Archinect
anchor

Bartlett M.Arch (Architectural design) Admission

morgan2sims

Hi all,

I'm gonna try my hands at applying for M.Arch again this year. Among others, I'm planning to apply to Bartlett. Now I don't know if it's just me, I can't seem to find a complete list of admission requirement from the website.. Does bartlett not require a submission of portfolio? Where in the website states portfolio as a requirement for M.Arch (Arch design for non UK Bachelor's degree)? Any help at this point will be very very very much appreciated! Good luck to us 2012 applicants!

Aug 7, 11 7:16 am
Paulie

I think its somewhere in the UCL website and not the Bartlett website

-portfolio
-2 letters of rec
-transcripts
-the UCL admissions form which includes an essay

actually look over the form, maybe its in their

Aug 7, 11 7:51 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

hi de flaneur,

thanks for replying! actually i've checked the admission form, it said portfolio only for fine arts applicants..

are you applying as well this year? 

Aug 7, 11 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

Hi morgan2sims,

Have you found out something about the portfolio submission? I wrote an email, they answered that they will write requirements for portfolio and how to submit it right after my  application. If you applied already do you know the requirements for size, contents and number of pages?

Jan 13, 12 6:37 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

hi molly, regarding size, contents etc i'm going with the standard, meaning same as what i've prepared for other schools. i have not sent in my portfolio or application yet, though, as they seem to have somewhat of a rolling admission.

if i may ask, which course are you applying for? is anyone as confused as i am about the m.arch AD (architectural design) whereabouts? has it been absorbed into the new course, GAD?

Feb 13, 12 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

I've already sent my portfolio , it should arrive by the end of this week. I'm applying for MSc AAC and MArch GAD and yes GAD it's the same m.arch AD, they just changed the name

Right after I submitted my app they emailed requirements, for GAD  it has to be 12-30  A3 or A4 if I'm not mistaken for AAC it was 10-20 A4 .

Feb 13, 12 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

@Molly: Do you know how soon you're gonna hear from them? I'm leaning towards UD and GAD, but GAD scares me as it seems to be highly speculative and scripting heavy. What's your take on the GAD? What draws you into it? And I've gotta check out AAC. Are you applying elsewhere? I'm applying to 6-7 schools (i knw, crazy)

Feb 13, 12 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

from 4-12 weeks as they said. I've applied to these 2 programs and to MIT so far, and will probably apply to ETH Zurich. I'm mostly interested in kinetic architecture. processing, fabrication classes are cool, but anyway I couldn't find as much information as for MIT MArch program, although it is famous one. They say there were approximately 500 applicants for GAD and 100 applicants for AAC last year. 

Feb 14, 12 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
design

Bartlett has been on the verge of wackness. Get ready, you are going to do films about robots fighting each other over metal cans.  They've been singing too much of the same old songs.

Feb 14, 12 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

Guera, that's what i was afraid of. Do you know this by first hand experience? Can you tell me more, if you don't mind?

Feb 15, 12 1:07 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Have been offered a place at Oxford Brookes MArch Advanceed Arhitectural design (dir David Greene) and at Westminster MA Architecture Cultural Identity and Globalisation. Waiting for answer at AA & Columbia, waiting for a reference at the Bartlett.

Would you wait for the others or go for Oxford or Westminster? Which of them?

Cheers and good luck with your applications.

Feb 16, 12 7:10 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

do you need to pay an advance so they'll hold your spot while you wait from columbia & aa? if you can afford losing your advance, i would say why not? but you definitely need to think about this

Feb 16, 12 8:14 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

think about this as in whether you think aa & columbia worth the wait for you. trust your heart, which school do you really wanna go to. 

Feb 16, 12 8:16 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

I'm a EU student so no need of deposit and the fees are pretty low compared to AA and Columbia... So I can actually accept those offers whilst I wait for AA and Columbia success (which are not as likely to be successful ;)

Oxford appears quite high in most rankings for architecture but westminster is in London. I literally don't know which one to choose but it looks like it will be one of these two.

Feb 17, 12 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

As for me Columbia is better than others. I would definitely wait. 

Feb 18, 12 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
ciao

go to the AA, it never fails.

but oxford-brookes is going in interesting directions, and it does not have a dystopic take on everything like the Bartlett does.

Feb 19, 12 9:04 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

pretty difficult not to have a dystopian view of anything these days ;)

Feb 19, 12 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

anyone has had an answer from bartlett already?

Mar 4, 12 10:03 am  · 
 · 
extremee

Got in MArch Architecture (RIBA Part.2) with an informal letter and rejected from GSD MArch II

Still waiting the result of YSOA, Cooper Union to make decision...

Mar 4, 12 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

when did u complete ur application? did they asked u to submit a portfolio? Haven't been asked so yet, but only completed my application 10 days ago

Mar 5, 12 7:20 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

i just sent my portfolio anyway the day after i submitted my app online. hopefully it'll speed up things a bit

Mar 5, 12 11:39 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

do they ask for hardcopy or digital portfolios?

Mar 6, 12 8:29 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

hardcopy, i read it somewhere in their website.

why don't you just go ahead & send it by post?

Mar 7, 12 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

I asked them right after my app. I suggest you to write them too

Mar 8, 12 2:57 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

I asked them by email and they answered straight away asking me for a paper copy sent by post. I'll go to the post office ASAP ;)

have you got your answers already? are u applying from the UK or are u internationals?

good luck everyone!

Mar 8, 12 3:13 am  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

I'm international and have no answers yet:(

Mar 8, 12 8:34 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

okay, so I must be patient if sending my polio tray :(

I'm from within the EU so neither international neither UK

Mar 8, 12 9:06 am  · 
 · 
junihaoni

im international and also waiting, sent my portfolio and online aplication in late january. just got an email from bartlett saying portfolio dateline extended to april 2012. will there be any interviews?

Mar 9, 12 2:10 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

don't know about the bartlett, but have been offered a place in other 3 UK schools and they did not ask for an interview.

Mar 9, 12 2:56 am  · 
 · 
junihaoni

dan, are u an international applicant too? may i know the schools that you applied in the uk?

Mar 9, 12 3:02 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

I'm from Spain, so I'm an EU student. Not exactly an international student because I would pay UK fees instead of higher International fees.

I have applied for Columbia MSc AAD (the only programme in the USA not asking for GRE examinations :S), not heard yet; Oxford Brookes (unconditional offer) Westminster (conditional offer) and AA (accepted, don0t know yet if my offer is conditional or not) and Bartlett of course.

Just completed the Bartlett application 2 weeks ago (completed the others just after christmas) because one of my referees was not available before.

Mar 9, 12 4:59 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

by the way, anyone knows how many students do they let in per year and how many applicants they have?

Mar 9, 12 5:00 am  · 
 · 
Ani Arzumanyan

GAD has around 20 students now and had 500 applicants last year:)

Mar 9, 12 5:27 am  · 
 · 

dan.o.c. as you are from Spain, what do you think about IAAC 's master of advanced architecture program?it is my second choice, in case I won't get a place in bartlett

Mar 9, 12 5:33 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

WOW! that is 25 applicants per place! good luck everyone!!

Ani Arzumanyan, I don't know much about the actual day to day life at the IAAC as I studied in Madrid. However the little I know is that they have some very good teachers and they, as institution, are quite active, organising a lot of things. They have built up a good reputation in Spain as they were the first similar institution in the country. No one had offered a master of architecture taught in english in Spain before and it took years for institutions in Madrid to start offering such thing.

The thing is it is most students are international as the fees are 10x that of a Master in a public university in Spain + the living expenses in Barcelona, which are high unless compared to Madrid.

What they have to offer for international student is also the chance to live in Barcelona for a whole year. Their premises are pretty central.

Mar 9, 12 6:20 am  · 
 · 

:) thanks and good luck to all of us

Mar 9, 12 7:16 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

got a questionn for u guys:

how long ago have u graduated?

because I don't know the student profile they look for. I'm a sixth year student and will graduate just before starting my Master but I understand some people take some time before masters and PhDs...

Mar 10, 12 7:13 am  · 
 · 
sarci-tect

Isn't the Bartlett accepting applications until August 12th??

Mar 10, 12 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

The whole UCL has an august  deadline. However they advise to apply as early as possible as the admissions panel of each individual program might fill all the available places before that date,

I was personally told to submit my portfolio before april 20, but I don't know if that only applies for me or is a general deadline for all applicants.

Mar 10, 12 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Has anyone had any feedback/decission from UCL people?

Mar 14, 12 3:52 am  · 
 · 
kenji.hf

Hi, does anyone know if the Bartlett accepts people with non-architectural degrees for a M.Arch ?

Mar 14, 12 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

According to UCL site architecture is the preferred degree for admission at MArch GAD, but they do not exclude other degrees.

When it comes to the MArch Diploma (part 2) I'm not so sure you can get in with a non-architecture degree, as this MArch leads to a professional qualification.

Mar 15, 12 5:14 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

I quote UCL admissions in MArch diploma

"The normal minimum qualifications are a second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.

A second acceptable qualification is corporate membership of one of the following UK professional institutions: the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE); the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB); the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE); the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA); the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS); and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).

A third acceptable qualification is an Architecture or Architecture-related degree from a recognised overseas university with 2:2 equivalency. Details of qualification equivalencies are available on the country pages of the UCL International Students website"

Mar 20, 12 5:08 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Anyone had any answer from UCL Bartlett?

I haven't heard of them yet... :(

Mar 26, 12 10:18 am  · 
 · 
casafelice

hope this helps:

I completed my online application in late november/early december. Have been asked to submit a portfolio in late december. Got an interview in the end of Febr.

And got rejected

Same end for the AA a few days after interview

Mar 29, 12 6:11 am  · 
 · 
casafelice

(the first part is reffered to the MArch at the bartlett)

Mar 29, 12 6:12 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

got an email saying the course director recommended my admission and they COllege admissions office had to check my qualifications and then send me a formal letter... dunno if this is an admission or not... :S

Mar 29, 12 8:03 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

no one got in lately?

Apr 2, 12 6:54 am  · 
 · 
junihaoni

got an interview in july. overseas applicant. wondering whtr interview done via skype? did u go for an interview dan?

Apr 2, 12 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
junihaoni

got an interview in july. overseas applicant. wondering whtr interview done via skype? did u go for an interview dan?

Apr 2, 12 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

no I didn't, they just asked me for a portfolio. are u heading to undergraduate or postgraduate?

Apr 3, 12 3:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: