Archinect
anchor

Need some help on NYC building codes regarding common roof acccess in pre-war Co-op building

ovalle

My co-op building in Brooklyn, NY wants to create a common roof deck area on our roof, but it will only be accessible via a common stairway (no elevator in building). Is there any NYC or state code in place right now, that prevents from doing so without an ADA access?

Additionally, I was told that this type of roof are defined as zero place of assembly (weight allowance 30lbs/foot).  Can anybody direct me to the right code (link?) so that I can understand if this indeed applies to it.

Thanks in advance!

May 16, 17 12:18 am
Non Sequitur
How about you hire an architect instead of asking for free professional advice.
May 16, 17 6:15 am  · 
 · 
ovalle

Sorry about that, you are right. Didn't mean to solicit free pro help. Our co-op board did hire an Architect, and that is what he told us above, but for some reason we can't get that info in writing from him. Just wanted to double check myself if that was the case, but haven't been successful in my search. Anyways, thanks for your reply.

May 16, 17 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why are you second-guessing the professional you hired?

May 16, 17 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If the architect isn't confident enough in his work to sign his name to his evaluation get your money back and hire a professional structural engineer.

May 16, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: