Archinect
anchor

Are jobs in architecture academia popular?

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I have heard that education is one of the best industries to work in:

-The job is fairly easy to do (Frank Abagnale quote: I just read one chapter ahead of my students; they never realised.)

-Less hours (no work in summer, easter, xmas)

-Little stress 

-Job security

-Upward mobility with length of service

The school I graduated from recruits MArch graduates (with little to no professional experience) as teaching staff for 1st & 2nd year. I guess that says a lot about the quality of the school, but also raises this question:

If these jobs are indeed popular, how come they are taken by recent graduates and not by experienced professionals who are by far better applicants? 

May 4, 17 7:09 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 13 Comments

∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Huh?
May 4, 17 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

what you have learned is completely the opposite on almost every point

May 4, 17 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Da fuk?
May 4, 17 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

"Little stress"

May 4, 17 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

I will say that teaching can be a great deal of fun.

But anyone claiming that it's easy, low-stress, and guarantees job security and upward mobility has never done it.  Or done it well, let's say.

May 4, 17 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

You really don't think you'll get "paid" teaching 1,2 studio sections a year do you? 

May 4, 17 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

...how come they are taken by recent graduates and not by experienced professionals....

Prob because the position doesn't pay anything and has no job security.  In short, no one else will take it.  To become a full professor is a good gig, but very hard to do.

May 5, 17 9:11 am  · 
 · 
The only people I've ever heard say that teaching is easy and low stress are people who have never taught.
May 5, 17 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Ok it sees I got it all wrong then.

May 5, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Yeah, teaching is probably one of those gigs that  used to be great but isn't any more.  Like being an airline pilot or even a lawyer.

Tenure is probably almost impossible to get in a university these days unless you are connected.  Today, everybody comes in as an adjunct instructor, which is on a par with intern architect, and most probably stay there.  Higher ed is an industry that is heading for a crash.

May 5, 17 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

how many of you have worked in academia? just curious..

May 5, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I did, briefly. Then years later looked into it more seriously but backed down once I saw the schedule and pay system. Best to actually work in the field rather than "teach". Let that to those who can't work in the real world.

May 5, 17 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I have for twenty two years. If you are excessively intelligent, a PhD and academia  can be a good choice. If you are excessively talented, practice is a better choice. If you are neither, you will find yourself making minimum wage for the joy of teaching. 

May 5, 17 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Been doing it nowhere near as long as mespellrong, but it's not the picnic that it appears. 

May 6, 17 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: