Archinect
anchor

what is your favorite material?

JeffS

Marble

Mar 21, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

nice material Joe, reminds me of the good ol' days. (that means pre 80's)

now that's a nice coated copper shank

Mar 21, 05 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

Zepplin; The rest of the vestibular space in the Mat Life building real turns me off;

Paper?

Mar 21, 05 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
swamprat

plastic

Mar 21, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
c

does anyone know of smaller firms that work with people deveolping materiels, or who develop it themselves?
high fliers like koolhaas or H+dM are able to break out with new supercool materiels in their projects, is this bc they've got their own R&D people, or bc the fabricators are going to cut them a deal? Or just that they can afford it ? it often seems that the use of inventive materials happens either with Olympic projects or something like the Rural Studio...

these are just impressions of mine, I've never built anything, and really can;t say that I know much about the industry- those of you who have had some experience in this, anything to say?

Mar 21, 05 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

there is a whole field of materials developmet, it more chem type stuff than architetural, however, in terms of innovative materials, they are designing thigs that are totally new

Mar 21, 05 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

light

Dec 19, 16 7:31 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

How about least favorite material; glass block uuugh!!!

Dec 19, 16 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Plants

Dec 19, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Soil mixed with Portland cement and psyllium 

Dec 19, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Women

Dec 20, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
mtdew

Structural steel. I beams, tubes, channels, bars, T in combination with concrete or wood. 

Dec 20, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Cor-ten steel. Thanks for putting it on the post office and making me fall in love with it Kevin Roche.

· 
mtdew

I wish they made it easier to post pictures here...

· 
Wilma Buttfit

crystal

Dec 20, 16 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

beaver fat and pastry string

Dec 20, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Woven wire mesh

Dec 20, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: