Archinect
anchor

Das Kapital 2: Electric Boogaloo

Rusty!

WTF is this shit? 

Now that an average architect is holding on to dear life just to stay part of the middle class (which itself has been classified as redundant), what is our new mission statement? Did we have one during the 20th century?

During the Roman Empire, most architects were slaves. It was the highest standing you could achieve as a slave. Slave designation ensured obedience, while still allowing for some degree of architectural expression/professional growth. If you didn't like it, there was always somebody else in line behind you.

We've had recessions that depleted our profession before, but this one feels a lot more substantial. It's like we've been downgraded to AA plus-minus rating ourselves. Forever.

Do we ever go back to normal? Was there ever such thing as normal? Or was affluent middle class just an awkward transition back to more natural state of things? In the history of human civilization middle-class exists for the whopping 1/60th of it.

So what's up with that rendering above? Architect's have a superhuman ability to lie to themselves as circumstances demand. We are failed traveling encyclopedia salesmen who have transitioned to corner loonies handing out pamphlets and yelling out "Jesus Saves!!".

By the way, I should mention I am a highschool student interested in becoming an architect.

Thank you for reading!

Aug 9, 11 11:35 am

Looks like a palace for an oligarch. Huge, expensive, tasteless and complete with the flying bridge off an aircraft carrier.

Are you sure you're in high school?

Aug 9, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

that 'shit' is ellsworth toohey at work (hor-yay fountainhead !!)

Aug 9, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
junior

Definitely a Howard Roark masterpiece, only to be ignorantly thrashed by the intolerant-to-change architectural proletariat. 

Aug 9, 11 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

it's just the opposite, j.j.

Aug 9, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
metal

It is a monument to our expiring architecture.

middle men are so complacent.
we need a speech like this to awaken the deteriorating middle class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqi8m4CEEY

Aug 9, 11 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Maybe the architectural face of the new world order will be parametricism.

Aug 9, 11 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

The building proposed by that rendering is indeed a piece of crap.  It's laughably, painfully bad.  (What's the source, rusty?  What enemy have I just made online?)

fade to blackoe, I'm reading a book - a novel, it's fiction - right now called Makers by Cory Doctorow, which seems to be saying parametricism is helping hasten our decline, by making anyone able to produce anything, therefore all production being a race to the bottom.  It's kinda terrifying - I like to think I design good quality, but in the world where people don't even know what quality is, how can I sell it?  

I should have trained as a dominatrix when I still had the chance/pre-internet.

Aug 9, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Donna thanks for that reference, will definitely look into it

Aug 9, 11 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Donna, the architect in question is relatively small. Only 40 global offices. pfft. I bet they still use acad12. In dos.

Aug 9, 11 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Oh that's all?  No biggie.

Aug 9, 11 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

So.

Dominatrix in Aspen?

Kinky... if out of my price range.

Aug 9, 11 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Sadly out of mine, too.

Oh well, it's cocktail hour!

Aug 9, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
David Hernández

I think parametricism in computational design it's just another tool. And few designers can understand it and less use it. Hand made, carving stone, shooting carbon lines, or doing CAD/CAM, Arduino programming, genetic/generative design & laser cut; It's designer responsability to define projects through consciousness and a full social biophysical environment mapping.  Projects behavior is our responsability as society. Main feature that designers and architects use to avoid trying to compose ego and capital instead community  and resources development.

Some studies to clear doubts.

http://boingboing.net/2011/07/26/how-algorithms-shape-our-world-fascinating-ted-talk-by-kevin-slavin.html

Aug 9, 11 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Architectural Quackery At Its Finest: Parametricism

Aug 11, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

Dear Rusty-high school student,

Yes, this is a very oppressive economy,  it like architecture goes in phases. The oppulent elite age in architecture has to end some time, like it has before. Don't let any of this discourage you from continuing with your dream. If you want to become an architect, or have a desire to go to architecture school, then do it anyway. It's like many people say, if you go to school for music or get a degree in english, then you are not going ti make any money. It all depends on what you do with your degree. in reference to your comment about Rome, yes look at that city. During the dark ages nothing progressed for almost a thousand years, until the Renaissance came into being and look at that phase of architecture and culture. Our recession is a few years compared to that, things will get better.

Aug 11, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
design

Miles that article seems very pro-classical-nostaligia and like its been living under a rock. Classical columns can be made into a piece of computer code, thats a fact.

From my experience the "classical is better than contemporary" debate is quite a bore.
things change, it doesnt have to be parametric, but we must move on...

Aug 11, 11 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: