Archinect
anchor

Want to pursue architecture but with no background. Advice?

jilltrivedi

I'm located in new york city and I'm thinking about pursuing a career in architecture. I've spoken to a couple people to get an idea of what to expect in the field but the part i'm struggling with is figuring out where and how to apply to grad programs.

I'm aware of M.Arch 3-4 year programs for people with no background but when I end up looking for a job don the line, does the field discriminate between people who do have that bachelors degree versus people like me? 

Also how do i put together a portfolio with no background? I tried applying to introductory summer programs but I'm waiting to hear back and I'm losing hope. I've heard that it's best to use my background and try to present it in an artistic way. My bachelors is in biology and I'm currently a biochemist by training if anyone has any suggestions for how to manipulate that into something portfolio-worthy? I'm also a dancer, would it be okay to include still frames of my performances?

Jun 18, 17 3:35 pm
spectacular vernacular

M.Arch. + outstanding portfolio.

I would actually consider finding a way to graphically represent your interest in the overlap between the process of creating dance and the process of creating space - or something along those lines. Take your time. There's no shortcut to great work. All you can do now is begin to re-direct your talents and energies.

Enter competitions and try to reach out to the jurors in a creative (and non-creeper) manner for critique of your work. Get to know people in the world of architecture who do work that is interesting to you and try to end up in programs they are associated with, and eventually the firms they run.

Study the lives of people like David Adjaye, Tadao Ando, and FLLW who entered the world of design/ architecture via roads less traveled.

Jun 18, 17 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: