Archinect
anchor

IPAL School

Panarchi

hello , I am currently in an Associate degree (pre engineering) Program in GA and have semester left and would be able to transfer to a College whit an Architecture Degree. I am confused as which route to take .

1) Ipal School bachelor degree as the prospect of maybe Graduating whit my license is very appealing (bachelor degree or Master).

2) my final goal is to have a Design/Build company (building and home) and I am my understanding was A degree in civil Engineering ( I am more interest into building so not sure if Architectural Engineering would be a Better Option) at a bachelor level follow by a Master in Architecture would be a Better route. I also saw that University of Miami had a AE plus a one Year Architectural graduate that qualify you for both licensing Enginering and Architecture but then after that I need to work fees more years before getting a license.

3)which of the IPAL would you recommend by rankings or order of preference so far I was thinking Woodbury , the New School and BAC.

4)I saw that Drexel University has a Night program and it's listed as an IPAL program but I am not sure if Master or Bachelor in which case I could still take my regular engineering classes during the day.

For my goals in life i would like to be able to study both field ( PS the country for wish I plan of working do not require engineer to pass an examen to be call so) but getting my Architural License is something I would like to achieve.

Jul 24, 17 6:45 pm
Panarchi

anyone please?

Jul 24, 17 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Hello,

I just recently was looking into Drexel University program and yes they do have a night program but you have to be employed in Architecture if I'm not mistaken, so the going to school in the morning may not work out very well. Secondly, they do not have an accredited Masters of Architecture, instead they have a hybrid Interior Design/Architecture degree that's more focused on research.

As far as pursuing both degrees, I highly advise you against doing both at the same time, Architecture alone is incredibly time demanding, for every 4 hours of studio class (that's 4 a day, 3 days a week btw) you should expect to put in 3 more outside of class time on top of your other arch classes and your job (if you plan to work to sustain yourself).

If you do want to do both here's my advice, get your engineering degree first and make sure you do good in it (competitive GPA and such), in either civil or structural (I recommend structural), an Architectural Engineering degree is also a good option but when it comes time to become a Professional Engineer P.E. you will still have to choose to be a PE in either civil or structural, not a bad thing, just an FYI. Once you get your engineering stuff sorted out (Taking the F.E. Exam collecting the time and lastly taking P.E. Exam) THEN get an M.Arch (accredited degree) in an IPAL certificated program. This way you will have an amazing professional background to fall upon whilst going to grad school the requirements for a P.E. are surprisingly easier to obtain than Registered Architect R.A. (you could potentially be working towards a P.E. part time while going to school making far more money than fresh Arch grads out of college).

The value of this route is that you will have the pragmatic approach of an engineer while you pursue your Architectural post studies, this is scoffed at by some but firms like people who understand the technical part of buildings.

Sorry for the long essay! If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. I am currently researching IPAL options myself, I'm looking at Clemson SC, Portland State and U of Maryland as a strong contenders (I really wanted Drexel but for my circumstance it doesn't work out)

-Cheers!

Aug 3, 17 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: