Archinect
anchor

resin flooring

cyn

i saw a beautiful white resin floor at a friend's house that appeared more matte or low gloss than the typical highgloss epoxy floor-- and it had a bit of texture to it, almost like sand but much finer. kind of a soft texture, not like the no-slip gritty industrial stuff. any ideas what it might have been? possible sources? the friend said the installers were italian and it was an italian product that could be custom colored and was painted on in many layers, over a few days, and then took a day for the fumes to disappear. it was put on over existing tile. unfortunately he did not know anything else or who the installer was.

May 25, 05 6:07 pm
aparisianguy

My bet : pandomo and such ? (basically resin+silica)
http://www.pandomofloor.com/ for pics... (dutch site)
left unwaxed, without adding pigments, could be what you re describing...

May 25, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

could be dex-o-tex. they make many different types of chemical floors - resin, epoxy, etc. some are more matte, some glossy, harder, flexible, interior, exterior, etc. they have website with standard col;ors but it's not much more for custom. takes a few days to install and can be poured over existing floors.
there's also Ardex, which I think is atype of cement w/pigment that can go on over existing floors, but the cost is much higher than dex-o-tex

May 25, 05 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

pandomo = ardex

May 26, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 

sweet i do like resin floors - never had a chance to do one. Most silly clients can get their head around stuff that isn't tiled, wood, or carpet.

Jul 11, 05 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i got two resin floor projects, one interior, one exterior, both to be done very soon, one next week, one the week after. i promise i won't breathe too many fumes. hope they turn out.

Jul 11, 05 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
wildlobo71

Be sure your specification for the granulated epoxy/resin floors includes a consistent broadcast rate for the silica, quartz, or other type of granules. Many times the broadcasting of the product is nothing more than a worker with a handful of the silica flipping it around like birdseed on the ground. It can leave your desired look less than appealing if he is less than inspired or just doesn't know what he is doing. Talk to a distributor or the manufacturer about the acceptable broadcast rate and how to incorporate it into the spec.

Jul 11, 05 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

cool dod share the images Strawberry

maybe I trade you some funny island recipe for food or construction

Jul 12, 05 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

both are getting delayed. but food for photos is good.

Jul 12, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

wildlobo - thanks for the tips, one of the floors is trowel down, the other is broadcast though. I am the first to try to design with resin floors in my office, the older architects get in their comfort zones and don't leave them.

Jul 12, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
wildlobo71

I hear ya, Stawbeary. I wonder if it's a regional thing to use, as well, because here in Colorado I've specified, and seen, many projects with the product. Typically restrooms, shower rooms, kitchens, any place where a monolithic floor with an integral base are desired.

Good luck! I'd like to hear how the troweled down product finishes.

Jul 12, 05 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Just visited the troweled down floor. It's a botched job. No good. Inexperienced installers. The part I watched them put down turned out fine, the rest is full of trowel marks, pits, and unevenly mixed aggregate. It looks bad, really bad. :(

Aug 9, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
anti

any pics?

Aug 9, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'll try to post some pics, but don't know if the botched areas will show up. I think it is going to have to be redone or something else put over the top. I'm meeting the manufactuer's rep up there tomorrow first thing. We'll see what he has to say. I made the project arch. go out there even though he's on vacation - he's not usually the type to curse... but had plenty of nasty things to say about it.

Fingers crossed for the broadcast floor on separate project later this week yet, maybe even tomorrow.

I love architecture.

Aug 9, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
cyn

strawbeary which products did you use?
how do you fix a botched resin job? do you have to take the floor out?

Aug 10, 05 3:50 am  · 
 · 
Sags

Well I am witness to the botched resin floor. I have had a company recommended through my contractor to pour a floor in my new extension bathroom. the young lad had no idea of asthetics, design or client expectations despite being shown photos. He has just travelled 250 miles to re-do it for the 4th time and each time it has been a different kind of disaster. Lots of ugly blotches, divets and roller marks. I wanted an 'urban look' but most of the time it has looked like a filthy public convenience mopped with a worn out minging mop. I have no idea what to do now because I don't want him back again!

Sep 22, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: