Archinect
anchor

U-M: Taubman College

ecelis

What are your thoughts for those who know about Taubman College or have been through the Undergraduate program specifically?

What are the facilities like? 

What is the style/culture of the program?

What technology and fabrication tools do they offer?

Any valuable information will be greatly appreciated. Visiting the school is difficult especially now since studios aren't currently in session there. I'm not really interested in ranking or name of a university, but more so the architecture program itself.

May 8, 17 1:28 am
Laurila

I am a grad student at Taubman, so I can really only speak to the facilities and technology. 

The facilities are actually in the process of being updated. We're finishing up a new wing and right now existing studio spaces are all being renovated. This includes a sorely needed HVAC upgrade. (The existing studio space is like 30,000 square feet of open space where all arch students are; it's a bitch to keep comfortable sometimes.) It also includes brand new desks and chairs, I believe Knoll and Herman Miller, respectively, if those names mean anything to you. 

The fabrication at the school is amazing. I tell this to everyone though, if you want to use, you need to put the initiative in. There is a fabrication class that every student takes to introduce us to each machine available, but if you're serious about Kuka robots and water jet cutters or whatever, put the energy in. Otherwise, you'll just be using the laser cutters and Zund cutter (which will change your life.) The school website will tell you all of the tools available. 

May 12, 17 12:20 am  · 
 · 
ecelis

Thank you for your response. The information you provided definitely helps better understand Taubman.

May 20, 17 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
ecelis

Thank you for your response. The information you provided definitely helps better understand Taubman.

May 20, 17 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
ecelis

How would you describe the University as a whole? I am from SoCal (which is very warm), and have only been a part of a local community college. What is the culture of the University like vs. that of the Taubman Studio culture?

May 20, 17 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: