Archinect
anchor

I need advice - Graduate Studies

The Architect

Hey guys..

I've been considering taking a Master's degree in my profession for quite some time now. I'm a design architect, and have been working for almost 3 years. I'm more into the the history and philosophy of architecture, not really into the engineering and/or management fields of this profession.

What advice do you have for me?

Also, as convenient as it is, is there any point trying to find online universities that give such degrees without having to quit my job? I'm working with a good company, and the market doesn't look promising for me to prance away and then try to apply again later..

Anything? Much appreciated :)

Sep 7, 11 7:48 am
xactly

That's a tough one. I'm only a first year M. Arch student at UPenn, but I will offer my two cents. From all the interactions I've had, I would say it would be hard to advance one's career without a Master's. Not only for the title itself, but for how much you can learn from going back to school. An online course (if one exists) cannot substitute the invaluable experience gained from studio and the dialogue that is created between you, your peers, and the instructors. I would let them know what you're trying to do and see how they respond. Firms have in the past paid for their employees' educations, though this practice seems to be diminishing in this economy. Also, once you open up the discussion, you will get a sens if how they are willing to handle the situation, or if they'll hire you back. There are one year programs out there as well, such as the Master in Environmental and Building Technology program we have here, though I'm not sure of what it takes to get admitted. Also, if you need to save more money, than perhaps work one more year while you figure out which programs are the best for you. Talk/visit schools, work on your portfolio, and other M. Arch students. These schools harbor a lot of great information and resources that'll guide your decision making process. There is also a chance that you'll get a free ride through school. There are also amazing internship opportunities that come from being a student again that may lead to a different job. Hope I'm not disgusting you with my optimism. Again, just my two cents.

Sep 7, 11 9:28 am  · 
 · 
xactly

Sorry for the typos! iPhones are freeing and limiting at the same time...

Sep 7, 11 9:31 am  · 
 · 
The Architect

Hmm, i do agree on the live-interaction point.. Nothing beats what anyone learns in class vs. reading a screen monitor (even if it was an iPad lol)..

However, it's the economic concerns that's keeping me a bit stuck on the idea, despite me not fully biased towards its pros, am a pessimist :P

Anyways, Thanks, you offered me some insight.. Really appreciate it :)

Sep 7, 11 9:42 am  · 
 · 
The Architect

Will the affordability of the program affect the quality? or are there any universities offering programs that cross the Quality Vs. Price balance without siding with one over the other?

I feel like am stuck between two potential life choices lol..

Sep 7, 11 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

THE BAC HAS 2 YEAR ONLINE M.ARCH BUT KINDA PRICEY, BUT YOU DO GO TO BOSTON FOR A WEEK EACH SEMESTER. AND IT SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD SCHOOL, ITS NOT HARVARD BUT IT IS A MASTERS AND YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO QUIT YOUR JOB, AND MAYBE WHERE YOU WORK WOULD PICK UP SOME OF THE TAB...

Sep 7, 11 10:45 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Why do you need a masters degree to learn the history of architecture?  I can't see how that is a good investment and certainly won't help your career (unless you want to teach).

I'd keep your job and just read a lot, look for online stuff, etc.  If you want to pay for school, go for something that will help your career (or make a distinction between working in the profession or being a teacher and approach it that way).

Sep 7, 11 11:24 am  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

If you don't like your job and you want your passion for history/theory to become your career, enter into a Ph.D program and prepare for the tough market of professorships. If you are just 'interested' in history and philosophy just study it for your own self enjoyment and keep your job if you are happy there. Doing this online will be unacceptable to any self-respecting university you might want to work for later...

Sep 7, 11 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Hello.  

I have done extensive research on the subject. I just enrolled at LTU, after much thinking and researching the 4 schools (LTU, BAC, SIU and AAU), and I chose this one because of the price. They are all accredited and they all have similar programs, but LTU was also closer to where I live, so the drive was only 6 hours, only four non consecutive weekends. In addition, I'd rather owe 25K than 75K when I'm done.

Check this forum I posted several weeks ago: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/98665928/online-march

Also, check my spreadsheet comparing prices and benefits: http://archinect.com/forum/gallery/98665928/0/online-march#

There are several people with negative comments, but don't pay attention to that. Focus on the  positive aspects; you can work, be with your family, and still do school work on your own time. I would do it again. Plus, you can finish all 5 semesters at LTU in 1.5 years, because they have 3 semesters per year, counting Summer.

Hope this helps you.

M Juliana L.

Jul 16, 14 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
KaylaF

It really depends what you want out of your master's degree.  Do you want to continue to pursue registration or are you looking to transition into a related field?  There are a number of part-time courses available that would let you continue to work while furthering your interests and qualifications.  The University of Cambridge has two part-time master's courses, and one is specifically in Building History.  (In addition, it's worth looking internationally as European fees are way less than US meaning even with airfare, your course could be much less than an US degree).  Best of luck!

Jul 21, 14 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: