Archinect
anchor

What do you think are some important skills for an aspiring architect to have?

accesskb

In order of importance, what do you think are some of the most important skills for an aspiring architect to master?   building codes, structure, detailing, conceptual, software, writing etc etc?

May 29, 17 6:36 pm
archietechie

Glad you limited this discussion to technical skills instead of soft and personality ones. God knows how many in my generation would fail in that department.

Detailing - No one likes it, no one wants to do it, yet it's the most important skill to have for aspiring/matured architects alike.

I'd throw in algorithmic thinking for good measure seeing as how we're on the ground floor of automation.

May 29, 17 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

wait, I like detailing..

Jun 1, 17 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

I would say being able to conceptualize and bringing the idea to life is very important. It is what separates architects & designers from engineers. Anyone can design a box, but not everyone can design a great building.

May 30, 17 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

visualizing, construction, communications (reading, writing, listening and speaking), negotiations, drawing (especially sketching), problem solving and flexibility of mind (seeing things more than one way). And prioritizing/strategizing. 

May 30, 17 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Execute on your design ideas!

Creating a great design is the relatively easy part. Executing the design in the field all the while having to negotiate, approving authorities, budgets, consultants, client changes, construction realities, building codes, personality conflicts, schedules and the thousands of decisions that have to be made that have a tendency to breakdown your ability to stay true to your design concept. 

It's a lot harder than you think and if you think you can bully people into seeing things your way your wrong. It's takes a lot of skill, confidence and a deft hand to win everyone over and yes even compromise.

May 31, 17 12:52 am  · 
 · 

A good nose. 

May 31, 17 1:18 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Good to see read some of the comments.  I think most of us already have an idea of the general traits (or as architechie mentioned' 'soft and personality ones') that an architect should have.. (ie: excellent communicator, visualizer, speaker, writer, problem solver, sketcher etc etc)  Those are what we understand architects to have right from the first year of architecture school.  I would like to hear about more specific, measureable skills.. (like learning how to write specs, detail a whole building, calculate structural forces, understand building codes inside out etc in order of importance if one were to go about studying them)

I think soft and personality skills are nice to have but they're subjective and ain't going to save one's job if other skills are missing.  Sure you could probably make it up to management level with communication skills but I've seen way too many in firms who would fail when it comes to actually building anything.

May 31, 17 3:29 am  · 
 · 

There are so many different skills required that the best one can do is recognize the ones that you aren't good at and make sure that those responsibilities are adequately covered. Creative, technical, administrative, promotional, legal, etc., the better you are at one the worse you are at another. It's a matter of balance. Smart firms recognize this and utilize people accordingly. 

Jun 1, 17 12:08 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

nice there is an 'ignore' button in the forums

Jun 1, 17 1:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: