Archinect
anchor

Drugs in Studio? Please take the (completely anonymous) survey

Archinect

Considering the grueling hours and intense attention to detail demanded by architecture schools, it’s not really a surprise that illicit drugs—particularly stimulants—can be found among the xacto blades and thumb drives of architecture students’ desks. In the context of the current ‘study drug epidemic' sweeping American society more broadly, we want to know more about the real world of drugs in architectural school today. This survey aims to gather more statistics on the issue for an upcoming feature, which will analyze the relationship between drugs and studio culture.

The participation in the survey is completely anonymous and any additional comments are welcomed in the section below.

Jul 26, 17 11:58 am
senjohnblutarsky

I had booze in studio.  Does that count? 

I miss studio booze.

I miss shower beers.

I miss not paying for drinking too many beers. 

Jul 26, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

I still drink shower beers.

Jul 26, 17 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I miss sniffing the staedler markers rite after I down the pink molly and studio beer

Jul 27, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

dumb survey.

My studio locker held more booze than drafting supplies.

Jul 26, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bars eventually close for the night. My locker had service 24/7.

Jul 26, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

I can't survive 14-18 hours in studio without an edible/joint and some muscle relaxants.  Sitting at my desk and standing in the shop destroys your body and the pain is unbearable otherwise.  Being tall, all the counters are super low so you have to hunch over tools and work, and even with daily exercise/stretching, it takes a toll.

Also a friend of mine @ the med school does hours at the student clinic, and says that GSD students show up because of depression and exhaustion, HBS students for alcoholism, and HLS students for cocaine.  

Jul 26, 17 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Really? Maybe you should just, you know, try exercise and time management. Jez... studio is not that hard that it destroys your body.

Jul 26, 17 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoast

I agree, studio is hard but I can think of so many other things that would play a much more negative role on the body, physically.

Jul 26, 17 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Technically caffeine is a drug so every studio with a coffee machine counts...so that'd be all of them?
Jul 26, 17 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Anybody holding?

Jul 26, 17 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what do you need

Jul 26, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That survey focuses on school experiences, understandably.

Important follow-ups would inquire as to whether (for those out of school) the drug use continued, changed, or stopped; and what part the work environment played.

Jul 26, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

This would be an excellent survey, too!

Jul 26, 17 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

def had to have my pre-review brew.  

Jul 26, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Survey is not very good.  What drugs are we talking about? Legal? Illegal? Because I'm pretty sure we all drank a boatload of caffeine and most of us drank booze in studio on the regular.

Oddly it wasn't until after graduation that I started using illegal recreational drugs. 

Jul 27, 17 1:36 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

What do you consider is "not good" about the survey? The survey includes questions asking about specific drugs, including the legal and illegal use of prescription drugs. Alcohol and caffeine aren't included in the list due to the fact that they are generally taken publicly, so it's quite evident how those are consumed, but many respondents are still listing those in the "other" response.

Jul 27, 17 1:57 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I could be off base but presumably you're interested in finding out about the use of illegal drugs. The questions don't specify that. For example, the second question asks about performance enhancing drugs, which could be just about anything from caffeine to pot to amphetamines to lsd to beta blockers. How does that question give you any meaningful information? As I said, we pretty much all drink coffee. I don't imagine that's the info you're looking for, that's all.

Jul 27, 17 5:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Never really had the opportunity in studio, the faculty was open Mon-Thursday only until 22:00 and on Fridays until 19:00. Doesn't really make sense to use performance enhancers when you're kicked out the building that early. We had drinks in the faculty pub on Fridays though, but didn't do any work after that and our performance wasn't enhanced at all. On the other plus side, never really needed performance enhancers to do the occasional all-nighter at home, or is a cat nap considered a drug? 

Jul 27, 17 7:19 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

No hard drug use (excluding marijuana) in my grad program as I recall. Though I heard the undergrads should have been corporately sponsored by the makers of Adderall, Ritalin, and Mexican cocaine cartels.

Jul 27, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

studio supplies

Jul 27, 17 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

So if I want some adderal (just need one for today) I should visit the local arch studio. Got it. 

Edit to add: I actually have ADD so the people in white coats will probably give me some but I don't want it. Hitler gave his troops amphetamines. You can do a lot on them. But slippery slopes...

Jul 28, 17 10:28 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this is the prequel to chigurh picture above, cocaine is a hell of a drug

Jul 28, 17 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It this why it can be so hard to communicate in this field? Cause everyone's always blitzed? 

Jul 28, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Are Californians more coherent than the other 49 state's residents when high?

Jul 28, 17 11:08 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

well, some of us are born blitzed to begin with....

Jul 28, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: