Archinect
anchor

The Architect Vs. The Doorman

BulgarBlogger

My doorman dropped out if HS and eanrs $60k and all medical benefits. He did not serve in the military, and because of the Union, borrowed money at a reduced rate and now owns several apartments. All he does all day is open doors for wealthy people and goes home at 5pm.

Next time allnof us archutects think about charging 10k for a jib we all know would cost 50k, think about weather its fair that a doorman earns more than you...

Jul 2, 17 5:10 pm
Non Sequitur

Doors need to be opened. 

Jul 2, 17 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, but does he get oohs and aahs when he tells people he opens doors for a living at cocktail parties?  That's worth at least 20 grand.

Jul 2, 17 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does he get marriage proposals? Doubt it.

Jul 2, 17 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

neither do i tintt

Jul 3, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 

... you're paying him. Maybe you should move.

Jul 2, 17 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

just think aboutnit next time you undercut your fellow professionals... you are earning less than doormen without any education...

Jul 2, 17 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

maybe you do... I certainly don't.

Jul 2, 17 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don't undercut.

Jul 2, 17 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Looks like an even match to me.

Jul 2, 17 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Wow- so you people think that your time is worth as much as that of a doorman. Man are we doomed as a profession...

So now that SF and Seattle are raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, fresh grads with masters degrees earning $3-5 more must be feeling almost equally as valuable as an HS dropout working at Mcdonalds... absolutely pathetic...

Jul 2, 17 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Relax. Just because a few replies to your odd post don't happen to sing your song instantaneously, there's no need to get your panties all twisted.

Jul 2, 17 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Are you saying we should look down in a doorman whom earns an honest living? Seriously you should look at yourself in the mirror before you judge honest working folks like that.

Jul 3, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No it isn't, being an architect is a passion whilst I doubt anyone dreams of being a doorman.

Jul 10, 17 4:25 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Mate, when you actually go through any type of education come back and talk.

Jul 10, 17 11:38 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

How many doormen get to be famous?

http://www.freep.com/story/new...

Jul 2, 17 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So, you can afford to pay someone to open doors for you. What's there to complain about? 

If all you care about is who makes the most $$$ for the least amount of effort, go after his job and your commute will only be a smooth elevator ride.

Jul 2, 17 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Thank you

Jul 2, 17 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
"So, you can afford to pay someone to open doors for you. What's there to complain about? "

This. This. This. This. This.

I love my life. I'm so happy and so fortunate, and so grateful.
Jul 2, 17 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I don't get the connection either.  Where are you living that architects are making less than 60k but doorman buildings are common?  How many architects do you know who are doing projects for 10k that cost 5 times that to do? Those must be independently wealthy architects in the first place, who are taking on projects purely for sport - otherwise they'd be losing their shirts and not living in doorman buildings, thus no doorman envy.

I go home at 5 too, but I don't have to be on my feet all day opening doors, and I make considerably more than your doorman.  I'm curious though about the "reduced rates" that the union gets him - my mortgage is at 2.6% - how much can I reduce that by joining the doorman union?

Jul 3, 17 9:25 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Now look at them yoyos thats the way you do it. You open doors in the NYC.  That aint working. Thats the way you do it. Money for nothing and your chicks for free...

Jul 3, 17 9:47 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Doormen also dont spend 100k learning Doorman theory and building diaramas of door entry situations, but thats life bulgar.  You get t

Jul 3, 17 10:14 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

*to sit at a desk all day thinking about starting doorman vs architect threads on archinect. Doormen spend all day opening doors and probably thinking about what a dick you are.

Jul 3, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Its not nice to shit on other peoples professions. Im sure some of them have little doomen and doorwomen at home whom look up to them. Get over yourself and have respect for working people. You are entitled to NOTHING.

Jul 3, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Your doorman is very well paid.  Not sure where you're located, but the median salary for a doorman in NYC is about $18 per hour, and nationwide $15.30.  Some architects in some offices in some regions may start lower than the median doorman salary, but nationwide the 75th percentile architect's salary is more than twice the 75th percentile doorman salary.

Jul 3, 17 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Doormen get paid to be pleasant and to please people. Architects could do that too if they want to get paid more. 

Jul 3, 17 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

But then they would cease to be Architects (with a capital A!)

Jul 8, 17 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

im talking anout entry level grads at SOM making 48k.

Jul 3, 17 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

If being a doorman would make you happy, then go be a doorman. You should do what makes you happy.

Remember, though, that being a doorman, if you are lucky you may make 60k, but you will never make more than that.  If you are an architect, and are dedicated and talented, your earning potential over time is much higher than 60k.

Jul 3, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly what Erik said.

Jul 5, 17 10:38 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Most entry-level doorman start below minimum wage (they're legally allowed to, because it's classified as a partially tip-based job - the expectation is that tips per hour range from $3 to $8.50.)  The new grad working at SOM for $23/hour (48k/year) is making more than the median-earning doorman makes, and the median-earning doorman has 8 years of doorman experience.  The argument can be made that the doorman has not spent anything on tuition, and has 4 to 8 more earning years over the course of his career - but even so the architect's career-long earnings are expected to significantly exceed the doorman's, because the range from entry-level to maximum doorman salary is much smaller than for the architect.

Jul 3, 17 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

...you must be the life of the party geez

Jul 3, 17 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

What I posted above was from Department of Labor statistics. It's classified in the same way as restaurant waitstaff, hospitality housekeepers, valets, etc., as a profession that is customarily paid in part by gratuities, thus exempt from minimum wage requirements. The starting salary is below minimum wage in most regions - only  $7 to $12 an hour base.

Jul 3, 17 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick you're just making things up again. It's clear you have no restaurant or hospitality experience. There are no states where waiters, etc. are required to be paid full minimum wage, and very few employers pay full minimum wage to tipped workers. The federal minimum hourly rate for tipped workers is $2.13. In a few states tipped workers must be paid at least 50% of the state's minimum wage, but in most the minimum is less.

Jul 3, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

http://narrative.ly/the-secret...

Jul 3, 17 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

Doormen will lose their jobs when the robot workforce comes. Oh wait, so will you. 

Jul 3, 17 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I won't.

Jul 5, 17 7:52 am  · 
 · 
knock knock

What a hideous way to measure someone's worthiness. A lot of those guys work hard to put their kids through the college. Sometimes architecture school. My friends had one from Dominican Republic who did that and was worth every penny they paid him. He had more class than many architects in Manhattan.

Jul 5, 17 1:44 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"The only time you look in your neighbor’s bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don’t look in your neighbor’s bowl to see if you have as much as them." -Louis CK

Jul 5, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

+++

Jul 6, 17 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Bet the doorman lives within his means. This has nothing to do with a certain profession and everything to do with the way individuals choose to spend their money. They don't teach financial literacy in grad school. 

Jul 6, 17 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

These bagels and coffee are giving me diarrhea.  I used to clean toilets for $2.25 per hour in 1987.  At least toilets didn't give me VERBAL shit.

Hold nose / hold anus = LEED Certification, I think

As farts approach infinity : consciousness approaches zero

Jul 6, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I don't know what you're smoking but can I have some?

Jul 6, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mike-LBI-NY

The union is a great place. It helps us the stand strong against our foes in some cases the big man. 

Jul 6, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Hey Bulgar, there's diamonds on Uranus. Go get some. 

Jul 6, 17 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Bulgar ‘blogger’ Trump. You sound like a piece of shit, and just green because you’ll never open any doors. #scumbag

Jul 6, 17 7:10 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
RickB - clearly you googled/researched a lot but Bloopox is still correct. You are correct in that employers *should* pay min wage / make up the difference but the rule is rarely enforced especially when it comes to small businesses... speak to anyone who's worked in service, it's a common narrative to have been paid below min wage at one or more places when starting out.

That said doormen are typically paid more than tipped and often reg min wage. In reality the tips just aren't there and workers aren't willing to put up with that. Turnover is far more expensive than the pittance employers may save on sub min wages.
Jul 8, 17 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/2...

Jul 9, 17 9:53 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I have an old friend from high school who is a garbage worker and he seems happy with that career choice.  They don't quite make 100k here but the 60 hour work weeks and constant stench are accurate - his wife makes him keep his work clothes in their detached garage.  They installed a shower and laundry out there.  I make more than he does, rarely work more than 45 hours per week, and don't have to shower in my garage, but he gets to work outdoors, is in better shape, gets to keep things that people throw away, and a lot of people give him Christmas bonuses.  If the life and wages of garbage worker or doorman appeal then why stay in architecture? Those opportunities await.

Jul 9, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

hey the other day I sat by my pool, Drank a cold beer, and spent the day sketching concepts for a cool sculptural fountain and garden im designing.  So yeah, trash collectors and doorman have it much harder...and jerks like bulgar dont even want them fairly paid...

Jul 9, 17 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: