Archinect
anchor

One of the best Chicagos Architects passed away!

poop876

RIP Douglas Garofalo!

If you have any memories of him, please leave it below. He will be truly missed!

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5566

Aug 2, 11 10:09 pm

Oh, how sad.  He was quite young, too.  

Aug 2, 11 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

He was very young. Such a great person he was too! I'm just speechless!

Aug 2, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

OH NO!  This was NOT the name I was expecting when I clicked on this!  

very very sad.  

Aug 3, 11 12:20 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I mean, not that I expected anyone in particular.  Just that I am shocked and saddened.

Aug 3, 11 12:21 am  · 
 · 
guppy

He was my teacher.  In that rare sense that I can say about very few individuals whose influence persists, grows and deepens over time - over years.  I'm still learning from Doug, and am now feeling even more grateful for having had the opportunity to study with him through several studios, seminars, informal discussions.  He was a deeply gifted and generous human being.  A great loss.

Aug 3, 11 12:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so sad to hear.

Aug 3, 11 1:41 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

how?

Aug 3, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I am very very sorry to hear. Heart broken.  Met him twice in chicago. The most recent one was three years ago in U. of Chicago, he and his associate was paying their parking in one of the university's parking structure.

Aug 3, 11 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Doug was a dear friend and I cherished the time I had with him winning two projects and the further privilege to Teach with Doug at UIC. Chris and Doug were one, both practices informing the others. 

Doug was the only practitioner in Chicago with a strong ethos and when archinect post group him with other 'young guns' in Chicago they were wrong - Doug was miles above them all - His work was grounded with ethical principal that no other firm, NO FIRM IN CHICAGO begins to engage no matter what marketing they put forth. He lived that life in the fullest.

I just arrived back in Chicago yesterday to work at the University of Chicago for a month - one of Doug's favorite projects, the Art Museum is located here.

It is truly a sad day for design world wide.

I will miss you Doug - Love and Kisses - keep an eye on us all.

Aug 3, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

RIP... sad.

Aug 3, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: