Archinect
anchor

gay architects

biomec

also one more question... you user name pasha....
is this in any way in refrence to talal pasha.

if so.... then i have another bone to pick with you!

Jun 19, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
pasha

man hasn't changed in thousands of years.. its a same old tomb, sometimes its more intricate and sophisticated but the same dead bones are inside.. sometimes i get a little whiff of what's inside as i read this thread, and the grim future is only more certain..

the history of homosexuality is ridden with pain, suffering. and its hard to trace accurately the ups and downs of it through history for obvious reasons.. i never had that class. hehe..
but i wanted to reason how a psychology of a society develops through time. how is it that after a period that produces such revolutionary art and music a violence breaks out?
lets look at the french before the revolution. the 1750 produced a style called rococo which was intricate and beautiful, and 40 years later all hell broke loose.. why? look at germany in the 20's, what source of art and architecture! but 20 years later blood was flowing in rivers..
why?

i don't understand how people can say things like "science is on the way to prove that something is because of this" what kind of science is this?! you start with a conclusion and work backwards?

and the rise of homosexuality after sexual revolutions is a coincidence?

and the fact that 50-80% of homosexuals were sexually abused as children should be ignored?

http://www.leaderu.com/jhs/lively.html

Jun 20, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

pasha, do you realize just how gay you come across here?

Oh, and what great historical event do you attribute to your basic stupidity? Or is it purely genetic?

Jun 20, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

"i don't understand how people can say things like "science is on the way to prove that something is because of this" what kind of science is this?! you start with a conclusion and work backwards?"

no. I said that because scientists have found evidence that STRONGLY SUGGESTS genetics to be the cause of homosexuality in humans, but does not ENTIRELY prove it. I felt that saying this was better than saying that it proved something that it does not QUITE do. But now that they have found this thing which strongly suggests this to be the case, yes, they will set out to prove (or, by some tiny chance, disprove) what has been suggested by the fruit flies.

Did you ever study the scientific method in school? I was taught it around the fourth grade. People don't just go and spend money experimenting on stuff for no reason. They set out to prove or disprove a theory which they hold. We're a lot closer to proving the genetics theory than the abuse one.

Please site your source which indicates that "50-80% of homosexuals were sexually abused as children."

Jun 20, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

pasha you have still yet to prove that homosexuality has anything to do with promescuity or violence. you sound more and more ignorant as this thread goes on.

iand while you're at it, i'd also be interested in knowing your source or how 50-80% of homosexuals were sexually abused as children. none of miy friends were abused as childern. not one. and with numbers like that, at least one of my friends would have been.

Jun 20, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
forever

Wrong wrong wrong....

..the correct statistic is 50-80% of homosexuals are sexually frustrated as adults.

trust me.

Jun 20, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

bump.

pasha, you have posted on other threads. i patiently await your response to e's request.

Jun 21, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and it can't be anything that says "50%-80% of Southern Baptists admit to abusing their gay children". It doesn't count if they were abused because their parents found out they were gay and tried to beat it out of them.

Jun 21, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
ether

"i don't understand how people can say things like "science is on the way to prove that something is because of this" what kind of science is this?! you start with a conclusion and work backwards?"

i think it's called a hypothesis, but i could be wrong.

Jun 21, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rationalist, very funny (and sadly true) comment!

Jun 21, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

liberty- I was just trying to think of how her 50-80% abused comment could have any basis in fact. That was all I could come up with!

Jun 21, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

oh shoot. that doesn't even make sense, either. I'd forgotten that she said 50-80% were *sexually* abused. Maybe guys raping lesbians, hoping to turn them straight? Nah, I just can't find any way it makes sense.

Jun 21, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice effort rationalist. those numbers are complete bullshit. pasha has yet to back up any claim they have made with fact. until then...

Jun 21, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
rtdc

Pasha - you said:

Anyone with a 4th grade education (book-learnin') would reply

hy·poth·e·sis
Pronunciation: hI-'pä-th&-s&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural hy·poth·e·ses /-"sEz/
Etymology: Greek, from hypotithenai to put under, suppose, from hypo- + tithenai to put -- more at DO

2 : a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences

Jun 21, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

man, i thought i was done here..

e:
http://www.geocities.com/home60515/3.html

anyway, sorry for getting some of you so agitated.. you know who you are..

i think most of you misunderstand the real human condition.
we really aren't born good.
the good that we do is often selfish.
but how easy it is to let ourselves out.
it would take eternity to vent all the filth that is inside of us.
and it only increases as time goes on..
we say, teens are hormonal and need to vent. so we say experience it, but be safe.. hah!
we're opening pandora's box.. that is basically my point..

Jun 21, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
dia

pasha: "it would take eternity to vent all the filth that is inside of us".
It seems to me that you are full of self loathing... and thats a shame.

Jun 21, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

this is your proof? and article put out by a biased homosexual hating group such as HOME >> heterosexuals organized for a moral environment? you'll have to do better than that.

Jun 21, 05 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

pasha, you seem to have also missed the lesson (occured in different grade levels, sometime around the invention of the internet) on distinguishing reliable sources from unreliable sources. Geocities pages are considered to be UNreliable sources, because any crackpot can post a geocities page. If you choose not to heed this, there are several other warning signs that you should have noticed:

1) some of the sources cited in the article are older than I am. Most of them would be considered out of date by the scientific community, considering what a great number of relevent studies have been conducted since then. VERY few of them are current. It does not take into account (or even aknowledge) more recent studies which indicate that genetics are responsible for homosexuality (like the fruit fly study linked to many posts ago).

2) the author alternately refers to their views as 'facts' and as 'theories'. They do not seem sure whether they are facts, so you should not take them as such.

3) NOWHERE does it say that 50-80% of homosexuals WERE abused as children. The one place it indicates that, "The review also found that: "Abused [male] adolescents, particularly those victimized by males, were up to 7 times more likely to self-identify as gay or bisexual than peers who had not been abused."5", the footnote 5 noted afterwards simply says, "5. Ibid". No further explanation of "Ibid" is given. What the heck is "Ibid"? This lack of proper documentation turns the most critical point of the paper into the flimsiest. In addition, since the paper also notes that very few people will admit to having been sexually abused, it would follow that we cannot rely on self reporting, which this source does. It may instead be true that those who self identify as gay are for some reason more willing to admit to having been sexually abused. This is a classic case of someone assuming that because two things have a relationship, that item A follows from item B, when it is just as logical that item B follows from item A instead.

Altold, I find that this paper has a very poor grasp of both logic and writing, and is not a source that I would trust. If you choose to do so, that is your choice, but recognize that you are basing a piece of your worldview on what is at best a very tenous extremist theory.

Jun 21, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
dia

i·bi·d
ADVERB: abbr. ib. or ibid. In the same place. Used in footnotes and bibliographies to refer to the book, chapter, article, or page cited just before.

Meaning, it refers to the previous reference being "4. W.C. Holmes and G.B. Slap, "Sexual Abuse of Boys," JAMA, Dec. 2, 1998, p. 1859."

Jun 21, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Also, as an afterthought: MY theory as to the reason why more abuse victims self identify as homo or bisexual is because abusers prey on those who respond to them. I'll try to find the link if anyone's interested, but I recently read an interview with one of those molester priests, where he said that he picked the boys which were most responsive to a tentative touch, most willing to spend time alone with him, etc. Therefor, it is not a big leap to conclude that homosexuals (yes, even those who don't realize it yet) could be more responsive to these gestures than heterosexual boys would be, and therefor get abused more often. This is one of the MANY conclusions that can be drawn from the raw numbers cited in that article.

Jun 21, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

diabase- thx. That's one I'd never encountered before. The rest of my arguement stands.

Jun 21, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
dia

rationalist - I concur.

Jun 21, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

Gay kids also tend to be picked on more, are more shy. Therefore an adult who gives them attention and protection will find it easier to befriend them. I don't really know where I stand on the nature versus nurture argument, but I do believe that alot of situations and events only occur cause you are already gay.

Jun 21, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

indeed rationalist, indeed.

Jun 21, 05 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
soylent

No, nobody is born gay. People obviously choose to be gay, because ostracism, tormentation, and bigotry are something we all strive to deal with in our everyday lives. Sexual promiscuity is also definitely, invariably leads to homosexuality. That's why many queers know at an early age, even before puberty or any sexual experimentation, that they are attracted to people of the same sex.
Geez, people are so ignorant these days.

Jun 22, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

PLEASE say you were being sarcastic, soylent... ? It's hard to tell over the internet sometimes.

Jun 22, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
e

hmmm, soylent's first and only post. maybe s/he wasn't being sarcastic and adopted a new screen name because s/he's a coward.

Jun 22, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
soylent

hmm, definitely sarcastic. i couldn't make it any more obvious, unless you were to believe that a person could have such horrible flaws in the usage of basic logic.

and i'm no coward, just a silly little noob.

Jun 23, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

OK, With all this jabbering, there must be a lot of clients wondering where their Interior Designers are. Not that there's anything wrong w/ Interior Design.

Jun 23, 05 10:58 am  · 
 · 
e

soylent, you silly little noob, after some of pasha's rants and weak facts, ya never know.

Jun 23, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 

soylent- have you read anything pasha wrote, or linked to? After reading that shit, I had to ask! Glad it was sarcasm.

Jun 23, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

whatever happened to asexual architects?

Jun 23, 05 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
zanzibar

yeah, Alexander the Great, Emperor Hadrian were signs of ...what times ?  pasha will maybe prescribe electroshock therapy, since his views date from the 50s (result of sex abuse..promiscuity..some kind of immanent damnation... ). the apocalypse is around the corner..get ready, everybody. It's like Kinsey, Michel Foucault or any kind of scientific research are worthless.

It is an interesting question. Fashion is made by gay men. The contemporary image of women is shaped by gay men, from Christian Dior to Marc Jacobs.

It would be interesting to see what influence gay men have on architecture. On the list : Philip Johnson, Michelangelo.. please add names

who knows about the sexual preferences of Palladio, Bruno Taut, Le Corbusier, Mallet Stevens, Mies, Jean Nouvel ?

Jul 18, 12 8:31 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

To be honest I have been in that industry for a while and can't think of a gay colleague. At least not that I know.

Jul 18, 12 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

male lions fuck each other once in a while.

so do dogs.

and penguins.

and virtually any other mammal/bird out there.

pasha, stfu.

oh yeah, and bison. remember bison.

Jul 19, 12 8:16 am  · 
 · 
job job

Queer discourse on Archinect was volatile back then.

I remember the bison

Jul 19, 12 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
garystephencooper

Hi Guys, Anyone know how I could find a good architectural job

Mar 13, 17 5:03 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Use an app called Grindr

Mar 13, 17 6:51 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Gay structural engineers use Girdr

Mar 13, 17 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Not like this Gary.
Mar 13, 17 6:14 am  · 
 · 
arifj

I did a Bachelors at a large Southeastern school, and in my class of maybe 50 people there were 2 gay people. 

In my Masters program at a private NYC institution, out of again about 50 people there are 6 gay/lesbian people. 

However, of course gay or straight not everyone from academic programs actually pursues architecture into the professional world, in fact in my undergrad it might have only been 60-70% of people who pursued architecture after grad. So who knows how these stats translate into the professional world.

But, hopefully things progress forward love to see more LGBTQ, minority and female architects joining the profession. 

Mar 13, 17 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I took a design class in the summer and at studio I met a gay guy who was Hispanic. We worked on each others projects and got along just fine. That summer semester didn't go well and I round up re taking the design class during the spring and passed.

Mar 13, 17 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
joshyoung

i am looking for an internship. Can anyone help me?

Apr 13, 20 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
joshyoung

Yes, I'm Gay. If I'm hot or not? that will you decide.

Apr 13, 20 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Don't care about your sexuality or attractiveness. Are you a decent person with an understanding of building science who possesses good presentation skills?

Apr 14, 20 9:55 am  · 
 · 
joshyoung

Hello Chad Millar,
My last response was for someone who asked about my sexuality. But, he deleted his comment.

Yes, I'm a diligent guy and I have completed my Bachelor's in Architecture in 2018. I have work experience of 1 year and 6months.

I have a good presentation skills.

Rest you can judge my skills on the basis of my portfolio.

Apr 14, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 
archi_gram's comment has been hidden
archi_gram

I mean after 15 years, the question now becomes who isn't gay (staring at some GSD alumni, faculties

Apr 14, 20 2:23 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

a civil engineer friend likes to call me a "unicorn." I'm white, straight, somewhat athletic, and an architect.

Apr 14, 20 8:50 am  · 
 · 

I'm with ya...I'm so straight and white, gym guy, married with kids - my presence itself is offensive! ;)

Apr 14, 20 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: