Archinect
anchor

Is autocad difficult to learn?

pcavanaugh59

Hello, I have been given the task of entering employee names on an existing floor plan in auto cad. I have never used auto cad, but was given an auto cad cd with this task. Is there a simple way to edit the plan and input the employee names? thank you for any help you can give me.

Aug 27, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would use the mtext command.  it should have the shortcut 't.'  so just type t, hit space bar or enter, and enter the text for the name of the employee.

Aug 27, 13 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Revit is not great for studios in school though. It requires you to be overly detailed and often results in people dedicating themselves to bad ideas rather than reworking them.

If you're going to actually build something then it's great

ACad isn't really so bad for 3d either. it's super similar to rhino...

Aug 27, 13 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Stewie_2011

My preference would always be for Rhino, AutoCAD's user interface has always looked like its been designed by someone who's dyslexic, its terrible. Its awkward to move between the options you need, its overly fussy with long winded processes to do straight forward tasks and its ability to allow you to draw your design with ease is poor. If that isn't enough it also takes up a huge amount of hard drive space meaning loading up your machine and loading up AutoCAD at the start is slooowwww. Just think of the lost productivity due to you having to wait ages for it all to boot up. Would love to see more practices move away from it because unfortunately all too many practices still do. Personally I don't bother applying to practices that use it, its would make your working day an unbearable pain in the arse, all these odd problems popping up all the time and bizarre way of working, nah.

Rhino is great in 2D and 3D and you can quickly turn 2D lines into 3D. Like any program it will take a while to learn (weeks to months) but once you have it beats AutoCAD all the way. Revit is one many employers are going with now but its more about knocking bog standard stuff out quick for profitability sake than a focus on design, its somewhat unrefined in the quality of the work it produces I think.  

Aug 27, 13 6:05 pm  · 
1  · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Even Monkeys learn Auto-CAD...tongue in cheek!  CAD_MONKEY....

Aug 27, 13 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Revit is not great for studios in school though. It requires you to be overly detailed and often results in people dedicating themselves to bad ideas rather than reworking them.

Interesting thought.  Yes.  Just scrap it and start over, or push and pull.

Is AutoCAD difficult to learn?  No.  It's actually fun.  You can pick it up at a c.c. at night for good tuition rates, or a tech. c.c. that has the same tuition rates if in the same system.

CAD monkeys?  Argh.  I'm the resident right-winger here, and I'm not crazy about that term.  I could do a stretch to CAD jockey, but some of them do good work, and I usually call them technicians, draftsmen or draftswomen, or paraprofessionals.  The ones who are kind of nerdy and quiet are usually the better ones, and the ones who are stoners, or sound like them, and lament that they are not architects are usually the least competent ... all kinds of stories to back up that assertion.

Aug 27, 13 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
umashnkarbetha

If you want to learn Autocad then login into http://www.howtolearnautocad.com and learn on your own time. Free course with free material and for practice free exercise material.

Oct 30, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 
umashnkarbetha

If you want to learn Autocad then login into http://www.howtolearnautocad.com and learn on your own time. Free course with free material and for practice free exercise material.

Oct 30, 16 12:39 am  · 
 · 
^I found Balkins.
Oct 30, 16 9:23 am  · 
 · 

shit

Oct 30, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
mrstsang

For me, quite difficult!

Specially 3D!

Maybe I am not good at mathrmatics.

Oct 31, 16 8:44 am  · 
 · 
indera

hi there, sorry for interrupt.I'm lecturer for Industrial Design currently do a research about this matter,is it autocad difficult to use? For my opinion, its easy to use if we practice.In 2 or 3 days, we can draw plan and any 2D drawing. The important thing, fundamental of basic conventional engineering drawing must learn first before you go to this software.

anyway I'm facing problem, students always not doing well in their 2d drawing especially for their project.  I just assume only,currently still investigate.

Problem that I assume:

1. Nowday  student currently prefer use Solidwork which can convert to 3d to 3d. But for me, solidwork 2d not really depth and detail such like autocad. In autocad 2d, we can add any features and the line quality better than solidwork when we print it. Print also problem. They print at printing shop and we know that not all printing shop have solidworks. So they convert dwg to pdf and the print quality is gone. Autocad easy to get at any printing shop.

2.  Suspect students forgot how to use because they focus current software.

3. They don't have the software in their laptop.

4. They forgot how to use autocad

5. Students feel boring the Autocad interface

6.Students will having problem in model making process which their drawing not complete.

It looks I'm bias. But what I'm trying to do is autocad 2d still important.  1 more thing most company using autocad, because it safe,affordable price, and fast.

I hope anybody in this forum give some info and opinion about this matter.

Dec 12, 16 7:14 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

- So mandate the use of AutoCAD whether they like it or not, make it part of the curriculum if you need to? Canvassing for ideas on a public forum isn't really becoming for an academic.

- Refer to 1st point

- Argue for funds to purchase the license, you're the lecturer dude.

- Isn't this the same as point 2?

- Again, you're the one delivering the content. Make it interesting, set a hurdle/benchmark to achieve in order to pass the course.

- Refer above. They'll want to pass the course/subject, do they not?

Dec 12, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Excel is to accounting as autocad is to architecture... its a must whether or not you are a revit user or not...

Dec 12, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
indera

archietechie

Thank you for your respond. Really appreciate. For your info, Autocad is the part of subject the courses. Few problem that I need to investigate.The  Software is not the problem. The main problem that I still investigate and evaluate the students learning process and their behaviour.All students easily pass this subject. But when going to other module example,furniture design modules, they not doing well in technical drawing.Then they always facing problem to do the prototype.Is it because design students not really technical thinking or time management,I'm not sure about it. Autocad easy to draft and take few minutes to draw. 

Dec 13, 16 6:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Sounds to me like you need to fail a bunch of students to get the point across.
Dec 13, 16 7:37 am  · 
 · 
indera

Non Sequitur

I think there is misunderstanding. My objective is to improve their skill and hope in future they will do better when they graduate.In Autocad class it self, they good.But when going independent project, they failed to produce good quality drawing. Maybe students don't have any guidance or not creative or behaviour problem that need to  in depth research. But apps tutorial free download already exist plus you tube video.So no issue if they forgot how to use the software.

Dec 13, 16 9:16 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

@Indera

I see where you're going with this. I apologize for being harsh earlier.

If what you say is true, the fault doesn't lie with the AutoCAD course itself since they DO know how to work with the program. Instead the students don't seem to have a good grasp of technical drawings, sections in particular (Plans are essentially sections).

I assume they're able to create 3D models at the very least for their furniture/products? If so, 3d modelling packages are able to create section cuts for ease of understanding. Does this help?

Dec 13, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
indera

archietechie

Thank you for your comment. Actually students use solidworks or sketchup  for 3d. Solidwork can convert 3d to 2d. But I still get same result which some line missing, no line weight, measurement incorrect, missing the hidden line and etc.  Autocad is good for 2d. I ask my students apply both. But they prefer Solidwork. But Solidwork 2d for me not really  fine  especially for orthographic drawing unless when you start with proper measurement, join and extrude. And also draw separately parts by part include screw. Then assembly. But what I can see they just draw without think the technical. The part that they like to do is product rendering.

Dec 14, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ So the issue boils down to lack of technical envisaging abilities, I fail to see how you, as a CAD instructor no less, are responsible.

Perhaps you could speak to your fellow academics in charge of their foundation years and work something out. Learning how to work with a CAD software is just that. The software can't teach them how to think.

Dec 14, 16 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto

have them try to do projects based on someone else's outsourced drafting that doesn't know how to use snap points

that'll fix em

Dec 14, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Anchovyq

For me it was awful

Dec 15, 16 3:05 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Back in 95' it probally was, now its really user friendly

Apr 25, 17 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
jeronimoj.strapasson

If you want to learn some commands in Autocad, please take a look at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/channe...

He has new videos every day.

Nov 6, 17 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
annaconstantinidou

Hi guys, I am new to this blog and to architecture in general, but I would very much like to learn a software in order to be able to design indoor and outdoor exhibitions, considering that the design are more fairytalish rather than realistic (dinosaur environment, xmas factories, ice age animals etc, the house of Shrek etc. etc). I am an exhibitions organizer so this would be very helpful for my job.

thank you,

Anna

Nov 9, 17 5:41 am  · 
 · 
annaconstantinidou

So i forgot to ask the question, what software better suits my requirements?

Nov 9, 17 5:47 am  · 
 · 
annaconstantinidou

Thanks David

Cheers

Nov 9, 17 6:20 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

AutoCAD is the stupidest software ever. All you need to know is 3 commands. That’s it.

Line

Extend 

Trim 

Nov 12, 17 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Revit is where it’s at!

Nov 12, 17 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
michaelisaacman

AutoCAD is absolute trash. I find it outrageous that so many industries are reliant on it, and quite frankly held hostage by it. It is slow, uncooperative, unintuitive, and inconsistent. Nearly impossible to learn without formal training

Nov 19, 19 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

FYI you're posting on threads that are years old.

Nov 19, 19 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Autocad hard to learn? Seriously? Also, necro post.

Nov 19, 19 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: