Archinect
anchor

Portfolio & Resume Critique

Hey guys,

I just moved to a NYC and have begun looking for a job. I graduated about 3 months ago from Polytechnic University of PR, and I've been emailing firms about employment opportunities. I've definitely learned that one has to be patient with this process and it's much tougher to get a response from the firm.

I've linked my resume and portfolio below, and I am hoping to get any critiques or comments you all may have for me about how to better sell myself. Additionally, if you all have any tips on how to approach firms , I would appreciate it. Keep in mind I am a recent graduate with around 7months of experience looking for entry / junior level employment.

Thanks.

-Eric

Portfolio : https://issuu.com/erice.garced/docs/prtfl_mk.3__issuu_

Jun 9, 17 1:09 am
the_perpetual_dreamer

good job, Eric.

I am in the same position that you are and i swear it gets very frustrating waiting for replies. I love the diagrams you use in your portfolio. I only feel there are a bit too much text in some of the slides. I think you should keep the text to absolute minimum while giving more space for your diagrams and renders. 

Best of Luck.

Jun 9, 17 2:28 am  · 
 · 
noire

Thanks!, I understand what you mean it gets to the point that it affects my self esteem as a starting architect, but one must not succumb to those detrimental thoughts. And for the texts, in some proyects I kept it to a minimum while others are more in depth because two of the proyects had research with written papers, so these are just the abstract/narrative per se. Either way thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 9, 17 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I hate the self reported software skill graph. Everyone does it and it's meaningless.
Jun 9, 17 6:25 am  · 
 · 
noire

What do you graphically prefer/ recommend then?

Jun 9, 17 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Just list the software you know without ranking your skills. Everyone thinks they are superstars after a few school semesters of use. That means little in the real world. Other than that, cut the pages by half and reduce the text.
Jun 9, 17 7:58 am  · 
 · 

Reduce by 75% and ditch the ridiculous green conceptual BS cover and graphics. 

anti-melatonin is your graphic/conceptual identity branding? I'm guessing you're an albino. Is that what you want prospective employers thinking about?

Jun 9, 17 9:52 am  · 
 · 

@Miles Jaffe, I think you are confusing "melatonin" with "melanin". The former is a sleep hormone and has nothing to do with skin color/albinism

Jun 9, 17 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Miles, that would be anti-melanin if albino. I think he's meaning he's gonna keep you awake and on your toes, which is kind of saying "hey look at me, I'm God's gift to design" but in a roundabout way so I'm kind of ok with it? Advocate for yourself yo. I don't mind the cover or graphics, maybe let everything breathe more, reduce text, and cut the length in half.

Jun 9, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 

That being said... it still doesn't make much sense and I agree that you should get rid of the cover and slim down the overall content. This is way too large of a portfolio to send to firms

Jun 9, 17 10:45 am  · 
 · 

I was so annoyed by the display that I misinterpreted it.

Jun 9, 17 10:51 am  · 
 · 
noire

Thanks for your opinions, I'll consider redesigning the cover.

Jun 9, 17 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

hey everybody! hope everything is going great

Mar 7, 18 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Welcome back, lol!

Mar 7, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: