Archinect
anchor

Online architecture store - ethical or not?

ernestdamines

Hi fellow architects!

I plan to market my designs via website or social media with a price tag. Is it ethical/professional?

For example, i might post a perspective on Facebook with a caption:

"4 bed, 5 bath, 2 parking. Own this house for $200,000 - all in!"

Basically, i want to make a 'product' version of architecture for convenience. They don't have to make those excruciating phone calls asking for initial designs and quotes, and they get to see the design and know the price up-front just like an online store.

What do you guys think, professional/ethical? or not? Some countries code  of ethics may vary from another, but what is the acceptable norm?

May 11, 17 1:55 am
Non Sequitur
Who cares about ethics, what you're suggesting is already available through the thousands of stock plan websites.

The difference here is you're listing the construction cost. How do you even know what things cost? Are you taking $200k in sales and turning over permit docs and also acting as general contractor?

People with money for custom houses will have no issues with "excuciating" calls. Certainly feels like you've never actually worked in this profession.
May 11, 17 6:23 am  · 
 · 
ernestdamines

I've been aware that stock plan websites have been around for ages, but i really don't know how architects feel about this.

And i agree, that people who can afford custom houses wont feel anxious, i guess what i mean is - people can now have the convenience of buying designs "off the shelf" and know the price up front.

Thanks!

May 11, 17 7:33 am  · 
 · 
tduds

As a concept, I think stock plans could be good. The main problem is that they're almost universally shitty designs.

Same goes for pre-fab.

May 11, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
I'm starting a website where people can buy architects.
May 11, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Who in their right mind would want one?

May 11, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a fantasy league might work.

May 11, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

kindling.

May 11, 17 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

vado retro gets drafted by Milwaukee Grunts in 86th draft round, 3108400 overall pick. Congrats you are moving to fucking Milwaukee!

May 11, 17 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

You're underestimating his abilities.

May 11, 17 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

higher than I expected.

May 12, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Why buy, when you can get one for free?

May 12, 17 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm not sure what the ethical issue is here, if any.  There certainly may be legal ramifications up the wazoo, if even a whiff of representation is made that the "product" as shown meets any and all regulations, from local to state to galactic.

May 11, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Runs on gas AND batteries.

May 11, 17 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Four bedroom, Five baths for $200,000. Also known as a Foreclosure.

May 11, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

ethical? you will run into all sorts of problems, number one being different zoning and building codes in every place, but ethics is not one of them. There is a reason people hire local architects and we live close to the places we build. We have had several "local architect representative" requests from other architects in the country, I can almost hear the laughs at the building dept if someone walks in with plans bought off the internet.

May 11, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

It kind of sounds like McMansion Hell might make fun of your work in a few years?

May 11, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

But Wait!!! If you act within the next 20 minutes you can get a SECOND FLOOR PLAN for absolutely NO CHARGE (shipping and handling extra.)

May 11, 17 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Available exclusively here on QVC for only 4 easy payments of $49.95!

May 11, 17 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Yippee!

Professional quality at a fraction of the cost!

May 11, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I love the idea that a "free" second floor plan would be dangled as an inducement to buy.   And my handling always costs extra.

May 11, 17 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I have a great idea!  Sliced bread.  Now peoPle wont have to slice it themselves! 

May 11, 17 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

But jla-x, how will I heat it up?

May 11, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

...sliced toast!

May 11, 17 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
proto
A second floorplan?
Or
A second-floor plan?
May 12, 17 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ambiguity sells! I guess you'll find out when you get it. 

May 12, 17 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: