Archinect
anchor

Computer Upgrade ?

MarkWing

I am hoping I can get some advice on upgrading my computer.

I currently have a:

HP Envy 17T-k000

Intel i7
Intel HD 4600 Graphics ( which if i understand correctly, thats built in to the motherboard)
16gb of ram
1tb of memory

It runs most of my programs decently enough but hoping to get a boost, especially when rendering. Which from what i understand is mainly the processor. 

I am hoping upgrading my graphics card( even though I read, I dont really have one... ) and bu doing so, see some improvement in my overall computer operations. 

Wondering if there is any advice out there for my problem. Is there a external graphics card? All i see is external graphics amplifiers, I dont think that is the same thing... I dont know though. 

I hear having 4gb for just graphics is pretty good, do I have that opportunity with my current laptop ?

Jun 23, 17 8:02 pm
Spoons

You are not going to be able to upgrade a laptop's processor or graphics card.  The most you can hope for is upgrading your hard drive to an SSD if it isn't one already.  

Jun 23, 17 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Your processor is fine - though you did not state the speed, most any i7 is likely fast enough for your purpose. You need a dedicated video card to render quick. 1GB is the minimum industry standard currently. And no you cannot externally attach it. Build a new PC tower if you want to upgrade as you go.
Jun 24, 17 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Also you don't have 1TB of memory, it's storage. RAM is memory. Learn the terminology to avoid getting fleeced upon your next purchase.
Jun 24, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
MarkWing

Opps, Thanks for catching the typo regarding the 1tb of storage. 

Thanks for the help. I was hoping on something like the devil box.http://www.powercolor.com/us/p...

Jun 24, 17 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Interesting. Didn't know they made such a thing. . NVIDIA has dedicated support for OpenGL used in rhino and tends to be the preferred option if that's what you're using. Though Radion isn't bad either. Assuming you have a thunderbolt port perhaps this is your best bet. Still more bang for buck over time to build a tower but the external will work. I sure wouldn't want to lug that thing around.
Jun 24, 17 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
MarkWing

Absolutely, I think I have convinced myself to just build a tower. Rhino is my preferred program and I know things will go more smoothly with a fresh start. 

Thanks again!

Jun 25, 17 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: