Archinect
anchor

Is this a good Laptop Specification for a 5-Years Archi Course?

Dayve

Please pardon me. I am extremely noob when it comes to Laptop specifications. But below is roughly what I am looking for. Is that gonna help with the course? 

ASUS ROG (no idea which model too, but definitely a ASUS ROG):

- With i7-6800 / 77xx and ABOVE.

- 32GB Ram (the more the better).

- With SSD (C-Drive is in SSD).

- Graphic card Nvidia 1080.

- Screen size between 15 and 17 inches.

- Good cooling system (?)

Is the above good enough to handle ALL aspect of Rendering, Drafting, Production etc of heavy duty work from Architecture School? (Includes softwares like SketchUp, Revit, AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, 3D Max, Vray for ALL, Adobe Suite etc)... Will be using it as a workstation. Heavy Duty portable Workstation.

Will this be good enough?

May 21, 17 9:35 am
Non Sequitur
Maybe. You'll certainly need to know cooling since that GPU will burn hot. Probably overkill for sketch up.
May 21, 17 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Not only sketchup. But ALL the above listed.

May 21, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Also, doubtful to expect any laptop to last more than 3years. Probably best to buy a tower pc (same specs as above but half the cost) and carry a cheaper laptop for light work.
May 21, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Dozban

Also i need an advice about it, i have to choose one that can support me for 5 years of architecture education. My budget is 1000 euro and something.

May 21, 17 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^wont happen.
May 21, 17 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dayve

Okay, I had decided on getting an ASUS ROG G752VS. Almost 99.9% confirmed. But will the ASUS ROG G752VS be a good laptop to work on renderings, heavy duty draftings etc? :D

May 22, 17 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Maybe. Do you even know how to use those softwares?
May 22, 17 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Does that concerns you? Or does that even remotely relates to my original question? Please kindly do not side track this thread and keep it to the topic. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Have a nice day ahead. :)

May 22, 17 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Anyway, the ASUS ROG G752VS which I am considering is running on Windows 10 Home, with a specification of the following:

Processor: Intel® Core ™ i7-7700HQ (6M Cache, 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz)

Chipset: Mobile Intel® CM238 Express Chipset

Memory: 16GB (8GB * 2) DDR4 2133MHz

Screen: 17.3 "LED Backlit / Slim / 300nits / Full HD (1920x1080 / 16: 9) / Anti-Glare / NTSC: 72% / IPS

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX1070

Storage: 256GB SSD M.2 PCIEG3x4 
1TB 7200rpm SATA

Optical Unit: DVD 8X Supermulti, Double Layer [SATA]

Card Reader: SD / MMC

Camera: HD (720p)

Wireless network: 802.11ac (Dual band) 
Bluetooth: 4.1 
Network: 10/100/1000 Mbps

Interface4 x USB 3.0 
1 x USB-C 3.1 (Gen 2) with Thunderbolt 
1 x Headphone Output (S / PDIF) 
1 x Headphone Output 
1 x Microphone Input 
1 x RJ45 LAN connector 
1 x HDMI 
1 x mini DisplayPort 
1 x Power Input

Audio: Built-in Stereo Speaker Microphone 
Built-in Array 
Built-in 
Majestic Sound subwoofer

Battery: 96Wh, 8 Cells, Lithium Ion

Power Adapter: 230W AC adapter; Output: 19.5V DC, 11.8A; Input: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50 / 60Hz universal

Dimensions: 416 x 322 x 20 ~ 49 mm

Weight: 4.3 kg (with 8 cell battery)

May 22, 17 8:50 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

he's trying to engage you in a conversation to learn more about you.  that's a good use of forum space isn't it?  we could be so much more than limiting ourselves to 'give me what i want.'

i'm getting too old to pay attention to computer questions anymore.  hopefully a new generation will come along that is as cynical as me.

May 22, 17 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Thanks for ur positive feedback :D

May 22, 17 10:07 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Looks perfect to me.
May 22, 17 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Thanks for the comment! Will actually do more in-depth research again, just to make sure everything is what I need . :D

May 22, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Dayve, the reason why I asked if you knew how to use the software is important since hardware is only one factor to consider. Plenty of people waste loads of money on fancy machines without even knowing what parts to do what. One can still do great work with a medium gaming rig at likely half the cost, especially at the start of the degree.

With that said. Pay for windows 10 pro. No question, home comes with plenty of nonsewuical baggage. Also, upgrade to 32ram now if you can afford it. It is likely that laptop only has two slots, so in less than 2 years, you'll need to ditch the 2 8g for 2 16g.

Also, a 256g solid state is bare bones minimum if you plan on running the entire auto desk suite, plus adobe, plus maya, plus rhino, plus etc. Look into a 512g so that you can install all the above and still have room for the OS. Get a 2T external for weekly, daily backups.

That gpu will generate loads of heat so an external cooling platform is a must if you plan on doing long work sessions.
May 22, 17 11:08 am  · 
 · 

I bought a new laptop my first year and found it to be pretty outdated by time fifth year rolled around. Might want to plan on having to replace at some point as well. 

May 22, 17 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: