Archinect
anchor

Question about square footage/living space in big mansions

Lounieus

Hello to all,

I've got a simple question about calculating the "living area" inside a big mansion.

Are the staff quarters included in this? Also, is the attic area and basement included?

For instance, while looking at the Wikipedia page of The Breakers (a major mansion in America) it says "the 70-room mansion has a gross area of 125,339 square feet (11,644.4 m2) and 62,482 square feet (5,804.8 m2) of living area on five floors."

If you see a picture of The Breakers it has three main storeys, and an additional roof and basement.

Does this mean that the 62,482 square feet of living area includes the space in the roof and basement areas?

Furthermore, in a large, British country mansion like Blenheim palace (which I think is 160,000 square feet of space or something), does the "living area" include the "servants' wings" surrounding the main house? After all, they are still accessible to the main house as they are attached.

In these houses sometimes these "servant wings" sometimes even exceed the main house in size but they are usually attached.

It would be great to hear your input on this.

Regards,

Lounieus

Jul 9, 17 10:31 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

Volunteer

I think the rule of thumb would be if it is an inhabitable space. Unheated garage and basement and attic space would not count. If you finished off the attic, for example, you could list it as xx square foot house including a yy square foot finished attic.

Jul 10, 17 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Non Sequitur

Have no fear, Sir Richard Balkins will be here shortly to explain. 

Jul 10, 17 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Lounieus

If the attics and basements aren't included, then why did the Wikipedia say: 

"62,482 square feet (5,804.8 m2) of living area on five floors."

As we know, the five floors consists of the three main storeys plus basement and attic.

And also I thought that attic space could be included as long as it was like at least 7 feet high and could be reached by stairs?

Jul 10, 17 9:52 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Who is asking and for what purpose?  Would the attic space be considered if it is unconditioned?

Jul 10, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

are we done with the fireplace flues? 

on the sq.ft. question, gross may include stables, garages, shops and storage, and mechanical rooms.

Jul 10, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well the first floor has 15,884 sq ft not counting the 1,023 s.f. loggia and not counting stairs. Doing the math for the other two stories which have rooms in the loggia space and adding a ballpark 6,000 s.f. for stairs for all three floors you come up with 55,700 s.f.. Which is close enough to the 62,482 s.f. quoted to doubt seriously if any attic or basement areas are included.

Jul 10, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Are you the same person who was asking about this house's fireplaces recently?  I get the idea we're being asked to do someone's homework here...

Wikipedia is not a good source, but it's often a decent starting point for research, in that it connects one to various better primary sources.  In this case if you'd bothered to follow the citation for the information you quoted, you'd have found exactly how the gross square footage was calculated.  It's from the tax roll, and the property card even contains a table of all finished and unfinished areas.

Jul 10, 17 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Lounieus

I did ask about the fireplace.

Jul 11, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Lounieus

This is not "homework" I'm doing, it's just my hobby of designing house plans. Also, I'm aware of the Wikipedia "inaccuracy" stuff, I rely on it because it's convenient and I haven't enough time.

In any case, thank you for this citation. I'll see to this.

Jul 11, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Juras1956

Yes include staff living areas and any finished basement and attic areas too. If its your own home dont. Save on the property taxes :) 

Jul 10, 17 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: