Archinect
anchor

Resources for an unlicensed designer -- where to start

westcoast810817

I'm looking for good resources to build a knowledge base regarding the processes of taking a design through construction.  My degree is in another field so I have virtually no knowledge of the design and construction process -- what type of construction drawings are delivered to whom and when, permitting processes, conforming to building codes, etc etc.  Looking more for sources on the actual logistical, construction, and legal processes etc.  I understand the design limitations impossed on unlicensed practitioners and that even then most plans will have to get stamped by a licensed architect but beyond that my knowledge is pretty low-level.  Looking to get a broad overview of the whole proccess and what all the steps are and then be able to dive down in-depth into each step.  Haven't had much luck finding any solid web resources or textbooks.  If sources relate specifically to building in California even better but any suggestions that can start to give me a good foundation are appreciated.

May 4, 17 8:05 pm
Non Sequitur
That's why you hire an architect.
May 4, 17 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Do construction, you'll learn a ton, and then eventually work for an architecture firm
May 4, 17 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Consultation starts at $150 an hr.

May 4, 17 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
westcoast810817

So my situation is...I'm 36 and have an established career in another field and have the expenses and responsibilities that go along with all of that.  Obviously, at some point if design is something I'm going to pursue that all has to be transitioned out of but at the moment I don't have the financial flexibility (or desire honestly) to start in an entry level position in construction, or intern at an architecture firm, or apply to architecture school etc.  That doesn't mean I'm looking for short cuts.  I'm not afraid of a long road of disciplined self-study and practice, it's served me well in life to this point.  Right now I'm just trying to build a basic knowledge of the industry to use as a point of departure.  To try and get a grasp on the magnitude of such an endeaver, on how long the learning curve would be, and the practical realities involved.

I know a lot of these "unlicensed designer" posts are favorite targets for people that can't resist the opportunity for snarky or dismissive comments, and if you really have nothing better to do with your time go ahead I'm all for free speech, but constructive advice is of course what I'm seeking and is very appreciated.

May 5, 17 2:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
You're looking for a short cut to something most of us here spent a decade training. It's not snark, it's a reality slap. Architecture is not a casual hobby. It's great not to want to start at the bottom, but that's not how things work when you have zero experience.

Take a envening building science course at a local college. It won't get you far, but at least you can start somewhere. From there, look up the course book list and syllabus of most B.Arch or M.arch.
May 5, 17 2:28 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Go to CSI and search for the tests that they offer. CDT test would be a great start for you.
May 5, 17 10:49 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Start anywhere.  First, You are not an "unlicensed designer", you are a "designer".  No need to attach a negative to a positive.  Designer is a positive word and also a very broad one.  Second, look at what others have done.  Ando is self taught. He is pretty great.  Second, read and observe everything of interest and sketch until you develop blisters (seriously, blisters should be a goal) .  Third, begin to design anything.  Fourth, begin to focus on a specific typology that interests you (housing, gardens, furniture, etc) know your legal limits, and the limits of your skills and resources.  Start small and work up. Start with a coffee table.  Build stuff.  Have fun.  It will take about 10,000 hours to become any good, but self study can be the most potent form of learning for some people. 

May 5, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

buy & study all the a.r.e. material. more specifically, construction documents & services, building design & construction systems, & site planning & design.keep studying & taking practice quizzes & test till you score about 70%. keep in mind tho, according to ncarb, it takes people wit college degrees in architecture & sum work experience roughly 3-4yrs on avg jus to pass all 7 exams

May 7, 17 12:38 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I study the AIA Emerging Professional's Companion. It is a great source for understanding a wealth of information that combined with the CDT and a host of other things I feel confident I can complete a project.

May 7, 17 3:54 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Ricky, op said they want fast comprehensive material on architecture, specifically the business side, contracts, delivery methods, etc..., in my mind a way to get up to speed is study the a.r.e. material; it basically covers everything one needs to know! I think its obvious at this point without an accredit degree one cannot sit for actual exams so you dont hav to fear the addition of another architect to the pool

May 7, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

public projects are often required to be available to the public in a city office somewhere, so if you want to see construction documents and get a quick idea of what the legal process and submittals look like, you can try to find a local public project and follow it for a little while.  ask the clerk questions, find out who the plans reviewer is and ask them questions while you're there.  seems to me those people are usually fairly congenial if you don't take up too much of their time.

read rick's posts and keep in mind he is basically what you are aspiring to be.

my last thought for you is that you don't get shortcuts.  everybody starts at the beginning, unless you were born into significant influence.

May 7, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

How about client relations? How do you know if a client is serious? How do you know if your client is dumping you? If a client does not reply does that mean they will not hire you? I mean I have had a lot...a lot of projects just slip thru my fingers, big 5 figure projects as well as smaller 4 figure projects. The biggest was a 6 million dollar home. Will these projects come back? I am however starting to understand if you want to survive get with a contractor and I have two of them pretty close to me just haven't got me working yet. I also have a meeting scheduled with a local designer(how am I going to afford to pay for lunch when I am unemployed?ahhhhhh).

What gives

May 7, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Thanks for the response, that is where I am at though, trying to convince someone who is willing to hire me . Finding that client who is excited seems to be the missing link to my success. Looks like I need to create a elevator pitch that best represents my talents. If I would have won half of the projects that have came to me I would have 5 figures in my bank account easy, looking to get into the next step to complete my lofty ambitions. The contractors that I am working for, one I have known since kindergarden who took over his dad's business and the other was a cold call that responded and asked for a pricing proposal. The relationship I think should be a professional one with respect to each others profession. Seems like I should just keep tweaking pitch and being patient, and just keep going to college.

May 7, 17 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Enoch Sears of Business of Architecture is a god send I have been following him on YouTube. This is some great stuff man I find my self heart beating and all like "Hell Yeah its go time" only from them to say uhh hey I'll give you a call in a week with revisions... :( ....To be fair the developer did say the site plan was going thru revisions. Lastly after all of the extra courses on architectural visualizations I have paid for I should at least give this a try. Nice stuff (but is not free he asks for money at the end)

May 7, 17 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
westcoast810817

Wow ok thanks so much guys.  This is exactly what I was looking for, lots of great resources and ideas.  

Non-Seq: Don't worry I'm under no illusions as to the magnitude of work and discipline involved in this pursuit.  I guess if you define a shortcut as any amount of time less than the decade + you've spent training then maybe, yes, I'm looking for one, but I'm certainly assuming the length of that shortcut will be measured in some number of years (plus the lifelong pursuit of expanding a craft...)  Right now I'm just trying to comprehend as much of the endeavor's scope as possible so that I can weigh the amount of work to be done against my available time and come up with a suitable plan of attack.  Not afraid to start at the bottom, I'm doing that right now, my bottom might just look a little different.  Good advice on the building science course and the course syllabi/reading lists, thank you for that.  

s=r: Great advice re the A.R.E. material.  There's much room for improvement across the board for me but I did take a fair number of arch history courses in college and have meandered my way through a modest personal library on design and theory over the last decade and a half so I guess my inclination right now is to gravitate towards the largest gaps in my knowledge which is definitely the whole business/construction/documents etc aspect of the industry.

Rick: Awesome advice and resources.  Thank you.

Do you guys have any suggestions for Californian building designers that are currently producing good work that I could look up?  Would be interested to see what talented people are doing with the limitations imposed without a license.

May 9, 17 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
westcoast810817

Sound advice. There was quite a good Ellwood exhibit here in LA I saw a little while back.

Regarding the woodframe requirements I've seen that section of the APA before, I saw you talk about this on another thread recently, and I think I understand but basically you can design most anything without restrictions (maybe not hospitals/schools etc?) as long as you have an architect/engineer stamp/produce the construction drawings and oversee the construction? And obviously take a large chunk of your fee in the process. Do other restrictions, such as number of stories, 4 unit max on multifamily projects, etc remain in place?

Not that this is really a realistic concern for someone starting out, just curious.

May 13, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Thats what foreign architects do. Peter Zumthors LACMA for example.

May 13, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Fuck all that. All you need is a paying client. Competence won't necessarily help you get one. Neither will ethics. Start with marketing.

May 14, 17 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Architects Handbook for Professional Practice google it

Jan 19, 19 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
danielha

wow!

Jan 20, 19 2:39 am  · 
 · 
danielha

jen

Jan 20, 19 2:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: