Archinect
anchor

Not ready for MLA, but unsure of how to find out

monicarocha

Hello,

I'm an art school grad who's been out of school for about 4 years now. I'm interested in pursuing an MLA/MFA at Penn, but really do not know where to start professionally. 

I've done freelance copywriting, freelance marketing for farm, a year-long acting course, and even a landscape architecture portfolio preparation class at UC Berkeley, but short of starting to try to make it as a painter who really likes the ideas of David Harvey, Burle, and Terry Irwin, I don't know how I can gain practical experience that would reflect my experience/interest in lieu of having a degree in LA.

Any suggestions? What are some ways to inch forward in the profession without a degree? I'm open to the idea that this degree may not be for me, but I'm wondering how I can find out how.

Jun 6, 17 9:14 pm
archietechie

Try an internship but be warned, you'll have to start at the bottom of the totem pole though.

Jun 6, 17 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

You're ready for a degree now.  I can't speak to Penn specifically but at the GSD roughly half of all new admits come from non-design backgrounds.  Yes, people who haven't opened AutoCAD can get into professional design programs.  

I cant speak to the professional/non professional ratio @ Penn but I'd suspect its quite similar.  You have the art school background, which is a major plus, you can talk about art and a specific medium of it with specificity and detail, AND presumably you can write a coherent, persuasive SOP to the adcom detailing why you want to study LA @ Penn.  From there, its a matter of assembling a portfolio (marketing / copywriting work is perfectly acceptable for this, as is undergrad work), getting some good letters of recommendation, and not cratering your GRE's.    You  also have ~7 months to get this done.  

Jun 6, 17 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
ReddishEgret

I just finished my MLA at Penn. I'd be happy to talk with you or put you in touch with one of my classmates who's working on her MLA/MFA if you'd like. 

Jun 6, 17 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: