Archinect
anchor

How is such presentation drawing/art created?

Dayve

Anyone knows how are all these "Line-Art" style of rendering are created? What is the steps to achieve this looks? Including the plain, flat and white Trees and Human Figures...

It has been troubling me for YEARS how do Architecture student do it!

These are the 5 images that I need to know roughly how it is created - I need a rough idea of how it's done. It doesn't have to be a clear explanation. Just rough run through will do... Like what softwares, the sequence of processing the work from 1 software to another etc...

1) 

2) 

3)

4) 

5)

May 13, 17 9:21 am
ArchNyen

Revit

May 13, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

LOL. Just revit? Does Revit render?

May 13, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 
N.TW

You have a lot of options of how to do something like that. If I was going to do a project like the above, in general I would expect to model in a 3d software, export high quality  .png or .jpg files from the software (I would actually avoid doing any time consuming "rendering"), and then set up some photoshop files for final touch up. I would make sure to set up views in the model that are "locked" so it's easy to update the photoshop files as needed. It's not usually a totally linear process for me--I think it's valuable to set up the photoshop files early on to keep your mind on the big picture/end result. The final steps are to export flattened images from photoshop and review them on a few different screens or print media. By the way, if you are printing these you will want to set up the initial views at the correct resolution for printing. Also if printing I recommend doing test prints early on. 

I use revit about 50 hours a week at my job and in my experience it would be a bit cumbersome to achieve this with revit alone. It could be done but I think using photoshop would give much more control over the final results. 

You could also consider the following software for modeling:

Rhino

Sketch up

Blender

Lastly I would say this is just one workflow that I've developed over time. But there are unlimited ways to get these results. 

May 13, 17 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

yhea, I would use sketchup and photoshop

May 16, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Straight out of Revit's linework from 3D display.

Second the above comment suggesting other programs but it'll take a longer time to achieve this look.

May 14, 17 3:27 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Okay. Right now I have ZERO IDEA how did they get those White/Plain Trees and Human Figures in the model like this:

Do you guys know? How do I get all these humans / trees which is entirely white in Sketchup.

May 14, 17 8:15 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

It's entourage from Revit's library.

May 14, 17 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

I mean on Sketchup. Is there such effect?

May 14, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

I mean on Sketchup. Is there such effect?

May 14, 17 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Well, I am learning Sketchup...

I am trying to replicate the EXACT same effect of the images I posted above, via Sketchup Pro 2016, PS and AI. Yet I am extremely stuck. 

SPECIFICALLY at how did he achieve that WHITE/PLAIN Trees and Human Silhouette. I want to know how did he put that in from Sketchup and export it 2D to such effect for the trees and Humans.

Because I tried using PHOTOSHOP to do up the tree but it will take quite a long time, considering I have to make sure it seats correctly and accurately between the buildings etc. 

So back to the same question... How do I export a sketchup model together with the White Trees and Human Silhouette as such?

May 14, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

That is extremely easy to do in Sketchup. Just use 2D silhouette entourage and change the material to opaque or translucent white. That's it.

May 15, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

or go into your style's menu, and change your style and line type or edge type

May 16, 17 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
ckchiu

sketchup - build your own 3d model, insert trees from 3d warehouse, set view to isometric, export->2d graphic->dwg (autocad format where you can edit)

rhino - build your own 3d model, set view to isometric, type command "make2d", go to plan view and export as dwg

suggest you do no.3 in revit as it has structural components inside which u can easily find in revit. set an appropriate view then again export as dwg so you can edit the lineweight or what not.

May 14, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Sketchup wise I think u meant export>3d graphic? I tried 2D Graphic and ALL the measurements are completely wrong on Autocad. Whereas it was accurate after I export as 3D Graphic to DWG... :O

May 15, 17 8:52 am  · 
 · 
ckchiu

i usually work with export->2d graphic->dwg, it can convert any scene in my model into 2d line drawing which i will further edit in autoCAD, then export pdf to edit in Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop to create graphic like you posted above. there is not export 3d graphic, only export->3d model, which if you choose to save as .dwg it will literally become 3D when you open in autoCAD and NOT favourable to create 2D line drawings u posted above. hope this helps!

May 15, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Dayve

I tried export 2d graphic and DWG again. AGAIN, the lines are not accurate. a 3metre by 3metre by 3 metre cube became 2.46metre x 2.46metre x2.46metre... Why is that so? :(

May 15, 17 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Dayve

Add-on: I did set my sketchUp as Parallel-View then Standard then Iso view. Just that whenever I export it as 2D Graphic>DWG it will NOT be to-scale / accurate on Autocad. Whereas when I export it to 3D Model, it will be to-scale, BUT not the illustration-effect Iso I wanted above... Please help! :(

May 15, 17 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
ckchiu

check the export option in sketchup when u click export 2d-> dwg, i am pretty sure "export 3d model" is not correct for the graphic u are trying to create (but if it somehow works for you it's fine). actually why don't you scale up the whole line drawing you exported from sketchup in autocad with a little math? just calculate the scale factor u need to scale from 2.46m to 3m. anyway one note is *i think* axo diagram is quite difficult to adjust scale (i use rhino for 3d modelling), at school if i am making a graphic like exploded axon i will just choose a paper size which i'm going to plot (like a0/a1) then make sure the graphic fits within the paper size, scale doesn't matter in this case i guess.

May 16, 17 5:19 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

hmm... Okay! Anyway, I see SU can only suppoty Top, Right, Left and ISO etc. But how do I find Axo and Oblique view? :D

May 16, 17 9:25 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Go learn Revit kid, stop playing with sketchup. And dot laugh at what mr. Revit is capable of, he has feelings too you know.

May 14, 17 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Revit is not a design tool.

May 15, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

it is if your decent at it.

May 15, 17 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Dayve

Right now,

I tried exporting my Sketchup TO-SCALE 3m x 3m x 3m (With height of 3m too) Cube model to 2d Graphic then DWG. BUT it turns out that It is not to scale! I checked the unit settings and all on BOTH AutoCAD and SU. None of it worked. Why is this so? How can I troubleshoot this?

I tried exporting as 3D Model then DWG and the scale turns out accurate on AutoCAD though!

Someone please help... How can I make it to-scale to export as 2D Graphic then DWG... :(

May 15, 17 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Really? This not hard.
Export to whatever, clay render with hidden line overlay + photoshop. You could also send to illustrator via EPS file, but that's more difficult and will not preserve shadows of transparencies.

Or model in revit.
May 15, 17 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Dayve

I already said I am using SketchUp. No more revit please! Thank u!

Add-on: I did set my sketchUp as Parallel-View then Standard then Iso view. Just that whenever I export it as 2D Graphic>DWG it will NOT be to-scale / accurate on Autocad. Whereas when I export it to 3D Model, it will be to-scale, BUT not the illustration-effect Iso I wanted above...

Please help! :(

May 15, 17 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

it would be easier to just model it in Revit

May 15, 17 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Probably could have redone it in revit in the same time you've been looking for answers online.

Have you tried a 3D export to DXF and then scale an axis view in autocad layout?
May 15, 17 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
N.TW

The subject of axonometric projections and scale can be tricky...

I'm not an expert with Sketchup, but I'm skeptical that it is capable of drawing a projection of the model wherein all 3 axes are "to scale." If you really need that kind of capability you might need to look at a different software package. Or you might ask yourself if you really need it to be accurate in 3 dimensions. I mean what is your goal here? Look at the original drawings you posted--is every line "to scale" in those images?

If you could post an image of your issue (just use snipping tool) it would help us answer the question.

May 15, 17 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

rhino model (or import from sketchup)

set view (parallel projection)

make 2d then export to illustrator

add trees and people etc fix all lineweights/colors

export as jpg

this method always gives the most control

May 16, 17 4:06 am  · 
 · 
Amemobird

You need Adobe illustrator. 

1. Make 3d model on SU then make it 2d to cad.dwg .
  2. Open the 2d model in Adobe illustractor. 
  3. select all the line and enter"crtl+alt+X" .  Then you can paint it as you want.​
May 16, 17 4:31 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

Anyway, I realise under the view there is only Top, Left, Right, Bottom etc. and also Iso. But I can't seems to find Axo / Oblique and other types of view. How do I find it? Especially Oblique... :(

May 16, 17 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
"Top" view? Damn sketch up is dumb. It's called a plan.
May 16, 17 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

That's unnecessary :)

May 16, 17 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
gual

Drawings like these usually involve a lot of fixes in CAD or Illustrator. I don't think it's typical to just pop them out of your 3D modelling software (mind you I don't know much about Revit... Maybe Revit would help).

If you're just trying to get the point across and it's for school, I'd look into the toon material for V-Ray. If you really want all the entourage you may have to draw a lot of it in manually in AutoCAD once you've obtained the base axo from whatever program you're using to make the 3d model. Then you do the colouring in Photoshop or Illustrator. Photoshop is probably faster if you're trying to pump out a bunch of these.

May 16, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
zy11kair's comment has been hidden
zy11kair

You can use Modelo to do that, plans view/axon view 

for example:

https://app.modelo.io/share-token/EmgbrP_tlj

you can sign up a free account with them.

May 16, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
zy11kair's comment has been hidden
zy11kair

May 16, 17 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
James Cargill

Do NOT listen to these fools tell you about Revit axons. 

The only correct way to do this is with a 306090 triangle and several lead pointers on a mayline.

May 19, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No it's not and kids today don't know what a triangle is or a mayline.

May 19, 17 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
James Cargill

Yeah well if I hear one more student blame their drawing quality on a Make2D error, I am going to require maylines only

May 19, 17 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Wrong. Ink on vellum is the only correct way. Back in the day, when Friedrich St. Florian was running architecture at RISD, mural-sized ink on vellum isometric drawings were required for presentation.

May 19, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Just do a simple google search for "how to do an exploded axon in revit".

May 19, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: