Archinect
anchor

MArch Portfolio review :)

arch.shaheen

Hello everyone. 

I have applied for ITECh and IOA Vienna but i got rejected due to unfinished degree,i will graduate in August ,but i will try next year so i would to know your opinions on it. Please feel free to comment on it openly, I want to improve myself.

https://issuu.com/a.skiller/do...

and if there is any suggested studies in Germany or UK.

thank you for your time :)

Jun 26, 17 10:01 am
ilovearchitecture

The CV is kinda boring. Spice it up. Make it interesting to read. Learn how to layout a page.

The portfolio focuses too much on renders. No process is shown. I honestly don't see architectural thinking, critical thinking, conceptual thinking, imagination or even technicality anywhere. I think it is good to show those qualities if you want to get accepted into good schools.  Also, poor typeface. Not doing your master straight after your bachelor degree is not a bad idea to spend a lil time more on portfolio. 

Good luck ! 

Jun 26, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
arch.shaheen

great points :)

Jun 26, 17 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
arch.shaheen

when i saw it now, i put too many projects to demonstrate that i can work on different scales ,i dont like pages and pages of plans and GH dif. and i was limited by 10 pages only

technical drawing is my weakest points

i'm working more on it, thx

Jun 26, 17 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

technical drawings are what get you, and keep you, employed.

Jun 27, 17 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
your conscience

your cover project is eerily similar to chaoyang park plaza by mad

Jun 26, 17 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
arifj

For an M. Arch portfolio don't be afraid to be a little longer than 14 pages. Add more white space, and more drawings to break up the monotony of colorful renderings. And some model shots / diagrams if you're into that could spice it up a bit. 

I personally think the sort of skeumorphic boxes you have with the "concept" and "info" listed in it as well as the off kilter tilted drop shadow images seem a little unprofessional to me. But that's just my opinion!! If you feel strongly about them feel free to keep them :)

But I like your work in general, with some layout changes (more white space) could be a sweet portfolio 

Jun 26, 17 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
FlameAura

Sorry for being harsh, but I think this portfolio needs a lot of work to be seriously considered in Germany or UK. I think the formal approach of your projects is not going to work in your favour for european schools (unless you show more of a process and somehow try justify your design decisions) I would advise you to select few schools that you'd be interested in and then search on ISSUU for portfolios of people that were admitted or graduated from there. Then read very carefully all the diagrams/text/images to see whats their process (and the style of the school) and try to think what was your process and how to represent it in your portfolio so it's interesting for you and the admission comittee. You probably will need to redo/modify your projects (or their representation), but you have some time now and you also don't need as many projects as you have there. I think 3-4 projects shown in depth would be much more interesting than numerous project without any explanations.

I would also strongly encourage you to take a break between your bachelor and masters. With professional experience you will benefit from masters programme much much more :)

Good luck!

Jun 27, 17 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
arch.shaheen

no offense not at all, great points :) i will post a comment explain my approach thank you a lot for your time

Jun 28, 17 12:45 am  · 
 · 
arch.shaheen

to explain some points :

what i love ,is researching and making concepts

for example i spent 3 months researching about airports then i designed it in 2 weeks , not finished sure but next airport will be better

for that i put 10 projects ,with only one shot highly detailed explain the concept ,material, scale and i am working on new method to show the process better

i saw a lot of student folios ,making buildings by GH without idea to reach abstract model without function ,i can do like this things now but i will take it to the next level

after a while ,observing ITEcH and students approaches i dont really know if this is the right career for me  and i found game and movie industry much better as designing and concepts.

for that i ask for another studies or master

Maybe as you said i need a break before getting into master

thank you for your concerns 

looking forward your visions :)

Jun 28, 17 1:01 am  · 
 · 
ilovearchitecture

I don't mean to be a dick but I think you overestimate your own ability (at this point in life). The fact that your portfolio is not 'good' doesn't mean that you are not suitable for architecture and game and movie industry is more suitable. Maybe

Jun 28, 17 3:20 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Without diagrams documenting your thought process, your folio feels like a student "making buildings by GH without idea to reach abstract model without function". lol

Jun 28, 17 11:31 am  · 
 · 
arch.shaheen

LoL OK OK the message received :)

Jun 28, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

You can get into schools in europe, Why not even America. You dont need to revamp your whole portfolio and for the CV. Dont worry about that . looks fine to me, in all honesty no one is going to say "well his arch work was great but the CV was not to par so lets reject him"

2 things you need.

1) show your design process. People here have said it. But its important because it tells a story. This will keep anyone more interested in looking at your portfolio. Think about a fashion magazine or a pamphlet about a new car. It relates the design to the process the artist/engineer took, shows features, and wraps everything up.

2) this one is easy. You need white space. Your portfolio is too cluttered. Again, think how cologne and jewelry pamphlets/websites present their design. they have a shitload of white space.

otherwise Good work! i like everything else i see.

Jun 28, 17 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
arch.shaheen

thanks a lot for positive review and I’m working on these points ok, is the third project with diagrams and simulation looks good ?!

Jun 28, 17 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: