Archinect
anchor

AA, Cardiff or Newcastle?

DangerZone

I have got the undergraduate offers from these schools recently and I am an international student. Though it seems that the style of AA suits me, including debates, freedom, flexibility, parametric stuff, radical suggestions, and I do want to find my strengths and be a part to change the future in related fields, there may be a big difference between imagination and reality.

Since I am from a society that contains no imagination and design, wherever I graduate, I can not design unless I work overseas in the future. I trust that the future will be led by pioneers and technology, however, is the imagination of AA frequently an obstacle in the career in the Western world? Also, if I want to work in the Europe or America, will the AA diploma be problematic?

Besides, the AA will have another director, and it is always severely criticised about the drop in academic level in this forum, also, regarding the qualification problem, will Cardiff and Newcastle be better options? Is Cardiff better than Newcastle? Thank you!

Jun 5, 17 8:06 am
Eras.H

Congratulations! 

There are quite a lot debates generally on the dramatic gap between the academic education and practices in the UK/RIBA. But I don't think AA is problematic on this. 

I am not sure how much budget you have and what is your (potential) career plan in the future. I would suggest do what you are really interested in rather than what the reality might look like since you are only in your undergraduate. You can still take a shift during your master without too many problems after AA's curriculum. It's true, AA does provide great resource, colleagues, nice faculties, and facilities. In terms of practice, since they share the same RIBA system and curriculum, you still get what you need for your future job (& lots of what you will not learn in university, which is all the same to other programs). & London is an amazing city.

On the other hand, AA is **** expensive. Am not sure about Cardiff and Newcastle.

Jun 7, 17 8:45 am  · 
 · 
DangerZone

Thank you Eras.!

Indeed, the information I've got by far shows that AA is what I want. Honestly, the cost of AA is not expensive for international students at all, since it is very similar to those of Ncl and Cardiff. Instead, the expenditure in London is considerably terrible. Also, whether I will be able to insist on the path of architecture is also a concern, regarding the certificate of AA.

Jun 12, 17 8:15 am  · 
 · 
WonderingFood

HI there Danger zone,  

Congratulations on all the offers. I can't provide you with any sorts of constructive advice, but I am happy to come across another AA applicant. I was there for the interview and I would have to agree with you on the insane cost of living in London. 

We might see each other in the future

Jun 26, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

AA is a private school. Therefore gains little respect.

Jun 27, 17 12:08 am  · 
 · 
nabrU

unless you’re above the obvious and the bullshit.

Jun 27, 17 12:15 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Not to mention admissions are pretty easy too bec ause #money

Jun 27, 17 3:41 am  · 
 · 
TED

Choose Newcastle or Queens Belfast.  Cardiff agenda is strongly sustainable - I just like the cities of Newcastle and Belfast over Cardiff but is a very good school. 

Once one gets settled in London, it is not 'expensive' for a student (tube pass 1/3rd discount, bike.....) 

Jun 27, 17 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
martindedioszapata

Hello, I received offers from Cardiff, Newcastle and Manchester. Which one would you recommend selecting for a firm choice for an undergraduate programme? I'm very nervous and unsure about it.

Mar 29, 21 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

Cardiff is a better school.

Mar 30, 21 2:28 am  · 
 · 
nabrU

Jun 28, 17 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: