Archinect
anchor

Random ashlar pattern

radham

I am planning a swimming pool deck project with a true random ashlar pattern in cut stone.  I can use 12x12, 12x18, 12x24, 18x18, 18x24, 18x36, 24x24, 24x36, 36x36 inch stone, or any combination of the above.  I would prefer to use only 4 or 5 of the above sizes.   How does one calculate the correct quantity ratio of stone sizes necessary to generate a true and aesthetically pleasing random ashlar pattern?   I tried a program called Layout Planner, but it did not generate a true random ashlar pattern.   As a person with a physics background, it kills me that I cannon find any information on the quantity ratios for stone sizes in a random ashlar pattern.  There must be a mathematically correct solution to my problem.  Please help.

Jul 30, 11 4:15 pm

This is the art of the eye. Study the pattern. It isn't really random rubble. There is principles to it. If you like I would recommend you study this picture:

http://photonet0.hotpads.com/search/listingPhoto/PostletsForSale/RE3944863/0000_1629633911_medium.jpg

Not as high of resolution that I would like but it might be helpful to study the pattern a little.

I may have to shoot the photo myself and get a better picture but there are plenty of examples to understand and study the principles of doing such.

Jul 30, 11 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: