Archinect
anchor

Computer Suggestions

rhh_

My mac just died and I'm starting my masters in architecture in the fall.  Life sucks. Sigh.  Anyways just wondering if anyone has suggestions on laptops to look at.  I would prefer not to get a mac again.

Jun 6, 17 6:37 pm
Non Sequitur
Not getting a mac is the first step. The second step is using google.
Jun 6, 17 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
rhh_

I have used google.  Just getting opinions.  Thanks though for wasting your time to write a useless comment.  I'm glad I could help you waste time.

Jun 6, 17 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

you look, you buy

Jun 6, 17 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I'm not the one wasting time.
Jun 6, 17 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
rhh_

Ok. I believe you ;). I greatly appreciate your thought provoking comments.

Jun 7, 17 4:17 am  · 
 · 

PC Parts Picker

Jun 6, 17 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
grid

reddit.com/r/buildapc

Jun 7, 17 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

asus, acer.

Jun 7, 17 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
rhh_

anyone have opinions on lenovo p50 or p51

Jun 12, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Get an older macbook pro circa Steve Jobs era that has hard drives and memory not soldered to the mainboard and build yourself a decent PC desktop. You'll get both of these for cheaper than whatever current laptop may be advised.

Jun 12, 17 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Beehelp

I have lenovo from my guest-mother who worked for IMB. This laptop still has a colorful mark IBM not in such balack, but in cheerful red, green and yellow. It's a heavy thing and might be for sure obout  ten years old. It still works - I like it. Can also use it for self-defense

Jun 15, 17 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

just get a mac. these things last for ever. ALL you plebs are getting pcs because your broke AF

Jun 16, 17 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
+1 to Driko. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that still runs fine even after dumping beer on it. It's a little slow but it works as a backup. My 2012 MacBook Pro is still super fast. If you must buy a PC the Lenovo w540 is the only remotely comparable option. It costs slightly less and weighs 3x as much. The only serious consideration for an architecture studio environment is a graphics card plus RAM. The i5/i7 series processors (current standard chipsets for PC and mac) are so fast they're near interchangeable (between 2-2.7) and are not going to be the bottleneck in your workflow. You'll be pushing that thing harder during school than any office you're in later. 1GB dedicated video RAM minimum (nvidia is better but amd will work) plus min 8GB (16GB preferred) system RAM if you want to run anything remotely complicated in rhino plus have adobe open. Don't cheapen out now and waste hours every studio session waiting for things to load. Or worse get a garbage PC that crashes the night before finals. Oh yeah Apple just started offering accidental coverage with the Apple care plan which is a huge boon and you should definitely get - 3 year guarantee it lasts through the program. I believe Lenovo offers similar warranties but they have no storefronts or 'genius bar' equivalents so you'll have to mail it off for a week or so. This is a serious investment that should last you at least 5 years. You will interact with the computer almost nonstop for the next 2 or 3 years. Do your research and don't take this lightly or you will have a miserable schooling experience. If you truly cannot afford the 15" mac or cannot acquire some sort of loan/funding/scholarship build a Desktop PC from scratch with the above RAM minimums and don't waste time with a flimsy PC portable.
Jun 22, 17 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
carryhaddis

HP, Sony and Dell are great laptops just choose one that suits your budget

Jun 23, 17 4:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: