Archinect
anchor

Architecture in the U.S. Armed Forces - IDP hours Experience Setting A?

Gloryshand

Hey hey -

I am an M.Arch student and have high hopes to commission into the Army after graduation. My long-term goal is to offer sustainable development solutions to emerging and frontier markets, and I believe that military experience would be a big plus for that (I am not motivated by a desire to hurt people or for a sense of blind nationalism, in case you take umbrage with my plans).

I am curious if anyone knows of any opportunities to complete architecture licensing IDP hours in the service? In particular, Experience Setting A, under an architect - I do know that military experience can count towards general employment.

My real goal is to go Army Engineers, which from what I understand today is a lot of route clearance, but I am definitely open to Navy and Air Force (Civil Engineering?) options as well. My assumption is that this isn't likely to be a thing because who knows if I'd be serving under an architect or not, but if so it would be a critical silver bullet. Thanks a lot for any input!

Jul 23, 17 6:47 am
Beepbeep

You can directly commission into the Navy and Air Force as an Architect - also provides a much higher quality of life. Things such as bases, houses and such are much better, and your life while deployed is higher. 

Jul 23, 17 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
You can acquire the IDP (now AXP) hours under any licensed architect. There is also a portion where you may acquire something like 1/3 hours under a PE. You can certainly work in sustainability with a civil engineering background as well.

For AXP you'll need to cross check state rules on licensure to ensure you're meeting both requirements. Some states are less strict about what counts and how many years you need.

Honestly the engineering degree will open way more doors for a military or civilian career than an arch one will.
Jul 23, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

Ive been in the army and air force 22 years 10 since becoming an Architect and Ive not run across another Architect. That said you could get credit if you just happen to get under one. It would be doing work thats realivant that is going to be difficult.

If you arent into the killing gung ho stuff I would lean toward the Air Force or you could end up in some pretty bad spots doing unpleasant things. 

Not sure I get how being in the military would help with your end goal. It does open some doors in government employment and possibly government contracts but private side I didnt see much beyond it being something that suprises people. 

Any direct commissioning Ive heard of required a license

Jul 24, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

Hey there Artic Jungle.

I am currently employed by the U.S. Air Force in a Civil Engineering Squadron and I would be happy to share some of my experiences. Although I'm in as a civilian, the duties and responsibilities are similar to those given to a 2nd Lt. In fact, I actually attended C.E. Tech school.

As far as hours of experience I've knocked out about 2 thirds of the AXP credits, however the design and construction document preparation elements are VERY hard to fulfill (in fact that's the only thing I'm missing and will have to complete after I'm out). 

In the military design work is often contracted out to private firms and such, on the flipside, I've gained a significant amount of technical experience and project management experience. I was lucky enough to have a licensed architect as a supervisor who signs my work and hours, even if you don't have a supervisor like mine, as long as they are in the same building and can mentor you and provide feedback you should be good.

If possible, join with the United States Corps of Engineers, they actually have a design element in their districts.

Please feel free to contact me if you want to know more!

-Cheers!

Aug 7, 17 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Richard Kim

Hi, I just graduated high school and I have decided to pursue Architecture. I will be having a lot of debt to pay after undergraduate school ( Out of State Tuition) so I was wondering if the military pays for previous schooling costs. 

I want to join the military not only for the money benefits, but also the discipline and overall service that I know I will be providing for my country. If you could help me determine whether or not the military after undergraduate school would be the best route for me, it would be much appreciated.

Jul 7, 18 1:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: