Archinect
anchor

Architecture you really remember

shellarchitect

Talked to a friend the other day about projects that that really made an impact.  Thought I'd share mine and hopefully see some others....

• Michigan Central Station
  • Dequindre Cut
  • Hancock Building
  • Guardian Building
  • Seattle City Hall

​Most of these are probably on someone's list of "best projects" but I've left off a lot of really good projects that are more forgettable to me personally.

May 12, 17 1:20 pm
Non Sequitur

Good discussion subject. My top 5.

• Sagrada Familia - Antoni Gaudi
  • Sagrada Familia - Dito
  • Habitat 67 - Moshe Safdie
  • Portugal Pavilion @ Lisbon World Fair - Alvaro Siza
  • Grenoble Opera House - Jean Nouvel
May 12, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Really want to see Sagrada familia

May 12, 17 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

What do you like about habitat 67?

May 12, 17 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Going by buildings I've experienced in person:

- Steven Holl's Hamsunsenteret

- Eero Saarinen's North Christian Church

- I.M. Pei's Bartholomew County Library

- Louis Kahn's Kimball Museum

- Snohetta's Oslo Opera House

- Sverre Fehn's Hedmarksmuseet

Well hell, that's Columbus and Norway mainly. I'm predictable as hell.

May 12, 17 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

- 4294 Brentwood Circle, Concord, CA

First house I remember living in, from age 3-5.  Tract house, nice layout, and I recall being able to understand the floor plan-- and connect it in my mind to the actual rooms-- once my mom explained it to me.  Set me on a path, as it turned out...

May 12, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

House I grew up in. Only one shower and only accessed by going through the master bedroom. Stupid. Probably the reason I first thought I should be an architect, so that that never happens again. I can do better. 

Old bus barn owned by an engineer/builder I worked for. It was in ruins with a partially collapsed roof and salvaged materials and equipment everywhere, like on hoarders the show or like an apocolypse. He used it to store old prints there and I used to go over there to look for the drawings and visit the pigeons that lived there.

Chicago - all of it. 

Grain elevators. Tall buildings in rural areas are exciting. 

May 12, 17 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Oh ya, my dad designed and built the house I grew up in, spent most of my life thinking of improvements

May 12, 17 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: