Archinect
anchor

Networking NYC Discussion

I work at a 3D architectural rendering company, and have been trying to network for a while now with just projects from onld clients keeping my company going. 

Any recommendations on how to network in NYC to find new projects or at least architectura/interior design connections?

Jun 5, 17 4:46 pm
BulgarBlogger

Most firms outsource to Europe/Asia. There are so many people like you who can do similiar quality work. Some are consistently shitty, others consitently mediocre, and others consistebtky very good. The general asumption is that 3D rendering is cheaper abroad so to try to get a firm to outsource rendering work to people in the US is a bit of a non-starter. Your fees would be much higher here...

Jun 5, 17 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Actually my firm has Admin and sales here in the US but our rendering team is in China so I think we would be a good competitor for quality service and low prices. I just need to figure out how to network... any suggestions?

Jun 6, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

No I don't. You are so easily bypassable because you yourself are not the talent behind the work. When the actual 3D renderer/modeller/production person does not interface with the client, you make decisions without their input and then changes made or deadlines proposed become harder to accomplish. Its bad to be the middle man. You ride on the talent of other people. 

Jun 6, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Actually we have found that the Architects and interior design firms almost always prefer it when the people they are talking to are in the same time zone, respond quickly, and speak English ( if we are speaking about america) They don't like working directly with the talent because the talent cannot communicate correctly in our case.

Jun 6, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

And arguing our set up isn't really helping with my initial questions here.... so please just post related information if you have it so this discussion is on track, thank you. I would appreciate networking notes if you have it.

Jun 6, 17 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Free lunch attracts designers like flies to shit.  Rent a space, or better yet use your studio if it is possible, and host a lunch with your firms images on display.  No powerpoints and annoying stuff like that.  Keep it casual.  I would send a paper mail invite to a select number of companies that you wish to connect with.  Be honest and forthcoming.  "We are a rendering firm looking to expand our network in the NYC area.  We invite you to view our studio and enjoy a delicious lunch on us catered by chef...."

Get memorable quality food.  Dont cheap out.  They will subconsciously associate the quality of the food/space with the quality of the firm.  

Jun 7, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 

Thank you! that is very helpful advice. We have actually been attempting lunch and learns at the architects firms recently, but no one seems to be responding to the offer- do you know if it is just case by case basis or that architects prefer going out to lunch? (I thought they would be so busy they would prefer in office free lunches)

Jun 7, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Goto events at the AIA Center for Architecture. Goto every single event. There is one nearly everyday. Join a committee. Just constantly meet people.Don't push your company every day, just be there, and be known. I don't always have a need for any specific service at any given time, but sometimes I do. Then I have to think about random people I know. 

Jun 9, 17 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: