Archinect
anchor

Any Architects serving in Military or becoming an Astronaut?

Continuum

I recently watched the video of 12 new NASA astronaut candidates for 2017. They all seem like amazing people with research and experience in diverse backgrounds. There are engineers but no architects.

It got me curious. Is there anyone here, or someone you know, with a background in architecture who is serving in the military (army, navy, air force)? Or someone aspiring to become an astronaut or space architect?

Space architecture seems to be an emerging profession. But I wonder how much of this is design, as opposed to engineering.

Jun 14, 17 10:34 pm
archietechie

There are practical reasons for engineers or anyone from the STEM field to be astronauts due to depth of physics/math knowledge involved. Architects, not so much.

Space designs are grounded on safety and practicality first and foremost (fire retardant; strong and light material; equipment waterproofing), none of which are dictated by current architectural regulations or discipline of course. An architect's capacity could very well merely be for aesthetical purposes.

Simply put, engineers are innovators, architects are designers. Refer to bridge designs during the Industrial age for more proof.

That said, I'm curious as to what do graduates from SICSA do with their time: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/18778/new-ms-space-architecture-program

Jun 14, 17 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Continuum

Architecture in the practical sense indeed does seem irrelevant. In the thinking or theoretical sense, perhaps it can be a good background for something that can become relevant to space. There is much to do on Earth anyway!

Jun 15, 17 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Both the US Navy and USAF welcome architecture degree holders to their civil engineering career fields. If you only want to be a pilot all you need is an accredited degree in any subject and pass the aptitude and flight physical.

Most of the NASA Astronaut class people are not pilots at all, but different kinds of scientists and engineers. There is certainly a case for having an architect aboard something like the space station but convincing the NASA bureaucracy of that would be an uphill battle.   

Jun 15, 17 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

They would employ Architects if they wanted to know what colour it should be, make sure the curtains on the space station were properly coordinated with other elements, or assist with making a tank more in tune with latest theories on urban design.

Sorry, Architects aren't know for their mathematical or engineering skills, both of which would be required for NASA or the military. I'm sure they could teach you, but that would be another skillset.

Not to say design isn't important, but a history of architecture under your belt isn't going to get anyone to Mars.

Jun 18, 17 3:03 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

What better way to design a spacecraft for extended human habitation than to have the input of an architect who has experienced the existing space station for an extended period of time? That seems similar to saying the architect who designed the Katrina Cottage should not spend any time in her own designs to help her make improvements.

Jun 18, 17 7:16 am  · 
 · 

The opinions of some of the people on this page are surprising, did you know that there is a long history of innovators and very knowledgeable people in the space architecture domain ? You should first take a look at this page, it's a good start.

https://spacearchitect.org/

Hope some people here will learn about this great field

Feb 10, 21 4:15 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: