Archinect
anchor

Can't read file header?

DomokosVoros

I've recovered some psd files using the software GetDataBack after a system reload. About 50% of the photos open fine, but the rest of them when attempting to open give the error "Can't read file header! Unknown file format or file not found"

My question is; is there any software or tool available that can open corrupted image files? Is there any way to restore these files?

Thanks!

May 19, 17 12:50 pm
DomokosVoros

Guys, what can you recommend? how to be?

May 22, 17 9:58 am
Non Sequitur
Be is how you are.
May 22, 17 11:18 am
thorvald

I am afraid the prognosis is not good, given your prior recovery, but here's some thoughts for you...

* For the following items, always work on COPIES, not on your originals *

First of all, try photo recovery software... take a look at Photoshop Recovery Toolbox (how to open recovery photoshop .psd files you can find here https://www.oemailrecovery.com/photoshop_recovery.html ), PixRecovery  and PhotoRescue (for both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X). Each of these can deal with corrupted graphics files, and help repair the damaged files. I've had my best success with Photoshop Recovery Toolbox, although sometimes images can be fixed in one of these and not the other. Typically these come with trial versions which will let you know if you will be able to recover any images.

May 22, 17 12:47 pm
thorvald

You might also try opening the file (even if it comes up black) and re-saving it in tif format. Save it as-is as soon as you open, then exit Photoshop and then re-open the new .tif file. You can also try rotating and saving, etc. Make sure you don't save over your original.

Last, some times the file can be opened in a text editor or a Hex editor, and the data stream altered slightly, allowing them to be opened with a graphics program. However, if there is a lot of information missing from the files, it is impossible to fully recover the files.

Then, open your corrupt file, and look through the file. You're looking for a place where there's an obvious change to the flow of the data. If you can spot it, you might be able to fix it - at least if the damage is obvious, like a erroneous character or blank line introduced into the file.

Not to nag or say "I told you so", but ALWAYS have a backup plan and use it - recovering one lost file, like this, can make it worthwhile.

Hope that helps!) 

May 22, 17 12:49 pm
DomokosVoros

Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved. I'm appreciative for your responses and help. 

May 22, 17 2:37 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: