Archinect
anchor

Starting a Architectural Technology degree at 37 years old.

joeuk

Hi,

I think this forum is mainly geared towards the American marketplace so apologies, as I am from the UK, but this also seems to be the best forum on this subject so I thought I would ask my questions here on the off chance. I'm sure there will be some UK professionals around here somewhere! 

Basically, I have always wanted to be an architect, but a combination of not being very bright at school, kids etc have got in the way of "The Dream". So at 37 I am doing what I think and consider to be a close as I will get, considering the time it takes. Even this degree is 6 years part time. 

My main questions are:

1. Am I too old? I don't think so but some real world advice would be great.

2. What are the main differences between tech and being a full arch? Everything I read bases this around less time spent on the design elements. 

3. What can I expect when I finish? In terms of level and salary. This isn't salary driven but it would be nice to know what to expect. 

I have just had a son and the thought of him seeing his dad as a admin monkey when he is 6 fills me with dread. So this is fulfilling a dream and for me and my family to have a dad who has a career rather than a paycheck only! 

Thank you and ALL comments welcome. 

Joe

Jul 18, 17 10:29 am
Almosthip7

I am 42. I just started a 10 year syllabus program.  I hope we are not to old.

Jul 18, 17 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

that's rough, but doable if you can balance a career job in the field.

Jul 18, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 

When you're in your mid-40's you'll be making the same salary - if you can find work - as a 22 year old.

You son will do better with you spending more time with him regardless of what you do. 

Happiness is not doing what you love, it' s loving what you do.

Jul 18, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
joeuk

I agree in a lot of ways. The problem is, I don' t love what I do.

Jul 19, 17 4:43 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I think you missed the point...

Jul 19, 17 7:29 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

The techs on my staff all work fewer hours and get much less emotionally involved in projects than our design staff. But they also get paid less. 

More or less like any grunt/manager comparison. 

For what it's worth, a good tech is valuable and in demand, at least around my part of the world.

Jul 18, 17 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
designermom

In 6 years you will be 43. So, you can be 43 with a degree or without a degree. Regardless, you will be 43. Do something that your future self will thank! I started the Architects Exams at 47 and became licensed at 51. It was one of the best things I ever did and I don't regret it at all! If you want to do it, "Just do it".

Jul 18, 17 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
salino79

I am 47 ,married with 4 kids,about completing my degree in Interior Design and Decoration..It,s  bn a long long journey but am almost done.Its not bn easy as i had to work 10 times harder to catch up with my younger classmates.A few times i almost gave up but persevered  .The end justifies the means.

My advice is 'Go for it'

Jul 19, 17 10:24 am  · 
 · 
archinine
With a tech arch degree you'll be a cad/revit monkey. It's up to you if that's truly better than admin monkey. You need a full bachelors to establish a career - otherwise you'll hit a ceiling rather quickly. Though in today's office if you are exceptional in revit you *might* be able to transition to BIM manager which is less monkey and more of a hybrid IT role.
Jul 21, 17 8:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

BIM Manager is just a management role where you fill documents, spec sheets and manage folks....typically speaking.

Jul 21, 17 8:36 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Honestly it depends on the person who is driven by a dream. in my 11yr career, i have worked w/ people w/ various backgrounds, worked for a principal who only had a high school diploma and was grandfathered AiA, worked w/ several pm's who only had 2yr tech degree & I have M.Arch, and they were making waaaaaaay more than I! on the other hand I hav worked w/ people with M.Arch who dont know there head from there behind!!!

Jul 21, 17 10:06 am  · 
 · 
melnikov

Don't know where you are based but in the UK an Architectural Technology degree is not designed to lead to a 'cad monkey' role. Qualified ATs can run their own architectural practice here. I'm not going to tell OP what he should or shouldn't do but I think it's important that he knows the facts before making a decision. I know a number of ATs at leading practices in London, some of whom work on design delivery, others at pre-planning, others a mix of both. It's an extremely valuable degree, especially as BIM is taught in many of the courses.

Jul 22, 17 3:14 pm  · 
1  · 
joeuk

melnikov - Thank you for this, you have put my mind at rest that the degree will actually mean something. Can I ask where you are based please?

Jul 24, 17 4:39 am  · 
 · 
melnikov

Hi Joe, glad I could help. I'm working in London but studied in Ireland and Sheffield. The CIAT website is also a good resource, it's is full of information regarding Architectural Technology. Of course everyone's experience will differ and your role will largely depend on the practice you work for, but you don't go to university for 3/4 years to become a CAD monkey. Anyone can learn that at home.

Jul 24, 17 8:25 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Theta I believe you truly. However, if I had to guess I would say those people had been in the industry for many years, starting at time when just a diploma or AA was all one needed in life. The game has changed substantially and as others have noted OP will be competing with 22 year olds who know all the software and have professional degrees, for an entry level job in an era obsessed with youth.

Archiwut - it really depends. In my experience BIM roles are filled by IT people or dedicated BIM people with backgrounds or training in arch. Perhaps much higher upon outside the US it is different. What I have seen is people who make sure the software is running, clean/audit models, create/update templates, coordinate with network infrastructure to optimize workflows, find ways to eliminate staff er I mean 'automate' tasks, and other various Revit specific things involving research. Those with python or other coding knowledge, plus a general understanding of how document sets are put together tend to be coveted.

BIM is honestly the most forgiving path in terms of not having a prof degree. And it's often got 'management' in the title even if one is only managing machines...OP has stated personal value in a more prestigious sounding role. These people are certainly respected though they are certainly not 'designers' most of the time.
Jul 21, 17 11:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Archinine I can assure you I know what a BIM manager does, as I've been

Jul 24, 17 6:17 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Stupid phone entered -

Jul 24, 17 6:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Go For It!

Jul 22, 17 7:27 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

Don't know where you are based but in the UK an Architectural Technology degree is not designed to lead to a 'cad monkey' role. Qualified ATs can run their own architectural practice here. I'm not going to tell OP what he should or shouldn't do but I think it's important that he knows the facts before making a decision. I know a number of ATs at leading practices in London, some of whom work on design delivery, others at pre-planning, others a mix of both. It's an extremely valuable degree, especially as BIM is taught in many of the courses.

Thank you for this. Can I ask where you are based?

Jul 24, 17 4:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: