Archinect
anchor

Anyone else find this funny?

dia

http://www.ehow.com/how_4453547_start-architecture-firm.html

Love this:

"Rent out some office space. If it's just you, then you only need enough room for your desk and some chairs for clients to sit in. Of course, you'll want room for any paperwork and plans you need to store. Put pictures on the walls of your previous architecture projects, or of architectural works that you admire..."

Aug 17, 11 10:40 pm
dia

And this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4454614_promote-architecture-firm.html

This is gold:

"..."Take out ads in local periodicals. Full color magazine ads are nice looking and may get you some clients. See if you can do a trial run for three months to determine if these ads get you any business..."

Aug 17, 11 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

This was the line that made me head-slap: You'll need special paper for "printing out" your blueprints.

Good lord.

Aug 17, 11 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Also the second sentence is completely wrong, it should say "The potential for failure is enormous, and the earning potential laughable!"

Aug 17, 11 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not sure if you all know this...

... but these webites like wisegeek, ehow, associated content and even Yahoo Answers pay people to write content for them. That content actually has to be somewhat verifiable and accurate. They write this content because the more content they have and the more links they put in increases their Google/Bing/Yahoo page ranking. That means a higher SEM (search engine marketing) value and more clicks per page, long page browsing times and more referrals.

I did this briefly. And most of this information is mildly trustworthy. Whoever the copywriter was probably just downloaded a very out-of-date pro-practice book and is giving you the cliff notes version of it.

Aug 17, 11 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia

JJR,

Of course. But the fact that someone thought 'yeah, this is accurate enough' speaks volumes...

Aug 17, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

The one about renting out some office space doesn't seem entirely wrong. Especially in this economy.

Aug 18, 11 12:03 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Wait, wait... are you guys trying to tell me that not everything on the interweb is true?

Aug 18, 11 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I clicked on an article that was linked from that one that said the median starting salary for an architect with a bach degree was $78k in May 2010. If only.

Aug 18, 11 7:46 am  · 
 · 

Difficulty: Moderately Easy 

Aug 18, 11 9:39 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Alas, those are the exact step by step directions i followed to start my internationally renowned practice, lletdownl & associates.  I spoke of them only to my closest business partners, and did so in the strictest of confidence.  Now that my methods have been revealed, i fear our practice has not long to live...

Aug 18, 11 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Ryan002

It *was* around 78k back in 2010. I suspect it still is, downturn or not.

Don't bluff. You architects are practically rolling in dough for gawd's sake. That "sitting with an iPad at Starbucks" lifestyle of yours isn't cheap pal. 

Aug 19, 11 3:19 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

lletdown & associates? I think I used to work there... what a lletdown.

Aug 19, 11 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: