the kyoto papers and all -- i hear charles and his child bride just ordered up a hybrid bentley for around town.

Jan 9, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

love is blind

Jan 9, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

and she arab

Jan 9, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Dear abra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help - - - ! - - - ?

I am impressed by the page 2 of your advice.

Much respect is given thee.

So what can I do about my small . . . problem?

Well, my friends are nice and I like them, but sometimes when they take me out to bars they buy me drinks and I don't remember what happened - which is OK - - - but my backside is sometimes a bit tender afterwards.

Do you think this will effect the buildings I design in the future?

Jan 9, 06 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear d&c,
oh yea. your buildings will get better and better. but you'll start to spend extra effort 'trying to remember to forget' what happened the night before.
take care your back, which is a terrible thing to waste..

Jan 9, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
arqa

Dear Abra,
what does it mean when within an "in-school" weekend charette the jury is too high profile (facutly jury is really good and non faculty jury are being flown in from high places) while the student body expresses no interest because I go to a boring school and no one realizes what's going on. By the way, promotion has been horrible, and it's fair to say the jury expect boring entries.
The only thing I can think of is that something is going on within the realm of academia that's got nothing to do with the competition.... Or am I wrong and should I bust my balls and try to win?

Jan 18, 06 12:33 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Dear Abra,

You have any creative Ideas, for how to squeeze a client for a past due payment, without pissing him off?

Jan 18, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear arqa,
be patient. stick with it, be yourself, and try to shine. sounds like faculty is to your liking and it is just a matter of time you meet more students in your level and interest.

if the other students are boring in your opinion, do something more exciting and see who will respond to it and make friends with them.

sometimes i think your generation is really lucky that you can, with your computers, reach to the furthest corners of architecture and keep yourselves educated beyond the schools. something like this did not exist when i was in school and a lecture by an important architect and few magazines and books were the three most common things we knew what was happening.
good luck with your work. all the best.

Jan 18, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You think I should toilet paper his house?

Jan 18, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Dear abra.

No one likes me. What do I do? Not being popular isn't an option anymore.

Jan 18, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you just need a song writtn bout cha driftwood...

Jan 18, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Dear Abra,

shouldn't you reply
haiku form provide insight
mystical you are

Jan 18, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

You think I should toilet paper his house?

dear snook,
why not., if that is all he'll get.
No one likes me.

dear driftwood,
when i update the list, i'll make sure you'll be in. and if vado writes one of his hits, you'll be across the board famous for the rest of your archinect duration. thats waaay better than the regular 15 minutes most people get.

shouldn't you reply
haiku form provide insight
mystical you are

dear betsy,
papa was
a rolling stone

Jan 19, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 

dear abra,
this is my my second post in this site under my real name. i just realized there used to be at least 4 pages of links in the web under my name until 2 years ago and now they are all gone except a few. do you think it is important to have a strong google presence when applying for a editorial job in archinect?

Jan 22, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

dear Orhan Ayyuce,
with a name like that, you're destined to be a senior editor in archinect. and, if Javier chooses to accept the offer from discovery tv, you might well be on your way to be a top dog.
don't worry about the google presence. the trend is right now, most well googled people are taking down some of the categories google toodles them with. a famous friend told me 'a name is too much of a good thing to waste in google'. i agree..

Jan 23, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 

thanks abra,
i hope you didn,t mind me to post the response in archinect..

Jan 23, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

don't fuck with me orhan..that was an insider info/advice.

Jan 23, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hey abracadabra, i have three wishes can you tell me what i should wish for?

oh, and how about at least one prediction or magic trick?

Jan 23, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dear abra:

"Senior Editor Abra" I love that idea!!!!

John "Cougar" Mellencamp started using his real name and next thing you know he's being given exhibitions of his paintings and treated as a respected painter in addition to making a ton of money touring as a musician.

Granted Mel-len-camp is a pretty easy name to pronounce. Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Orhan Ayyuce, or should I google it?

Yours, liberty

PS still smoke-free?

Jan 23, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear lb,
Or-han (han pronounced like hon as in hon-ey)
Ayyuce (I- you- che)

smoke free and proud. thanks for the continuing support lb. i hope all that hard work during holidays paid out for you.

dear betadinesutures,
health, happiness and good projects. (i know you had some health issues last year and i hope all is fine now.)

i predict 2006 is going to be the year of anti-starchitect. and total collapse of star sytem by 2007.

Jan 23, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Dear abra-

long time reader, first time writer,

Where will be the best place to see the collapse of the star system? Can you look at it directly, or do I have to buy sun glasses or some other object to protect myself?

Here's to an NYC-like architectural sky!!!!!!

Jan 23, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: