guidelines (Federal!)

- must be a plan published by others and noteworthy

- black and white if possible

- you guess correct >>>you post next.

we shall start off easy -

Jun 17, 17 11:51 pm
archietechie

Barca Pavilion - Mies ;)

Should also mention, no cheating via google reverse image search.

Edit: Can't seem to add images while editting comments so I'll pass.

Jun 18, 17 2:06 am
tintt

Easy one, we should all know the Barcelona Pavilion. I'll take over for you, techie.

Image result for chapel at mit plan

I've never visited this one in person myself though. On my bucket list.

Jun 18, 17 10:27 am
archietechie

You have my thanks ;)

Interesting plan. Had me there for a moment as I could've swore this could be Oscar Niemeyer's handiwork.

jw468

Eero Saarinen's MIT Chapel.

Next:

Jun 18, 17 11:05 am
Chris_Teeter

so it's two buildings with an atrium between, looks like a stage, and then buildings within the building? and a wall deflecting traffic to entrance, white an exterior entrance to what looks like a back door hallway?....I thought Kahn and Rudolph at first, but not sure and no luck...interesting...

jw468

It's two separate buildings with outdoor space between the two, but one project. Some hints, it's a Swedish religious structure consecrated 11 years later than tintt's building above.

Chris_Teeter

took some googling research ( didn't cheat, used your hints) - a church by Sigurd Lewerentz  

Church of St. Peter, Klippan, SE

Jun 18, 17 8:35 pm
threadkilla

amazing building! saw that slick window detail many times, but did not know much about the whole project before this thread - thanks jw468 and Teeter!

Chris_Teeter

Jun 18, 17 8:45 pm
Sarah Lorenzen

Easy... Bauhaus Building, Dessau

Jun 18, 17 8:48 pm
Sarah Lorenzen

Not a plan I realize...

Jun 18, 17 8:54 pm

Try this one instead

Jun 18, 17 8:57 pm

that looks like oma's kunsthalle in rotterdam

Jun 18, 17 10:04 pm
jw468

The isometric is the house and studio for Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo by Juan O'Gorman.

Jun 18, 17 11:00 pm

Both of you are correct. Hi Orhan.

Jun 18, 17 11:21 pm
jw468

I think FRIDA was the last movie I saw in a theater. Anyway...

Jun 18, 17 11:48 pm
citizen

FLW's Morris Gift Shop, San Francisco

zenza

FLW - Xanadu Gallery!

Jun 19, 17 12:22 am
b3tadine[sutures]

Tadao Ando - Church of Light

Jun 19, 17 1:18 am
threadkilla

Raymund Abraham's epic House for Music / Musikerhaus

Orhan never picked a plan for us to guess... here's the next one:

Jun 19, 17 2:08 am
threadkilla

hint: the project was published (probably for the first time) in 1928

Chris_Teeter

was looking for a hint. thats just ome floor plan for the entire level right?

quondam...

Ivan Leonidov, design entry for a film factory in Moscow (1927) general plan

Chris_Teeter

interesting work

threadkilla

Quondam nailed it! Please pick the next plan for us to guess.

threadkilla

Chris, yes that's the "general plan" for the whole project. I will try scanning the other drawings from the Film Factory proposal and posting them here in a bit. Leonidov is a fascinating character, mostly notable because of the influence his student work (mostly the project for the Lenin Institute and Library) was acknowledged for having on Koolhaas/OMA/Rem's archi-progeny...

threadkilla

I. Leonidov, Lenin Institute (elevation, plan)

Chris_Teeter

def. see the influence now - first image that comes to mind - https://artstor.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/moma_11890001.gif?w=500

Dzejk94

Hi student here, got myself quite a puzzle.

Cant find no info, only got this picture. Any ideas anyone? Gotta solve it before the exam next week :V

Jun 19, 17 3:50 am
threadkilla

1. not a plan 2. you did not guess one, you don't get to suggest one 3. do you think there might be a purpose to your teachers not giving you the full info prior to the exam? consult class notes and do some research ffs

Jun 19, 17 7:11 pm
Non Sequitur

Seattle Library - OMA

Non Sequitur

Damn... reverse image search tells me I'm wrong.

threadkilla

no cheat needed for those curves - Carme Pinos, CaixaForum in Zaragosa, third floor cropped plan http://www.cpinos.com/index.ph...

well done you killed it;)

threadkilla

thanks! that's a great pick. the ground floor plan is also really interesting (http://www.archdaily.com/522894/caixaforum-zaragoza-estudio-carme-pinos/53b3ac12c07a80790f000295-caixaforum-zaragoza-estudio-carme-pinos-ground-floor-plan) and the project is extraordinary in section

quondam...

Jun 20, 17 4:28 pm
threadkilla

looks like a MOS project, but I am not 100% sure...

quondam...

not MOS

quondam...

hint: shipping containers

Chris_Teeter

http://inhabitat.com/james-whitaker-designs-funky-light-filled-office-space-out-of-shipping-containers/ first I thought apartments, then I looked closer, probably offices and this came up in google images

Chris_Teeter

and I shouldn't of thought apartments based on the first plan, but I also assumed, maybe that's just part of it....hints help

Chris_Teeter

the rest of the partial elevation would give it away (first hint)

Jun 20, 17 9:06 pm

portland building m graves?

(nope.)

Chris_Teeter

too large, think smaller

Chris_Teeter

by a storyteller of sorts

quondam...

John Quentin Hejduk, House of the Quadruplets / House for Two Brothers (Berlin, Tegel, 1988).

quondam...

Jun 21, 17 7:44 am
quondam...

hint: either Louisiana or St. Louis or Louisville

jw468

OMA Louisville Food Port

jw468

I'll start this one with a hint:

This is a landscape project designed by an architect for a culturally-important group of buildings. It's not a building, but this is this architect's most famous work, by far.

Jun 22, 17 6:30 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Jardim Colombo, Sao Paulo?

jw468

No, but the date mentioned on the Wikipedia page that comes up when I google your suggestion is roughly a decade later than this project. This is in the northern hemisphere.

threadkilla

took a little bit of digging around, but once I figured out the site is the Acropolis, I could track down some really good info about this landscape project by Demetris Pikionis. Amazing project, questions the very notion of what a plan drawing is, and how it's translated into built form.

‘Plans and instructions are insufficient here, for the plan is not applicable as it stands, but serves only as a model representing a general idea which requires constant interpretation...what should be kept in mind is the ancient Greek motto, ‘make haste slowly'

jw468

Yes! Next, please.

Chris_Teeter

nice research threadkilla

JLC-1

1966, by a harvard alumni

Jun 22, 17 6:45 pm
threadkilla

Jun 24, 17 8:28 am
Chris_Teeter

that looks like an Ando project

Casa Malaparte, Adalberto Libera.

(I've just realized I need to figure out the previous building first.)

Oh - wait. never mind

threadkilla

Chris_Teeter - I suppose it does, especially when seen in close proximity to the Church of the Light plan

Marc Miller - well done!

threadkilla

Love that house.

Next

Jun 24, 17 9:22 am
Chris_Teeter

at first I was thinking the Aronoff Guest House by Eric Owen Moss, but I don't think that's it. http://ericowenmoss.com/project-detail/aronoff-guest-house/

jw468

Herzog and de Meuron with Ai Weiwei,
Serpentine Pavilion, 2012

jw468

Jun 24, 17 10:51 am
tintt

Lina Bo Bardi - SECS Pompeia. The corridors on the right give it away. 

I don't have a plan to post. Anyone?

Jun 24, 17 11:30 am
quondam...

hint: oceanic

Jun 24, 17 8:57 pm
jw468

Steven Holl's Taiwan ChinPaoSan Necropolis.

jw468

Next:

Jun 25, 17 2:11 pm
threadkilla

Gio Ponti, Planchart residence in Caracas, 1954

I want to say 3rd floor plan - since that drawing is not in the Aria d'Italia volume on Ponti that is on my desk, and that monograph has drawings of the basement (1st) and ground (2nd) floors

threadkilla

not strictly a plan drawing, but I felt like including the elevation and axon as hints, because most hints for this project would probably be a dead giveaway and the drawings are gorgeous

Jun 25, 17 5:04 pm
threadkilla

second hint: it's a project developed in close collaboration between an architect and an artist, both native to that region

threadkilla

third hint: The artist has said that he did not chose this place for his art, but that the place chose him.

JLC-1

el peine del viento in san sebastian

I suck at this

Jun 25, 17 11:09 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: