Archinect
anchor

Office Architecture/Office Layout

GermanStudentSaar

Hello everybody,

my name is Sabine and I’m studying Economics and Law at Saarland University, Germany. One part of my studies deals with Human Resource Management and especially how to organize working places. Therefore I actually visit a seminary which is named: “Quo vadis? Office architecture as an analogue-digital disruption between San Francisco and Seoul”. The main idea is that working environments have changed over time. In Germany for example, years ago, there was an advance towards home offices or small offices, so every office employee had its own working area. Nowadays it is changed and things like desk sharing and bullpens are trendy. My part of the study is to collect information about working places in New York City and how they have changed. I have to find out how offices in New York City look like and how office architecture is connected with the city architecture. Also I’m interested in future working places and innovative ideas how to create a working environment that is efficient and allows employees to be effective at the same time. Furthermore I’m looking for best-practice and innovative concepts how to use office space. My problem is that I don’t know where I can get some information about this topic. Perhaps you can help me and tell me some scientific papers or journals where I can find articles about office architecture in New York City or someone is content to answer me some questions. Unfortunately I’m not even sure if “office architecture” is the right keyword in that context. It would be great if you can help me to find the right english expression.

Thanks a lot and best wishes from Germany,

Sabine

Aug 14, 17 10:45 am
Volunteer

I think you could study the new Apple headquarters on how not to do it, but then that would be unkind.

Aug 14, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
GermanStudentSaar

Thank you. I have to find out how offices look like in NYC, so I also need negative examples to deduce what other companies can improve in the future.

Aug 15, 17 5:25 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Try using key terms like 'office layout' 'open office' 'workplace design' 'workplace strategy' pair these with 'New York City' 'trends' 'variation' 'evolution' 'change' 'study' 'survey' also 'startup' for some specifics on how they (usually tech companies) do things as they often have the most money to test things out. 'Office architecture' is rather broad. In NYC specifically it's more interiors focused so you may not come up with much using that term.
Aug 14, 17 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
GermanStudentSaar

Thank you so much. That will hopefully help me to find the information I need.

Aug 15, 17 5:31 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

A lot of the layouts are driven by furniture system manufacturers. Look up Steelcase or Dirtt. They have lots of creative resources explaining what the industry is up to these days. 

Not sure why you want to focus in on NYC, outside of romantic notions, but NYC is a not the best example of good office layouts. Cost per square foot is off the charts and thus necessitates very compact layouts that border on overcrowding. 

Aug 14, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

But when it is very compact and almost overcrowded, that's when you need to get creative and come up with something good, it's the limitations and constraints that make it interesting imo.

Aug 15, 17 3:44 am  · 
 · 
GermanStudentSaar

Thank you Rusty! I have to focus in on NYC because for our studies we collect information about 12 cities around the world and I'm responsible for NYC. And I agree with randomised. You have to find new solutions if the space is limited and costs per square are high. And that's what we are looking for.

Aug 15, 17 5:41 am  · 
 · 
GermanStudentSaar

I've never been in NYC. Are there some specific architectural characteristics but the skyscrapers? 

Aug 15, 17 5:48 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

NYC workplaces (and housing, and restaurants, and every other place) are all about cramming as many people into as little space as possible without getting the DOB or FDNY on your ass.

A lot of top firms looking at work place strategies (Gensler, P+W, etc.) have white papers published on their websites that you can access for free.  And as someone else above mentioned, systems furniture manufacturers do a lot of research into this as well (Steelcase, Herman Miller, etc.)  All the information you need should be fairly easy to find.

Aug 19, 17 9:20 am  · 
 · 
GermanStudentSaar

​Thank you very much Medusa. That's actually very helpful. I'm going to look for information there.

Aug 21, 17 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: