Archinect
anchor

Types of Clients | Types of Architects | Can you name them all!?

BusinessPlan

I'm thinking of starting a practice. But before I do I might want to spend one last round working for another architect. But what kind of architect should I be and what kind of architect should I work for? It's going to shape the type of practice I start. By that I mean what kinds of architects are there and what kinds of clients are there.

I have a rough group of four, but I'm sure I'm wrong or this can be added to, so I'm looking for the help of you internet geniuses out there to contribute. If we can compile a good list I'm sure it will help us all in thinking about what it means to work professionally and where we all want to go in the future:

Here's my list so far:

Government Architect: Gets commissions by responding to RFP's through govt sites. Does some larger work, also does a lot of smaller reconstruction work for existing building stock of govt. If you are a minority or woman this is a good place to be since there are advantages in gaining work.

Developer Architects: Architects who do mostly hotel or residential projects for developers. The work is of a decent quality, but will not be civic or aspirational

Academic Architect: Teaches on the side as a way to gain access to various clients and develop a cache and spread it to their students to influence the design world. Smaller offices that are generally poorly managed with short term staff made up of students. The start academic firms can get very aspirational projects, civic, institutions, etc. often associated with other academic institutions

Interiors/Retail Architects: Do a lot of retail or cafe design, occasionally a residential project. They rely on informal networks of restaurant owners and often do experimental or playful design work. Very trend focused.

What am I missing? Do we want to provide examples of each? There must be more I'm missing. 

May 12, 17 11:53 am
proto

you are going to get work based on two things:

1) your experience thus far (what you can prove you can do)

2) who you know & what projects they can give you

start meeting people & maintaining relationships in the spheres of work that interest you

May 12, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Types of Residential Clients

Crying Poor: "Oh, we absolutely love it but can't afford it. Can you give it to us for cost?"

Low-Low Bidder: Uses the lowest bid to negotiate other bids lower.

Ceaseless Demander: Never, ever, satisfied, which is of course reflected when it comes time to collect the fee.

Pirate (a.k.a. The Developer): Cuts your throat on principle.

Money Knows Best: The smartest guy always has the most.

Pillow Talker: "Our next project ..."

Publisher: "You're going to be famous ..."

May 12, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

How about the client that responds to emails within an hour when its about their project, but then takes 4-10 weeks to get back about an unpaid balance?

May 12, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

The MeMe. Variation: The Screaming MeMe.

May 12, 17 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

inferior decorator: "this column's location clashed with my fabric patterns so I just deleted it."

May 12, 17 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Types of Architects

Admin: Recites code by section and paragraph. Spends most of his time reading and consulting with lawyers.

The Bean Counter: Calculates business decisions to the nearest penny. Strings interns along for years with a promise of salary and benefits "as soon as things pick up".

Shake and Bake (a.k.a. Copy and Paste): Resells old designs as new work.

The Dreamer: Prolific designer and modeler of fantasy projects that never get built.

The Artist: Produces superior work with professional principles and ethics while living a life of destitution and near-starvation.

Promoter: Focuses on award entries, press releases, magazine submissions, social networking, etc., made all the more difficult because of the paucity of actual work produced.

Trustafarian: Maintains a practice based on a spouse's wealth or an inheritance, and the associated social connections.

Golden Child: The son/daughter/nephew/niece of a wealthy family given a major commission straight out of school, and who never produces another piece of work.

May 12, 17 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Mayur Naik

Brilliant catch. 

Mar 10, 20 5:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: