Archinect
anchor

What are my chances to get a job abroad?

Zaina

I'm Arab. I have a fairly good academic portfolio as I graduated a year ago from an Emirati University, with little experience working with 3D's and artificial stone installation, what are my chances to get a job & a job visa abroad? I assume it'd be difficult now with trump ruling in the US, how about Europe?

P.S.  really fed up with different types of sexual harassment in this region... I need to get out!

Jun 22, 17 1:09 am
accesskb

If you're good, you should have no trouble getting a job and having firms sponsor you.  Just reach out to firms you're interested in with your portfolio and see what they say.  If the job market is tough, you can always ask for a year paid internship.  Work hard and prove to them you're an asset.  I'm sure they'll hire you long term. 

Jun 22, 17 1:29 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Don't need to be a chicken little and worry the Trump sky is falling. If your academic materials are that good you wouldn't have a problem coming in should firms recognize your valuable skillsets.

P.S.: You should convince other females in your region, seems they're still in denial about many basic rights.

Jun 22, 17 2:46 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

I am wondering if I can get more of a professional advice as I know it's  very competitive among US graduates themselves, Where to focus my search? What kind of positions I'll be looking for? and What type of firms/ institutions ?

Jun 22, 17 4:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Come to the UK, many of my friends manage to get visas to larger firms here.

Jun 22, 17 4:52 am  · 
 · 
archinine
This is a good time in the US as many places are hiring. Your odds may be better in mid tier cities where competition is lower. e.g. NYC and LA are going to be the toughest despite having the most open positions due to Americans and international graduates flocking there. If you're dead set on getting to one of those cities consider beginning a US career in a smaller place like Houston, Columbus, Miami etc working a few years then going to the huge cities. Bigger firms, search top 100 us firms, are usually better equipped to provide visas. However a smaller firm owned/operated by a person from the same region/country as yourself is likely to be welcoming to a fellow immigrant architect, they may even have clients back home which would mean any additional language skills you have will be highly valued (I know someone who now has a green card who started in the US this way). Related to that, you may be able to start with a US based company with an Arab/Dubai office and transfer to the US after a time. Ironically, due to Trump it's actually been even easier to get a visa as applications have dropped substantially. I have two friends who were accepted this year after being rejected last year (one is an architect).
Jun 22, 17 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
carryhaddis

it all depends on experience that you have, what about a job in Dubai or Australia? it would be a great start for you

Jun 23, 17 4:43 am  · 
 · 
TED

You might consider taking a 1 year post masters in either the US or UK so you can gain a cultural understanding of the place you wish to live.  During the year, network with practices you wish to join.  

Tough for anyone particularly entry level or within 3-5 years graduation to be considered for a work visa - countries generally require some demonstration of skills in the applicant that are not found in the current available potential home candidates.

In the UK generally larger firms are those who sponsor candidates - under UK contract, BIM is generally a requirement of all contracts so you might skill up a bit -

Jun 23, 17 5:45 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

You could probably find a job in China. There are lots of firms there.

Jun 23, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: