Archinect
anchor

Civil Engineer who wish to become an architect

faletherra

Hi i am currently 35 years old and is browsing through my options as either to become an interior designer / architect.

I was a civil engineer for about 5 years before i switched career to become an educator. I had deal with projects on underground tunneling and concrete casting when i was a civil engineer. In 2015, i was qualified as a school teacher to teach design and technology but i find the school's environment rather toxic.

I am researching on various career options such as architect. I have looked through schools in Europe - Education in UK was really expensive, German was affordable but i do not know their languages and it will take be some time to master it. There was some schools in Lithuania who is still affordable but offer 5 years M.arch course..

(i)I am not sure if by taking up the 5 years M.arch course in Lithuania will be good for employ-ability ? I will be in my 40s and need to repay school loans.

(ii)I could like to find out if there are other schools out there who offer an  affordable but relatively good Bachelor Degree course on Arch.

(iii) I was contemplating on taking a master in architecture but i am not sure if i can enjoy the M.arch with my civil engineering background? Can i still do some designing with civil engineering degree + M.arch?

(iv) I am actually interested in becoming a developer too.

Jun 5, 17 3:53 am
Volunteer

There are plenty of civil engineers in the US that design and build homes and have their own firms. If anything, you might benefit from a course or two in architectural history from a professor without a stylistic ax to grind. Basically you need a job with another CE who is already pursuing your goals. Your CE degree would be very valuable in tying together the hardscaping elements of landscaping your projects as well. Apologies in advance as I do not know what roadblocks RIBA can throw up in your path.

Jun 5, 17 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

I cannot quote any but would expect there are European countries where the course language will be English, so suggest looking around.

Jun 5, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Work as a Structural Engineer and work with architects, or go work for an architecture firm, your degree will get you a job- rather than having to go back to expensive school.

And your Civil Engineering degree will qualify you to working at any large contractor or development firm as a project engineer/ manager.

You could also do a 1 year Masters in Construction Management or Real Estate development, Architecture is a long and tough field- I would recommend one of the above paths to work in the AEC industry but with better life and income.

Most architects do not get do do design work anyway and spend most of our time detailing and managing the construction process. 

Jun 5, 17 10:51 am  · 
 · 
faletherra

I have not been in the civil engineer industry for about 7 years. I think it is rather difficult to re-enter into the industry and i am based in a small Asian country.. where opportunities are not plentiful as a civil engineer.

On the other hand, i want to venture more into designing, which is why i am searching for an architect degree that is affordable and would allow me to able to graduate within three years. I wonder will i suffer from age discrimination? 

I am also thinking about master on construction management and real estate development. I was wondering it is possible to be developer with little capital?

Jun 5, 17 11:38 am  · 
 · 

Regarding age discrimination, I would say it is possible. Principals of firms might wonder how you'll take directions from a potentially younger or same age Project Architect/Manager.

Jun 5, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If you go to an architecture school you will be about 40 when you finish and will be competing for entry-level architecture jobs and entry-level salaries with 22 year olds while being on the hook for substantial student loans most likely. You will never be able to pay off those student loans in time to make any significant progress toward funding a retirement program. Jobs as a civil engineer are hard to come by in your country but architecture jobs aren't? That seems very unlikely.

Jun 5, 17 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chuck71

An alternate strategy is reinvent yourself as an Architect, without doing boring courses or attaining any level of technical capability in the field.

You could even get an OBE for your (lack of trouble), and then gain access to muli-million dollar projects that pay hefty fees for all you fail to manage them in any way, leaving your client facing significant risks.

But enough about my boss...

Jun 12, 17 8:44 am  · 
 · 
ankushverma

am a civil engineer age 25, am interested in becoming an architect rather than a civil engineer. Should i pursue my career as a civil engineer or change my field please guide me....

Jan 6, 19 2:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: