Archinect
anchor

Best way to make money while studying a MSc in Delft, Netherlands?

HarrisonMLang

Hoi,

I have recently accepted an offer at TU Delft to study a master's degree in Architecture this academic year. I would like to work for roughly two days a week to help offset my living expenses. What would you recommend as the best way to make money for this?

I have three routes that I'm contemplating but it would be good to have a steerso that I can focus my efforts:

1) Working for a Dutch firm. Is it fiscally worthwhile for me to be looking for architectural work in Holland in this stage of my career? I would hope so considering that I have been working professionally for almost two years now. But from what I've read, an 'Intern' salary at OMA or similar pale in comparison to what I'm getting at a practice in London. If so, should I be looking for Intern or Junior Architect positions (or both) and how much do small/large practices generally pay with my experience?

2) Working freelance. I have spoken to my current practice and a couple of other ones in London and they said they would send me remote work if they have a high workload. Although not guaranteed, perhaps I could do that combined with online freelance jobs (which generally seem to pay badly).

3) A non-architectural job. From what I understand it's hard to find normal work in Holland unless you're at least conversational in Dutch. (I've just started learning!)

Thanks for your time and any other suggestions that you might have.

Cheers

Jun 17, 17 3:40 pm
randomised

Delft has an IKEA, plenty of students work there ;)

Jun 18, 17 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

No one will hire you for 2 days a week in an office, its too annoying to keep the extra computer and workflow going.

Work at a bar! Lots of students do that. Be aware of Dutch subsidies (study subsidy, huurtoeslag, zorgtoeslag) that might be affected by your extra income.

Jun 19, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Cas Esb

stud is the local association that will help you find a job once you are there. 

Jun 19, 17 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
HarrisonMLang

Thanks for the advice.

For now, I've decided to do online freelance work - already made a reasonable amount for my time from a couple of US clients.

Jun 25, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: