Archinect
anchor

The drones are watching you....

joeuk

OK, well maybe they aren't but I just wanted to see if and how all you architects possibly used them or think about them.

I recently read an article saying how they are completely changing the landscape of architecture both in terms of how they are used for surveying etc, but also how new buildings are being designed with drones in mind, meaning they need places to land or that in time, arriving at a building via the 13th floor isn't beyond the realms of possibility. 

Thoughts?

Cue sarcastic comment from our boy in the Bay area.

Aug 16, 17 5:48 am
randomised

Would be nice to include a link to said article. Also don't think many people would like to arrive via the 13th floor, they prefer either the 12th or the 14th because people are weird.

Aug 16, 17 6:07 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

It would be nice, apologies. Original article

I was also reading this one that states how they will completely change the landscape we live in.

Article

Aug 16, 17 6:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

can a drone do revit?

Aug 16, 17 7:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Clones do revit, not drones.

Aug 16, 17 11:31 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

One day they will.... one day.....

Aug 16, 17 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I've heard that drones are a good alternative if you need to measure block heights when converting laudramats into death trap theatres in Oregon.
Aug 16, 17 7:35 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Ive used drone and work with many clients/contractors that do. Some larger construct firms are using them to monitor progression and for health & safety issues.

I've used them to survey rooftops and large areas via photogrammetry.

Aug 16, 17 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

As an aside, there used to be heliports on the top of tall buildings like the old Pan Am building. Some halfway bright people sat down and figured out what could happen with a helicopter in high winds, fog, rain, or one that had a mechanical problem just before or after touchdown, namely you would have a very large machine full of people going over the side umpteen stories down with the glide angle of a large rock.  

Aug 16, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I've have one, but mostly use it to bother my wife.  

Aug 16, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry in advance, but made me think of this:

Aug 17, 17 4:27 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol. That was great.

Aug 17, 17 10:09 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

my favorite is to fly it in front of the tv while she's watching the kardashians. 

Aug 16, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

An attempt at humour on here that was actually funny. Well played!

Aug 17, 17 3:36 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

The owner of a small firm I worked for during my first internship bought a big drone (probably 30"x30") for site inspection.  He was so excited about it that he flew it around the office for a half hour while everyone was trying to work.  When he tried to fly it upstairs to show folks on the 2nd floor, the angle change caused the drone to rotate and crash down the staircase.  Other than that I don't think he used it once while I was there.

A research group at my college used infrared cameras strapped to drones to locate delaminations in reinforced concrete slabs.

Aug 16, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: