Archinect
anchor

FLW Petra Island house for sale

Volunteer

It is at 'petraisland.net'. The owner's architect made some slight changes to account for building code changes and to improve the cantilevered balcony strength so the FLW Foundation will only let the owner say it was 'inspired' by FLW.

May 12, 17 7:42 am
Non Sequitur
I think I've seen this a while back on one of those dumb house hunting type shows but for corporate retreats.
May 12, 17 7:48 am  · 
 · 

The reason it is considered "Wright inspired" is because the original design never got past schematic sketches during Wright's lifetime. Also, take a close look at that hideous stone work. What was supposed to be desert masonry looks like a bad skin condition with thin stone veneer pox stuck on concrete. This project is nothing close to a true Wright design.

May 12, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The rough stone work is a hallmark of many Wright designs. There several detailed drawings, certainly not schematics, that Wright completed for the house. Wright originally designed a separate small cottage which was built on the island in the early 50s.

May 12, 17 2:51 pm  · 
1  · 

You will notice that the desert masonry for the cottage is done correctly, where the stone veneer pox of the hideous fake Wright almost inspired house looks embarrassingly terrible.

May 15, 17 4:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

This may give you a clue.

May 15, 17 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
chigurh

little known fact - frank lloyd wright invented post-modernism with this confetti stone veneer.  Tectonics?  Expression of materials?  No - just stick some random stones in a sea of mortar then finish with stucco in between.  He should have painted the stucco pink.    

May 15, 17 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Well known fact..his desert masonry was not a veneer, the large rocks were set in the concrete forms with the flat side visible and nearly flush to the face of concrete. Nothing "stuck on", no stucco in between.

May 15, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You apparently did not notice the large rock protruding from the concrete wall along with smaller stones set flush in the concrete wall? It's to the left in the photo, above the bench on the patio.

May 15, 17 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Another photo of the guest house finished in 1951. Rock is still attached to wall.

May 15, 17 6:39 pm  · 
1  · 

One feature protruding rock, fine perhaps..sticking thin rocks all over trying to mimic Wright's desert masonry...looks horrible. The low wall on the cottage is beautiful though.

May 15, 17 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You might want to download the photo and take a good look at the rocks protruding from the walls, especially on the column holding up the cantilever deck. Flush rocks don't normally leave shadows.

May 15, 17 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Again...that is terrible. Can't you see the difference? There are many problems with this project that remove it from being considered a Wright building. Too many assumptions and terrible decisions were made that separate this thing from a true Wright building. Call it Wright inspired..that's as close as it gets.

May 15, 17 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

No, I think it is a wonderful home. Wish I could afford it. The owner, his architect, and builder are all FLW fans and amassed quite a library and traveled extensively to visit Wright homes before beginning construction. The owner was financially well off. They spent five years building the home so I doubt any detail was done haphazardly or on the cheap. As for the non-flush mortar joints, many industry groups recommend against the flush joints as the mortar is not compressed and the flush joints are more subject to water leakage and freezing.  I guess you would prefer this?:

May 15, 17 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: