Archinect
anchor

The definition of 1&1/2 storey dwelling in the uk

Aelderfield

Dear All, I am trying to find an official definition of what constitutes a 1&1/2 storey. I have a condition on an outline consent,that stipulates that the dwelling must be a maximum of 1&1/2 storeys. My understanding is that 1&1/2 storey is where the eves run through the 1st floor window and that the 1st floor walls can be a max height of 150cm,thus necessitate the need for dormers. Any pointers to where I can obtain an official definition that I can show the planning officer,would be most appreciated many thanks 

May 20, 17 12:14 pm
Chuck71

I think you have it right and 1500mm high at the walls at the lowest point would meet the definition.

I think the important point with planning officers is not trying to take advantage of any possible misinterpretations. I had a developer on a neighbouring property try and argue that the block of flats we live in was 3 storey, when it was 2-storey with an attic space well up inside the roof for the upstairs apartment, with the dormers set back some distances so reducing overlooking.

That was among the grounds for my objection to the planning submission...

May 22, 17 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: