Archinect
anchor

Architecture,Urbanism and Sociology Book Hunting

Iero

Hi everyone, 

I am myself not an Architect nonetheless i am currently trying to gather documents on the bond between Architecture, Ubranism and Sociology. 

The books and videos i have watched so far have all the same fault (among many): 

They tend to focus on technical aspects before presenting any global theory, they tend to rely on intellectual authorities rather than a continuous stream of explanations and examples and lastly, they do not structurate/form an organic network of principles. 

To provide an explanation as to what i mean: 

"technical aspects" would be : telling me that this house belong to this style, made by this man at this year and so on in a case where contextualization doesn't add much to the explanation (since we want to analyse how a random person react to it without knowing its history) 

"intellectual authorities" : instead of building an explanation for a certain trail of thoughts it just end up as a list of "school conflicts" , the bauhaus was a movement meant to ... and so on with a lot of quotes... 

"organic network of principles" (which i seek) : like physics rules, wide , general and defined in their limits. For example: "depending on the context reaction to a spiraling structure can differ, but generally  it tends to create either divergent or convergent movements using the center as an axis" . This can be applied to fluid dynamics, martial arts etc... 

So what i'm looking for is: Books that tries to explain in a comprehensive and organic manner how architecture, urbanism and sociology (and psychology) intertwine (and if it can link to economy and history that would be the summit).

Thanks for your attention and benevolent reading.

Jun 15, 17 5:54 pm
Non Sequitur
Seems like you need to read some koolhaas and, for extra giggles, KM3 from MVRDV.
Jun 15, 17 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Iero

Could you tell me (in how many words you deem necessary) how you understand his work? ( both emotionally/intellectually speaking) 

Jun 15, 17 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How about you do your own research?

Jun 15, 17 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Iero

I don't mind but this is meant to be additionnal information and if all i was looking for was a list of authors i would go to a library. I came to a forum because i want humans to give me informations a list can't give me. But i understand that displaying your opinion is something you're reluctant to do and i will not pry further.

Jun 16, 17 6:35 am  · 
 · 
tduds

^^ Are good, but dense.

For something more "entry level" you might appreciate Kevin Lynch or Andres Duany. For something more prescriptive than theoretical: Christopher Alexander has quite a bit to say about that.

Jun 15, 17 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm interested in seeing what recommendations you dig up. You might be thinking of cultural geography, at least the aspects of that field that deal with space and form.

Not necessarily geographers or architects, but have you read any of the following? William Cronon, David Harvey, Jared Diamond, Sigfried Gideon, Manuel DeLanda, Fernand Braudel, Reyner Banham....

Jun 15, 17 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Agreed, and to which I'd add vernacular architecture/ landscape studies, and authors such as JB Jackson, Dell Upton, Margaret Crawford and Dolores Hayden.

Jun 15, 17 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
ReddishEgret

^ Second the JB Jackson rec. Also Jane Jacobs and Anne Spirn.

Jun 18, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Iero

Evan : Yeah, a part of it : psychological geography, Cultural geography, history of symbols, history of economy, vernacular architecture, neurobiology etc... giving me the names of the related fields is a big help already. 

I would like to be capable of creating a trail of thoughs/algorithm to analyse physical (movement of populations,constructions,technological improvements) and symbolic (changes in uses and customs) dynamics that geography/architecture/Urbanism/Symbols alter through time and how it affects historical events .  Like a river tends to follow the path of low resistance which is decided by the overall topography. 

Thanks Evan/citizen/cristopher/tduds: I am not familiar with any of those writers. Do they have some free content i can look for to enlighten me or is it mostly books to buy? (i'm also willing to buy books but if i can have some previews like articles or videos you might already know of)

PS: cristopher---> why law?

Jun 16, 17 7:09 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Libraries are free. (This isn't meant to be a snide comment, seriously go skim some works at your local library to get a taste for what you might want to explore more in depth)

Jun 16, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Start with Lynch's "Image of the City and Alexanders "A Pattern Language" by Alexander.

Jun 16, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Iero

I will rely on my local library but i'm a french guy in a provincial area. So there is a high possibility that i will need a transfer for most of these authors. And if they are not available i'll need a B plan.

Jun 18, 17 5:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: